The death of vegetarianism. Hurrah for the winner - veganism

Back on thread, IMHO it only makes economic sense for restaurants to limit their non-animal plates to vegan. Why offer two similar but not interchangeable options? Small restaurants usually offer one meat, one foul, one fish and in recent years one “vegetarian”. All vegetarians can eat a vegan plate, but not all vegans can eat a vegetarian plate.

2 Likes

@Auspicious
Thought of you when I saw this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s well known that animal farming contributes about 14-18% of greenhouse gas emotion and us a significant factor in the global warming crisis. In addition, animal farming plays also a critical role in deforestation which again has a direct impact on global warming

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02409-7

5 Likes

Consider this ten ‘knife & fork’ likes. grin

ETA: Thinking about bacon wrapped bacon. Bacon weaves.

Seriously, I think the use of meat as a condiment vice centerpiece is often a good choice. However, animals taste good.

2 Likes

Opportunity. Since leaving for the west coast post college, my husband and I have gone to NYC perhaps 2x. The last time was also post the resto opening and post kids, but the kids were too young to bring to a place like that. If I had the chance now, I’d go in a heartbeat.

1 Like

This is an excellent point. People can do so much for their health and the environment if they reduce their meat consumption, and there are many ways to do it. One is of course having some vegetarian meals. But the other, as you say, is just to reduce meat portion size sometimes. My limited understanding of traditional Chinese cuisine is that meat is used as a condiment in an otherwise vegetable and grain heavy diet.

1 Like

India as well as China. Probably more of the world too.

In India many still eat meat/fish only once or twice a week - say Sunday, when everyone is home to enjoy Sunday lunch, and maybe another day.

My wife and I can easily share a chicken breast or a ribeye. One burger vice two. One pork chop. For things that don’t share we just eat less and have leftovers. That’s not to say we don’t have meat-heavy meals when we’re hungry or we just feel like it. I can eat a lot of pasta and Bolognese sauce. grin

2 Likes

I could have written this. We eat anything and everything we want, but big pieces of meat no longer interest us. We split small steaks and chops… Leftover protein is turned into Bolognese. Pasta with prawns and/or sausage occasionally. (Husband has resurrected the old wine snob mantra, ABC, now meaning Anything But Chicken.)

2 Likes

I LIKE chicken. grin

In the yachting world, at least for those who use the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (AICW or just ICW), there is a restaurant in Coinjock NC named the Coinjock Marina and Restaurant. Long face dock, fuel dock, pump outs, and a famous restaurant. https://coinjockmarina.takeout7.com/Ourmenu They have 32 oz prime rib that is also famous. Note I say “famous” not “good.” grin I’m an offshore guy but when I do find myself passing by crew want to stop. I consider the prime rib to be something to watch, not participate in. I eat the chicken. There are still leftovers for snacking during the pre-dawn departure. Crew can eat prime rib sandwiches for lunch for the next day or two.

1 Like

Have I mentioned that bacon is a vegetable and is good for you? grin

I like chicken too. But it’s become a hard sell to dh. Except, of course, chicken schnitzel, which goes by the house name of “mashed, smashed chicken”, so named by a young son years ago.

But staying on topic, equally acceptable are zucchini, green tomato or thin-cut eggplant “schnitzel”. Or the same grilled in a grill pan, + sweet onion halves or slices, scallions, Italian beans, sliced par-boiled potatoes.

2 Likes

Just watched a Q.I. rerun, in which the Breatharian diet was mentioned. You live (presumably not for long!) on air and light. The sublimely witty host, Sandi Toksvig, quipped that Breatharians must be the only people that could bore vegans at dinner parties.

3 Likes

An interesting piece here on how plant-based diets could limit the risk of another Covid (ie pandemic).

For those who might not read, the point is not so much directly related to eating but that the business of producing and selling meat heightens (significantly and for obvious reasons) the risk of zoonotic diseases and we can see this already.

2 Likes

Yah, that would fall under the vegan category. Two birds & all.

1 Like

Lots of people are lactose intolerant (10%-75% depending on where you are in the world) as opposed to vegan (0.4% in the US).

These type of posts always illicit hostility and mocking of vegetarians, vegans and people with legitimate allergies. It’s like someone’s dietary restrictions and food choices are a personal attack on meat eaters. Rarely do you see as strong a reaction to subjects like factory pig farms or the extinction of the bluefin tuna or other real issues.

5 Likes

If my posts lead you to this conclusion then I haven’t been wrong. Statistics do matter. Read my post upthread with the number of people who have various medical dietary restrictions and compare to the vegan choice numbers. There are one to two orders of magnitude difference. That’s a big deal.

We can talk about ethical choices. In my mind, medical restrictions are the real ones.

Nope, not necessarily you - but words, phrases & jokes about boring vegans, extreme ideology, fad, “woke”, this…

…always come up on these type of posts. It just is.

1 Like

You’ll love this one…

4 Likes