The Great Big Jewish Food Fest

Challah bagels from the GBJFF recipe links. Finally gave it a try.

The holes were too tight but the dough is tasty.

6 Likes

https://sonomabrinery.com/products

https://bubbies.com/

I found these 2 ā€œfreshā€ brands in the cooler at my favorite store.
I see a business opportunity in the PNW.
:slight_smile:

Bubbies I have had and they are delicious.

1 Like

Cool :sunglasses:
I didnā€™t mean to imply either of these were bad, only that thereā€™s room for local and regional expansion.
Now Iā€™ll get some of the Sonoma ones and report back :slight_smile:

Huh, I didnā€™t think you were. Lolā€¦just sharing Iā€™m familiar with that specific brand. Happy hunting!

We have Batampte pickles available in a few markets here and theyā€™re the best of all jarred pickles Iā€™ve tried, but itā€™s their ā€˜sourā€™ tomatoes I really love. They used to be here too but have slowly disappeared over the past few years. Iā€™ve bought both pickles and tomatoes from The Pickle Guys (in New York) but the cost of shipping to the West Coast is prohibitive. For some reason they never include tomatoes in their free shipping deals.

Iā€™ve been making my own pickles, using the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook recipe, and theyā€™re pretty darned good IIDSSM.

2 Likes

I thought I was having deja vu - you said pretty much exactly this to me on 1/2. See?

1 Like

Yup. I really feel strongly about it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Apparently! Now I want a sour tomato.

1 Like

Lovely bread ā€¦

Revisitingā€¦I gave my sister two of the spice blends and kept two for home use. Chai and Bubbiā€™s Bakery I kept. I use the chai blend in shortbread cookies, cinnamon buns and smoothies. Bubbiā€™s bakery blend for rugelach cookies. Neither has more than 4-5 recipes worth in those mini jars. 100% of the sale proceeds go towards sponsorship for college meals plans.

2 Likes

Thanks @Barca. Iā€™m trying to learn and get more familiar and comfortable cooking and baking from technique driven recipes.

2 Likes

I am amused by how enraged the notion of ā€˜challah bagelā€™ is making me. I guess itā€™s like the egg bagel in that itā€™s a bagel made with an enriched dough but the type of dough and consistency are so different. In that regard I guess itā€™s no surprise that the hole would be so, erm, tight.

Enraged? They are a delicious hybrid baked by a guy (me) learning how. Too bad I canā€™t share one with you. The recipe was demonstrated and shared during the festival this thread is based on. Many of the demos/recipes are updated and modern baking approaches to jewish recipes.

2 Likes

Please do calm down, itā€™s only food! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I can live with egg bagels, but do not get me started on cinnamon raisin or blueberry. Iā€™m not sure about challah bagels. Challah is a thing. Bagels are a thing. Maybe the fusion of the two should have another name altogether.

3 Likes

How about bhallahs. :wink:

2 Likes

I think the holes didnā€™t form properly because I didnā€™t stretch them enough. In the recipe, the holes are fine; like most bagels should look. Practice makes perfect.

Chagels.

3 Likes

Recipe page from last years fest. Placeholder.

1 Like