The Cookery (Dobbs Ferry NY)

After looking Eugene’s menu over - I’ve changed from anxious to try to not anxious to try.

1 Like

Agreed, Rich. Cute idea but that’s it.

We went to The Cookery for a dinner a couple of weeks ago, and it was truly one of the worst meals I can recall having. Everything was bad – from the service to the noise level, and most of all, to the food. It was so bad that after just a taste of our entrees, we asked for the check. The waitress asked what was wrong, and my husband didn’t mince words. The took his entire meal off the check, but despite that, my mushy meatballs and even more mushy pasta, two cocktails, a beer and a glass of wine still came to $100. What a waste of money. I know people seem to love this place, but I’ll be damned if I can see why.

Sorry to hear that, Roxlet, but welcome back to HO!

2 Likes

You and my sister, she hated it and also found the food to be inedible. I’m pretty sure I posted about it someplace. I think she had a problem with the amount of salt they used amongst other things … anyway just posting to let you know you are not the only one.

1 Like

Honestly I have to say I am not that surprised given our conversations on here lately about David DiBari possibly spreading himself too thin. I had a very poor meal at the Parlor last year and have not been back since. If he is not on site doing quality control at these restaurants I guess they are slipping and not living up to his standards. I haven’t had a bad meal food-wise at the Cookery but service is not always good and the whole place needs a renovation. The tables are uncomfortable and crowded and the place itself has seen better days. Especially for the prices they need to get their act together. Sorry you had a bad meal… Very disappointing.

1 Like

That is what I was worried about. Too many places at once. Christian Patroni and the Fortina guys are doing ok, I think, but all those places are the same concept.

That is very true !

We had a disappointing brunch there during HVRW but our dinner the week before was excellent. In particular, my portion of fried chicken was smaller than my son’s, and when I complained about it, I was told that they weighed them before cooking so they had to be the same. It’s always been noisy and service isn’t exactly what I would call friendly, although the server we had at brunch was very nice (and new). The person who came over to tell me that there was nothing wrong with my chicken had been my server the previous week and had to know us from then and previous visits and was at some point a manager of sorts there.

BTW speaking over overstretched, DiBari is out at Rare Bit, so that’s one less place for him to spend his time.

2 Likes

Bummer. We enjoyed our visit to The Cookery but haven’t been back in a while - maybe there’s no need. Sorry about your terrible experience, but it is nice to see you back on HO!

We went in January and it was excellent, except for the usual issues with noise and tables.

Very interesting! I wonder if the bad press had to do with this move.

I’m sure it was lack of business.

Speaking of business, I wonder how Eugene’s is doing? Has anyone been?