The Great Big Jewish Food Fest

The Food Fest is over, but …

" If you missed a session or a recipe, or want to take a virtual tour of the Lower East Side or find some fun activities for the whole family, please check out our website."

There are also some cool-sounding videos like Herring, and Lox Slicing from Russ and Daughters, and all about gefilte fish from the Gefilteria.

2 Likes

Such a resource over the fest run! I learned a ton and overall led to dozens of links I will continue to visit.
Thxs for the heads up.

1 Like

@Rooster - I think your braiding is most respectable, and the resulting loaves are beautiful. Challah is one of my favorite breads, but I’ve always used the Silver Palate recipe, which I love. I’ve saved the one you used to give it a try. H always braids, because he’s Greek. I’m not Jewish, but have friends that are, and I love some of the foods.

Thanks! I’m going to try a round braided loaf next time. I have much to learn about the traditions even 1/2 Jewish.

1 Like

During the Great Big Jewish Fest, I read about a spice company, Meet My Kneads. I ordered one of their spice blend bundles to try after learning 100% of the proceeds supports college students struggling to pay for meals. Each blend has a clever Jewish reference and baking purpose.

4 Likes

Thanks. I missed that. You’ll have to let us know how you use them and what you think. Great names!

1 Like

Especially love the cinnamon name @Rooster!

1 Like

Can spices be adorable? Cuz those are.

1 Like

I made this apple walnut cake with their cinnamon blend. Just enjoyed it with my coffee.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! Just sent a couple to a friend in D.C. who is living in the middle of the chaos but still baking challah and bagels. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Avert your eyes, MsBean!! No need for more spices right now!!

3 Likes

I know. I put some in my cart and then couldn’t figure out where I’d put them so I left them there. It was painful

1 Like

HA! I was certain you had the whole collection on overnight delivery. :rofl::smile::rofl::smile:

2 Likes

I’m really trying. It is hard.

1 Like

Oh come on now…you get no sympathy from me. Spices are there to be celebrated. Dig in.

3 Likes

Thanks again for the tip on the spices! They arrived today and my friend is thrilled; says he’ll try them this week and report back, but he’s a graphic designer and loved their packaging (and their story).

1 Like

That’s awesome.

1 Like

Thanks for posting these @Rooster; although I need no new spices for self, I have Jewish friends who would appreciate greatly, as well as get a good laugh. Especially a bf, I always send spices to anyway.

2 Likes

When you visit their website, you will see additional spice blend offerings. The owner is a nice lady too.

1 Like

Some of the companies involved in the fest are continuing to offer online events.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lets-picnic-russian-style-w-darra-goldstein-and-sasha-shor-tickets-108147558258?utm_source=JFS+Newsletter&utm_campaign=8db14832b4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_09_28_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fe5a0fb602-8db14832b4-97397169&mc_cid=8db14832b4&mc_eid=0b73612358

1 Like