The Great Big Jewish Food Fest

Thanks! I just signed up to hear about Russian picnicking. Too bad we can’t go to a real one!

1 Like
1 Like

That’s my 'hood! I did my holiday brunch shopping last Wednesday and hit three of the places in the video. I ate a spinach knish in the same park as the guys (except I sat on a bench) while I was waiting for my number to come up at Russ & Daughters. Then I went to the Pickle Guys. I’m there a lot - I live right down the street.

5 Likes

Miss those places.

Disappointed at the kids poor mask and distancing discipline. Now about the grammar… grin

I miss the LES too.

Oh, I don’t have to miss it. I’m still there.

2 Likes

Those of you who are on this thread may be interested in this as well:

2 Likes

The blog is loaded with reading material.
Reminds me of the dancer/baker, Challah Prince.

1 Like
2 Likes

O>M>G>. What a talent. I’m starving.

1 Like

Drool…

I’ve had The Pickle Guys ship to me but it’s pretty expensive. They run sales with free shipping but not on their pickled tomatoes, which is what I crave from there. Their pickles (full sour) are good but a bit salty for my taste. I’ve started making my own and have had really good luck adding some white vinegar to the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook recipe. You can take the kid out of New York but you can’t take New York out if the kid! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I sent pickles to my parents and sister for Hanukkah this year, since I wasn’t hosting them for our usual holiday brunch. You THINK it’s free shipping, but I know what a quart costs in the store ($10) vs in the online package deal ($18). They are super nice guys in there, though - when I first started making my own pickles about 10 years ago, the owner gave me a half-pint of their pickling spice. Now I make my own regularly in the summer, when I can get fresh cucumbers (either from my own vines or at the Greenmarket). Not with vinegar, though - is the Second Ave Deli recipe for vinegar or fermented pickles?

3 Likes

It’s fermented but a small amount of vinegar adds a nice punch I like and cuts the saltiness. Per a big discussion on a board I switched from Morton’s to Diamond Crystal salt and that helped too.

2 Likes

We make a few kinds of pickles at home. It’s a task that seems to work out great as a togetherness activity. For day to day pickles we buy at the store. I found this of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MgYPB0O1nI .

I love a factory tour, but I doubt those pickles are any good (by my standards). I do not trust “pickle juice” that isn’t the brine the pickles were fermented in, for starters. Batampte is the only jar pickle I’ve ever thought was even halfway decent.

1 Like

You’re in pickle heaven compared to the West Coast.

Oh, I know. But it’s not hard to make your own, and cukes grow pretty much anywhere, I think.

1 Like

@bbqboy - WHAT, you mean we don’t have good pickles here? How about bagels, maybe? I’m shattered! You know, anything “Oregon style” has to be good…except pickles/bagels?

It does pain me somewhat that I’ve probably never had a really great pickle or bagel. No basis for comparison, even! Not a big pickle fan, maybe that’s why. Bagels are a different story, however.

1 Like

Agreed, but the culture underlying the pickles is what’s missing.
Lots of fermentation out here though.
:slight_smile: