The Short Life Span of Appliances Nowadays

(Gwenn) #265

Oh my! That is awful. Been there with that kind of flooding. ServPro is great! Sorry!!

Bummer!!! There just isn’t any way to be compensated for the hassle

They do make a sell a device called Leak-Stop, that has a sensor on the floor that when it get wet shuts down the water supply to the hoses of an appliance. They screw on to the water outlets, then the hoses attach to the device. They do have a fail safe, if there is an electrical or power outage, the device stays in the closed position.
Additionally they do make stainless steel braided water supply hoses that I have used in commercial/industrial applications (laundromats/food processing machines).

(Denise) #268

Good tip. We had our washer connected with a braided stainless hose after we learned it was possible. We also installed a lever control that makes it easy to turn the water on and off.

I wonder why that’s not standard practice, given that the rubber water supply hoses are prone to failure?

Where I work stainless hoses are mandatory for an installation.

(John) #270

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Scuba is right - it’s the hassle of the whole thing. It’s not like I didn’t have other stuff to do. But, the insurance is in progress, the water & debris is gone & so we’ll move forward.

Keep in mind in the USA most building codes do not regulate the use of the water supply after it leaves the valve to the appliance. Thus the hoses in most residential applications are not regulated by any code. Also keep in mind that in new installations, most of it is built by the “lowest bidder”.

At least you will have a fresh paint job!

(Gwenn) #273

We did the same after our hose broke and the water flooded down the walls. Good thing we were home at the time!!

This has an interesting segment with an interview from Consumer Reports re: refrigerators.