The Short Life Span of Appliances Nowadays

Thanks Pilgrim, just couldn’t think of what it was. Brain was intruding with CLR.

Brilliant tip! I wash them in the dishwasher too.

Oh no! Hope your floor and machine is not damaged.

At times, I put some pipe cleaner into the drainage of DW, I worried about the possibility of foam, luckily there wasn’t any.

Once, I cleaned the rubber seal and put it back in reverse, the machine started leaking and we called the repair guy…it costed me 120€. Honestly, I see no difference with the 2 sides, maybe one side with a more slanted angle.

Yes, mine has one, and for some reasons, the machine protests and refuses to wash even if it is clean.

I do all this, but the machine seems never happy enough. I see less and less point to pre-rinse and pre-clean the dishes and need to wait for days to load a full machine (we are only 2) and to discharge it. Also as the machine is getting older, it makes more noise when compared to before. Since coming back from the travel, I get into the habit of hand washing instantly most stuff, as I was staying in places without DW.

1 Like

Maybe it’s time for a new one?

1 Like

We got a dishwasher in the 50s. My mother was out and dad did what you did but he must have used a lot more soap bc there ended up being suds 3 feet deep in the kitchen. At least there was a linoleum floor.

3 Likes

So this weekend my dryer died. It’s 4. It’s a no frills GE. Got an appointment for yesterday - $118 to walk in the door. Vinny, the tech arrived exactly on time and in a no nonsense, knew what was wrong way, he replaced the dial,the thing now works and said “OK, let me get out of here fast so I don’t have to charge you.” Best appliance repair ever!

10 Likes

I have tsp on hand but haven’t needed to use it. Didn’t think to add it. Thanks for the tip.

I found the stainless baffles have not gotten as clean as I would have hoped so have just been doing the by hand with Grease lighting as the solvent

I don’t know this product Will check it out. Many thanks.

I hope this isn’t downthread already, but try toastercentral.com

1 Like

fridge and washer, I always replaced with braided stainless steel hoses after neighbor learned the hard way.
Also, bought water sensor for home alarm for bathroom and garage in case we’re away and get a nasty surprise.

2 Likes

This is hardly a pressing emergency, especially due to current situation.
Our wine refrigerator, while under 4 years old, has stopped cooling.
The compressor is still running, however. We’ve checked a few things out to no avail. Wondering if anyone has some DIY tips or expertise in refrigerants? Kind of get the idea that replacement may be the best option. Lamenting the fact it will end up in the land fill, if so.

Refrigeration is fundamentally really simple. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigeration and scroll WAY down to Figure 1. Since the compressor is running about the only thing to go wrong is a leak. There is a small chance of a piece of solder from poor manufacture clogging the orifice in the expansion valve but that is really unlikely. Refrigerant (which most people refer to as “freon”) cools the compressor so the compressor is probably running hot. I’d unplug it until you can get it serviced. Sorry. There is usually a drier in the circuit also which is another low probability failure.

The repair is easy. They’ll have a can of refrigerant and gauges to measure pressure at the inlet and outlet of the compressor. They’ll charge the system and go looking for leaks with an electronic sniffer. There isn’t anything complicated about this but you’d need a vacuum pump, the refrigerant which in most states certainly including WA requires certification to purchase, the gauges, and the sniffer. It’s $800-1,000 worth of kit. I could talk you through it. Getting all the bits is not going to happen.

As you say, a wine chiller is hardly essential. First world problem as you indicate. Still, frustrating when something doesn’t work as it ought.

I appreciate all this information @Auspicious, will let you know how it all shakes out.

Something else unlikely occurred to me. I think you said the unit is pretty new. If the condenser coils get clogged with dust you’ll get the same symptoms. It’s unlikely but easy to check - pull the cooler out so you can see the back and bottom. Vacuum out any dust.

H said he already did that, and checked the fans too. I’m going to call the appliance store where we bought everything to try to get a guesstimate on possible repair. They’re closed, but taking calls, and accepting appointments. Hate to say it, but think replacement may be our best option. Irritating to think major large appliances are designed to be disposable.

Ridiculous but true.

1 Like

Talked to an appliance store we’ve done business with over the years, that have a great reputation. The owner asked if we could load it up and bring it in for an evaluation. He’ll let us know if its worth repairing, thus saving a service call, if not.

He also said used appliances rarely go into landfills - they’re usually shipped to foreign countries, where they’re scrapped and remade into new appliances…

There are issues with HVAC-R orientation. Try very hard to keep the wine cooler upright during transport. That will make diagnosis more accurate.

You can expect your appliance store to put a vacuum pump on to suck any remaining refrigerant, water, air out of the system. If he can’t get it vacuumed there is a big leak which is good news. Usually they can identify that and solder it. If it gets to vacuum the meter starts running and labor can rapidly exceed replacement.

Thanks @Auspicious, these people are great to deal with, and will give us the straight story. If it gets very $$, we’ll just replace. Thanks for the tip about keeping it upright, we can do that.

1 Like