The Good News Thread In The Age of Corona

All I’m saying is if it works for you go for it. Poison? C’mon, let’s all use a little bit of common sense.

You’re right, except that common sense isn’t that common.

1 Like

Muscadines, aka scuppernongs, are large and have thickish skin. Vivian Howard’s PBS series, A Chef’s Life, featured them in one episode. A friend who lives in Charlotte NC told me they don’t see them in supermarkets.

I guess I didn’t phrase that right. I meant if you want to try green tea, grapes and dark chocolate then go right ahead.

But using poison? No way!!

1 Like

I knew you were right. Just remembering the sad report of people who swallowed fish-tank cleaner because of something they heard.

1 Like

Someone gifted this box of goodies for me this morning.

I think this definitely constitutes “good news”. Covid, or no Covid.

11 Likes

My inlaws in Georgia have grown them as well. My sister lives in Durham. Both in laws and sister have introduced me to crazy beetle bugs that I do not see here in Nor Cal. Yikes! We have IS that?

1 Like

I love trains and Christmas and the decorations. A neighbor put up what I call the Santa train with Santa Claus driving a steam locomotive with three cars full of presents. It wasn’t up last year but is back and and I couldn’t be happier.

It’s the best Christmas decoration I’ve ever seen! :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree:

6 Likes

For those wanting a white Christmas - my brother’s house in Anchorage. Just beautiful, and I was wishing for snow here right before I got these pics! Like so much this year, will have to enjoy vicariously.

I don’t see many babies these days because of not going out. A new grandnephew, brought by the Christmas stork, apparently.

8 Likes

Congratulations … Oh so sweet …
Beautiful photos …

All our best wishes during these highly challenging times and the Season´s Best …
Happy New Year 2021.

1 Like

Thank you so much, and same to you and yours! As well, be safe too, and we’ll hopefully be out of this global pandemic in another few months @Barca.

1 Like

Growing up in Houston we could usually count on running around barefoot on Christmas or New Year’s but one year it was 7 degrees on Christmas, must have been nice and balmy up north.

I recall snow once during the holidays on Christmas Eve. It snowed in the evening and I had to work of course. The Wifeacita kept going out checking on the snow, it’s a big deal down here because it rarely happens.

She ended up locking the regular lock and the deadbolt and retired to bed.

She didn’t wake up as I pounded on the door so I had to throw coins at the window to wake her up as I froze in my windbreaker, the total extent of my winter gear. At least it snowed.

For those wanting a white Christmas

4 Likes

Ugh. I never wish for a white Christmas: it’s cold, it’s wet and it makes getting to the gathering place a hassle.

The Christmas Stork delivery, on the other hand, is worth the hassle. He is beautiful (and beautifully attired :grinning:

2 Likes

@gaffk - know it’s a big pain for most, but we have it only occasionally and it makes everything so gorgeous, unless you have to drive in it…

I also like to chill bottles of OJ, wine or bubbly out there, pretty handy!

Have had a few white Xmas’s during the years I’ve lived here, and according to the forecast, we could be getting snow here in the next few days!

But I’m wishing you a warm and dry holiday! Hope you and your mom enjoy all in good health.

2 Likes

We enjoyed an outstanding socially distanced dinner at our friends home last night. They have an awesome collection of miniature iconic Manhattan buildings. I thought I would share a few pictures.

10 Likes

Enjoyable collection. Thxs for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks Dan. It’s even more awesome in person with a bunch of moving parts including a train which I didn’t get a picture of.

1 Like

Impressive. And I thought mom’s Dickens village (more a metropolis) was extensive. She too has a bunch of moving parts, including a train. Setting those displays up is truly a labor of love.

1 Like

Yes it is a true labor of love. They also have a massive Dickens type of village as well that takes up a whole room. They have been collecting them for years.

1 Like