The Good News Thread In The Age of Corona

My dad turned a healthy, happy 95 today! He has finally started taking Covid seriously, which eases my fears a lot. He cooked his own birthday meal for himself, and his girlfriend today, and remains self sufficient, even with his significant sight and hearing deficits. I only hope to meet that milestone, and still be able to enjoy life so much.

He did say his birthday steak was extremely tough though! Guess what? He cut two steaks from a rump roast…dad! (I usually advise him on stuff like this.) He’s now saving the roast to make in the slow cooker. Good idea!

5 Likes

If I might say so and if you’re ok with the situation, I think it’s pretty cool that your 95 year old dad has a girlfriend.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yes you may! It’s the very best thing he could have done, six months after my mom passed. One cousin was quite judgmental about the timing, but when you’re 90, it shouldn’t matter! The GF has been a gift to our entire family, and there’s not a better woman out there for dad. She is so sweet, and funny @Miss_belle, and thank you.

7 Likes

It seems as though there is more Christmas spirit this year with tree sales up.

The Wifeacita indulges me while I aimlessly driving around looking at trains.

We like to listen to Christmas music on the local easy listening channel that plays it 24/7.

Our favorite is John Lennon’s “Happy Christmas” plus all the crooners and their great songs. Christina Aguilar elicits an instant channel change.

Merry Christmas! There, I said it!

We drove around looking at lights last night and folks are really stepping their games up. :hearts: :joy:

6 Likes

Son, DIL, and daughter decorated the tree WEEKS before Christmas! They used every ornament we had, while its usually the bestIcan do to get the tree in the stand and plug in the lights before they arrive for the holiday.

1 Like

I need to ask my Brother if he still has the purple Merry Christmas glass ornament that was my Grandmother’s and must be at least 80 years old, I’m sure he must still have it.

2 Likes

For me, it started with 5 handblown German ornaments that were from the 1930s and were my mother’s. A church, a Santa, a clown, a house, and I can’t recall the last one. The glass is so delicate and fragile, that after I moved out on my own and was adopted by cats, I stopped hanging them on the tree but hung them from the top of a tall bookcase to keep them from breaking.

I now have TONS of antique Christmas ornaments that I’ve purchased/collected at antique stores and auctions and later on eBay. But I no longer decorate, and I guess I should probably think about selling them. I just won’t ever sell the 5 from my late Mom. :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

This act, IF passed, would keep restaurants in business by paying them to feed hungry people who have lost their homes, jobs, and often their health and hope.

3 Likes

We haven’t put up lights at our apartment since we’ve been here but did tonight adding to the Wifeacita’s Christmas ornaments.

Oh no! I said it again, Christmas!

2 Likes

Our old folks battery operated blinking lights are on the porch. Tree is up. And the plug in red icicle lights we had outside last year are now draped in an archway inside. The house is lit up. And yes, it’s Christmas!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Dark chocolate? Mom and I are super immune by now!

3 Likes

Does this include Welch’s grape juice? That stuff is liquid crack. I limit my intake because of the sugar but say the word and I’ll guzzle away.

1 Like

Nature’s pharmacy.

The grapes used in Welch’s are not the muscadine type, AFAIK. Roughly, the American juice-and-pie type of grapes are quite different from the European wine-type of grapes. There’s much more detail but I don’t know it well enough.

That’s too bad, I’ll go back to binge drinking First Growth Bordeaux. I’ve got cases of Chateau Latour stacked to the ceiling, but of course no money in the bank. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Unfortunately, only some of the wine grapes fit the bill, and I don’t know whether any of the classic Bordeaux grapes do. I’m the kind of wine expert who only knows “Wine is an excellent idea” and no more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today I learned…

… that there’s a type of grapes grown in the southeastern US that’s actually called “muscadine grapes”. I mistook the word to mean “of the Muscat family”, which apparently is not it at all. They appear to be a local specialty that isn’t widely exported. Maybe the usual story of a local variety that tastes great but is on the small side and isn’t very disease-resistant so not grown everywhere.

1 Like

I have serious doubts about this scientific study funded by the US government. Yes, I read the whole article. The sale of green tea, dark chocolate and Muscadine grapes (if you can find some) will go through the roof. I guess if you believe in it, well just go for it.

2 Likes

Eating grapes and drinking tea is better than taking poison as some people have done in response to less responsible reporting.

1 Like