The Cookery (Dobbs Ferry NY)

I didn’t think bone marrow qualified as offal… But I’m not that familiar with offal… Maybe a question for a general board?

I googled it. Offal os innards and waste products of animals. I would think a food writer would know! But it IS Westchester magazine!

Ha!!!

One comment on their “Best Table” comment. You actually need a large-ish group for that front table. I’ve been there with 6 people and never gotten it. Seems like you need 7-8 to be seated there.

1 Like

That does look like the place to sit there, though! We’re going for the pig at the end of June. We have 6 but there is a chance we won’t - one is quite sick and I hope she’s better by then. Of course, I hope she’s better for other reasons than messing up the pig dinner!

We went to The Parlor today for a combo Mother’s Day/daughter’s birthday lunch. I can talk about the food elsewhere (mostly excellent) but I have David DiBari news that I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere. A couple of days ago he posted something vague on Instagram about Port Chester with what looked like construction and a tag line of “coming soon” or similar. So I asked the manager if he was opening there, and he is! He’s taken a former BBQ place (Q, I assume?) and will be opening something new, not Cookery or Parlor and I can’t recall what he said it was going to be. Then, he told me that DiBari has also purchased Cedar Street Grill across the street from The Parlor in DF and is going to open an English Pub style place there.

It’s a bit ironic since I recall that The Cookery opened around the same time as North and the restaurants appeared to be somewhat connected (not in ownership but I recall seeing that North had their holiday party at The Cookery) and I’m fairly sure they were all friends. Now North is history but DiBari is growing his empire.

2 Likes

Wow, this is amazing news. I was wondering what was going to happen to that Cedar St Grill location. It will be really interesting to see him take a totally new direction food-wise. I’m sure we can expect the same creativity and boldness found at the Cookery and the Parlor. I only wish he’d make his way up north a bit so I didn’t have to go all the way to Dobbs!

2 Likes

He also mentioned that some people wanted them to take over the North space, but they didn’t want to move into that area (maybe too upscale, definitely very expensive). Also apparently Port Chester real estate is really cheap.

1 Like

Went last night after a too long absence. It was great, as usual. A couple of notable changes were made to the menu. The pig donut is now a braised pig on a donut but is still delicious. And the beloved pudding in a can is gone! They may bring it back for a bit in March, when they celebrate their 10th anniversary. I had the cavatelli with bone marrow - I’ve been craving it for quite a while, and it did not disappoint. The place was packed, and there were two pig dinners going on. I still need to do that! I was tempted to sneak to one of the tables and steal some of that crispy skin!!!

2 Likes

Maybe they’re too busy with the new restaurant (and another soon to open) to deal with the pudding.

Which reminds me, it’s time to make reservations there for HVRW.

1 Like

The Parlor reopened yesterday after an extended closure due to some sort of electrical problem. I’ll have to ask what took so long when we are at The Cookery for HVRW.

Eugene’s Diner is the name of his new Port Chester spot. It’s not open yet but looks like it should be soon.

Come on, Mister Bill. What if I start the thread, will you play? Not that much action over at CH???

I already started one here yesterday!

Yay. How did I miss it??

Interesting article about Chef DiBari. Look for new “diner” coming to Port Chester!

http://www.wagmag.com/cirque-de-dibari/

I had seen that article - I think I picked up a copy of wag at my Dr.s office. However I stopped by the diner today and poked my nose inside. I get emboldened with my rollator/walker, no feeling of embarrassment going into an establishment, well at least the first set of double doors. Fairly long bar up front and it looked like 24 beer taps. Behind that a bunch of 4 seat booths. I could only see the left side but someone walked in and I asked if they had normal tables (that I could use - apparently , the right side is a dining area with tables. The place did look like a 70’s diner. Would have liked to see the menu but didn’t want to overstay my welcome. Place looks almost finished, looked like lots of wiring still to be done, but supplies i.e. drinking glasses were in place.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. DH hates diners but I’m thinking I can get him to this one!!!

What is that magazine? Never heard of it. We don’t get down to that part of the county often but if anyone can lure me in it’d be David DiBari. Thanks for posting.

ETA: I see availability on OpenTable beginning April 2.

1 Like

It’s a sort of social mag , basically a sort of back-slap feel good for the socially up-scale in westchester. They used to be a bit more representative of westchester at large,but it was bought and morphed into a glossy up-scale. Definitely not a must have mag.

With 24 beer taps, I’m guessing it won’t be your average diner. My own feeling is that it will be an Americanized Fortina. Good food and fun at high(er) prices. I do like Fortina, but to me it is sort of like what Starbucks did (fortunately, I don’t like coffee) - they take a moderately priced food group and elevate it (and the price). Good coffee can still be found in existing luncheonettes and (more importantly to me ) good pizza can still be found at selective pizza joints. However ,I am anxious to try Eugenes.

2 Likes