Thrifting for kitchen tools

Great score!

1 Like

A thing of beauty indeed!

3 Likes

A friend pointed me to this guy’s channel. He’s got various tech reviews etc. but this one focused on repairing Sunbeam toasters, including some tips on replacing the cord, and how to adjust tension if the auto-lower/raise feature isn’t working properly.

3 Likes

if you got the same Zyliss garlic press I have, it’s worth the $10 by itself. I love those things. Sturdy, effective, easy to clean…

2 Likes

At first, I was disappointed about the thrifting scene in Hawaii compared to Washington, but it turned out to be decent once I found out where to look.

8 Likes

You raked in all those Fisslers on one trip? You Win The Internet!

1 Like

Yeah that was exciting! Facebook marketplace, $20 for the pair. The Demeyere was from offerup - the seller was asking $29 but I had to pay an additional $40 for shipping, so I’m not sure that really counts as a thrift buy. The rest were from thrift stores for pretty cheap.

1 Like

Holy grail! Good day. Props to ya! Look to be in great shape.

On Kaua’i?

Honolulu.

Wouldn’t be near Kahala, would it?

Oh yeah, probably a 10-15min drive from here

I have a dear friend with a house in Black Point, who clued me in to a Goodwill in the high rent district (maybe technically outside Kahala). I remember it having lots of scarce Tori Richard cotton lawn Aloha shirts.

1 Like

That’s the one I used to go to, but they shut it down during covid. They’re rebuilding that building and there are Goodwill posters on the site, so hopefully it’ll be back at some point. The best place I found here so far is a store called Savers in kalihi.

1 Like

Thanks!

OMG!! I scored a Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Skillet for $8, this morning at Goodwill. I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning and it looks perfect.

I also got this heart shaped baking pan ($1.75) for Valentines Day. My girlfriend will enjoy getting her Valentines Day cake in the shape of a heart.

15 Likes

Wow, excellent find!

Yours looks like black ECI interior which is ideal.

I had one in the exact same shape but with black phenolic handle rather than wood, and unfortunately it had a non stick interior that promptly wore down even with normal use and rendered the pan pretty useless.

It always surprises me when I (uncommonly) stumble across le creuset at thrift stores. Once I contemplated buying a badly beat up damaged dutch oven there to try to send it in for their warranty replacement. I’m no goody two shoes but I felt guilty, and also I didn’t want the hassle.

1 Like

Envious! Nice find!

1 Like

Today I got a spice/coffee grinder (blade type) for my 2nd daughter for $3, branded as “Barnie’s Coffee & Tea Co.” and made by Bosch DE according to the bottom. It looks unused or was extremely well cleaned when turned in. No residue and no scratches anywhere in the stainless “pan”.

Another pickup was an Instant Pot Duo Plus for $12. As far as I can tell, it’s unused. There’s no residue on the bottom of the pot, inside or out, and in particular, the silicone gasket/seal is uncolored and has no scent at all (this gasket usually quite quickly picks up odors). Not sure if anyone in the immediate family wants this (married daughter #1 already has one, maybe D2 or D3 wants it) but I could run it up North to either of my sisters if they’re interested. I just couldn’t ignore a $100 device selling at $12.

And if no one wants it, I’ll just re-gift it to the Humane Society store, and they’ll be $12 improved thereby.

6 Likes

Barnie’s was a forerunner of Starbucks here in Florida. The stores are long gone but they still sell the brand in the groceries here.

That grinder probably dates to the 90s, but the condition and brand suggest it will perform well for you!

2 Likes