The Good News Thread In The Age of Corona

DD2, DD1, RS, X2? I’m lost.

Dear Daughter 2
Dear Daughter 1
RS - Rolling Stones
X2 - has been 2x with @Lambchop to a Stones concert?

6 Likes

All I could think RS was Rail Spot, a kooky railroad forum I’m on. Must be because I was out looking at trains all day.

1 Like

Oh man - this goes on the Nostalgia thread.

2 Likes
1 Like

Well @Auspicious, it’s cuz you’re a guy, and probably minimalist in certain ways, especially when on boats or yachts. Additionally I can only fathom that five years on the Barents Sea didn’t help matters, either! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Always knew you were a clever one @LindaWhit!

1 Like

Too much wacky stuff upon retirement @jcostiones! BTW, did my errand for a friend at unique boutique today. Place is like a supermarket with about 8 checkout counters; all product is behind the counters though. Anyway, today they all had signs telling you the name of your “BudTender” with the requisite tip jar. Thought it was pretty funny!

1 Like

Just to clarify, DD2 doesn’t in fact have a special mug for each day of week, but does have special ones for Friday, Sat, and Sun. Unknown to me until today. Likewise I had weekend mugs/cups unbeknownst to her until today, back when I was still gainfully employed. Miss Friday’s & weekends being special! Would still be working if I could…and no volunteering either until safe to do so.

2 Likes

I was really unsure whether this story best belongs in this “Good News” thread or the “Bad News” Covid thread. But to put it in context…

…the English Midlands city of Leicester has been effectively locked down due to a significant spike in infections. It’s possibly the UK’s most ethnically diverse city (outside of London), with over 40% of the population having a South Asian heritage. It’s also an area of significant economic deprivation, most seriously effecting the Asian community. The spike in infections appears to relate to that community, many of whom work in the garment “sweat shops” which have been long established in the city. It’s also been known, by labour activists, that there are some very poor (and illegal) employment practices, which will have contributed to the infection spike - inadequate safety procedures, payments below national minimum wage, employees required to come into work, even if they have Covid symptoms, etc.

So, good news that these practices are being significantly exposed and that the wholesalers are also being put under pressure. Bad news that these illegal practices are still going on in a modern 21st century European country.

Here’s part of today’s reporting - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53387587

4 Likes

Too adorable to not post; a friend’s friend found a kitten less than a week old, mama nowhere to be found, despite searching. The baby was rescued, and the finders are going to keep him!

![image|525x700]

Regarding the baby bird photos posted a couple months ago, sadly the outcome wasn’t good, due to a feral cat, and my friend’s dog. Couldn’t bring myself to post an update of bad news.

Think this situation will have a happy ending w/kitty getting a forever home.

7 Likes

I’m a railroad nut and my favorite mascot was Chessie the Railroad Kitten used by the Chesapeake and Ohio.

Look familiar.

In the spirit of kittens: https://www.gocomics.com/luann/2020/07/12

2 Likes

Now THAT is the everloving truth.

1 Like

Forgot the cutest one.

5 Likes

Yes, tabby’s look so alike. Loved the Wiki article, knew zero about any of it. What an adorable mascot to use, and was probably uplifting in war time. Just curious to know the depth and breadth of your railroad interest? I’ve read about Harriman, and his role in Sun Valley, Idaho becoming the US’s first ski resort destination. Tried to read Atlas Shrugged a few times, couldn’t get into it. Of course always tried to count train cars on road trips, waved to the caboose & stuff like that. Thanks for posting @jcostiones.

1 Like

Cute & thanks @Auspicious!

Does anyone know what Ina Garten is up to? She hasn’t posted on Instagram in a few weeks, which is unusual. Her quarantine posts have been fun and practical. I miss them!

(Sorry, not sure where to post this.)

My dad and his sibs were raised in Chase Alabama , a place where some railways came together, https://hawkinsrails.net/preservation/narm/narm.htm and where they grafted fruit trees for Chase nursery company. I have digital pictures somewhere, but not here.

I believe it was an “HBCU” that became Alabama A&M. I’m told my dad taught there at a crazy young age.

I have also heard that my grandfather and others of his generation worked as maybe porters on those railways, but I’m still looking for details.

3 Likes

This is for you @jcostiones! Listening to CSN& Y at the moment - Amost Cut My Hair is On. Turned up Loud. This makes it time for a glass of wine! Thanks for that! :smiley_cat::grin:

2 Likes