Those three canisters-

I don’t know if someone already mentioned this, but there was a recent New York Times article about reusing storage containers like Royal Dansk cookie tins. My apologies if you can’t access it.

8 Likes

Fruitcakes from Texas, always at Christmas, from our lone star state relatives.
Thread and buttons are what they always held.

6 Likes

In my grandmother’s kitchen, we ate salad from thick plastic bowls in a rainbow of colors. Who needed salad bowls when you could reuse empty margarine tubs?

In addition those bowls and also Cool Whip tubs doubled as “Tupperware” for leftovers. Tupperware? A needless extravagance in my grandmother’s opinion. She knew how to feed a lot of people with little money.

8 Likes

That was a fun read! It had me thinking about how long my Tupperware lasted I have three pieces that are more than thirty five years old and in great shape, but two had tops that broke and I’ve never figured out how to replace them.

5 Likes

Excellent- thanks! I guess it’s not set in stone- or ceramic or metal. That’s what I was looking for, so I can put my private stash of Haribo gummies in one, then…

1 Like

Ha- I bet Tupperware would be glad to replace those canisters…

1 Like

Neither did we, which is probably why I can’t remember what the small one was for

2 Likes

I was just going to say the same thing.

2 Likes

Wow … Interesting.

My grandmothers used glass – tupperware (not the brand - just as a word for the bowls storing left overs) and they had blue covers …

Funny … I usually use glass too or ceramic if I have leftovers, as I do not like plastic for obvious reasons. We do not usually have left overs. Just during the holidays or long weekends …

Sometimes in the colder months – i take the leftover pastas to the office for the gals ! They love …

3 Likes

My daily use black tea leaves are in a larger (airtight) container than those canisters.

Tea as its drunk in tea cultures - not teabags.

Of course I had to check it out.

3 Likes

Well I’ll be darned- sounds like a sorta-complex-but-quite-fair process. I’m a little surprised, but good for them.

When I bought my 4 graduated canisters, they were colored glass and had no labels at all. Happily, I could put anything is them I wanted as long as it fit. The lids were ground to fit each one and sealed nicely.

2 Likes

Wonderful thread! I always hated those labeled canisters because they never reflected what we kept at hand. Never tea or coffee in a less than air-tight container. And flour, since my mother made bread and biscuits frequently, would never have left its sack. Totally wasted motion. Nice on other people’s counters but not ours.

5 Likes

I keep 4-5 of those old crockery cheese jars for grease. Bacon fat, schmalz, duck fat, beef tallow, pork fat…

3 Likes

Following this thread, because I love tins. I collect them, and routinely rotate them through my kitchen and pantry storage as the mood strikes me. I should delete the ebay app from all my devices.

7 Likes

Weed.

6 Likes

LOLOL

Mom had those canisters and sugar was the only one we used for its intended purpose. Maybe she used flour too. But the coffee was kept in the Folgers can with the plastic lid. No airtight concerns back then. :laughing:

5 Likes

Benjamins?

2 Likes

Yes, by all means Benjamin’s - really like that idea!

1 Like