The Butchers Block, Long Branch

And that’s the scariest thing of all @gcaggiano

4 Likes

Oh yeah! To name your child that now would be a death sentence! LOL

2 Likes

They just tagged Barstool Sports in a comment. If they happen to see the post and become interested enough to cover it on their website or podcast, you will see every over-the-top toxic male within 50 miles come out of the woodwork to voice their supportive rage.

3 Likes

like I said, we’re doomed…doomed…we somehow created a nation that thinks sacrifice is weak and that they can pick and chose which laws apply to them while admonishing others b/c they don’t follow the ones they prioritize.
I feel for owners, but this was literally predicated earlier as the outcome when people put all their eggs in ones basket. if we could follow the damned rules and listen to the doctors and scientists we’d prob be in much better shape to end this stage quicker- but b/c of who we are as a nation nowadays, we rushed it and half assed it and we’re right back where we started. The states that jumped the gun are admitting that error now and are back to where we are on this, so I don’t understand why people think this is all fake or over-reacting. The nations that got their shit together at the start are getting back to some semblance of normalcy now…but we can’t do it, hell we refuse to even try hard…we’re doomed…

Not to say I told you so here to anyone, but I said at the beginning the owners holding out for the Hail Mary here of just open up and its all better were mistaken. These guys need to figure out how to adapt to takeout/deliver/outdoor as best path forward…of course this didn’t account for those that thought they were above the law and the morons that support them for it (all the while I bet are big pro “law and order” cheerleaders too- just for the laws they agree with though). I do enjoy when they call people listening to experts “sheep” b/c that Facebook post they saw is the actual real deal maaannn!

6 Likes

the posts and comments about “cucks” and snitches will really help them with a good portion of the general public…
and the fact that they don’t realize they are using the “Karen” meme wrong is a great benefit too…

5 Likes

Good on you. John Locke.

1 Like

I mean it’s really relevant now more than ever. I’m well aware the ones that need it most would instead head over to Locke from Lost instead- but the whole concept of “Freedom” is totally misunderstood by a large segment of the population that think it’s just a license to do what ever the F they want b/c “the constitution”. It helps explain why we’re in the shit these days…

2 Likes

I think that they are not the only ones doing inside dining.

1 Like

I’m not sure I subscribe to the two wrongs make it right philosophy. Regardless who or how many are, once you are caught i for one don’t think this public reaction is appropriate. Just my feelings.

2 Likes

I’ve heard from more than one person of some restaurants “discretely” offering indoor dining to regulars for months.

Oh no, I agree. I just thought you seemed suprised about it.

Me too.

Interesting. I had to drive up to NNJ today for the first time since February, so I had drive/brain time, and was thinking we should have two new threads: Who’s Doing it Right in 2020? and Who’s Doing it Wrong in 2020? And I’m serious. Full discussion can remain in the respective places’ threads (if they have one), but I think it’s only fair to disclose what we’ve seen so that those of us who are being careful because of our own health concerns or for those we care for/live with can know where it’s safe vs. not. To be clear, I have no personal connections to places good or bad, but I think that in a public health crisis that it’s only fair we all know who’s actually following the rules and who isn’t. As others have said, it’s truly unfair to those who are doing everything they can to protect their staff and their customers.

And to keep it on point in this thread, the “Block” is one of three places I can think of without thinking about it who is being this stupid on social media. Do they truly not care about the health department seeing these posts? That alone should prevent them from posting, but obviously not…

4 Likes

Hear hear. Locke was heady stuff for an 18 year old. Freedom isn’t free, as they say. The social contract that is the bedrock of our self-governance probably won’t resonate for the people you describe, because they do not appreciate that the Constitution charges the states with promoting general health, safety, and welfare. “Police powers” means something way broader than catching bad guys.

3 Likes

I looked at the 500+ comments to the post noted above (I’m crazy that way). Some random thoughts

• I think The Block poster was completely disingenuous. They never actually came out and said what issues they were being called out on so that the reader could infer it was some minor transgression, a one-off situation, or that they couldn’t get a reservation. Some of the comments were along the lines of “I don’t know anyone and I got a reservation” suggesting that was why they were being “snitched” not that they were essentially breaking the law.

• To me it sounded like many of the commentators hadn’t been to the restaurant in a long time (at least before restaurants were shut down in march), if ever. They just wanted to play with the “in crowd”.

• I wanted to see what businesses were supporting them so I could take my business elsewhere.

• Some people are just dicks.

13 Likes

They just wanted to play with “in crowd”.

FOMO meets Groupthink to form confirmation bias.

4 Likes

kudos for completing that task. I tried doing same as I sometimes get the manic bug to do things like that, but after the 20th “snitch” comment and 75th “Karen” I felt my blood pressure too high to continue.

7 Likes

Read him in HS- wish I paid better attention to his stuff then - but as they say, “youth is wasted on the young”. It’s really something to behold to hear people who claim to be patriots and to claim to hold the founding fathers in such high regard; to see see them lack even the most basic understanding of the notions this nation was founded upon is sad. The FF would abhor that entire segment of society. To see our great experiment, the bedrock of modern society, instead misinterpreted as something that would be better suited as a shitty logo on a third rate beer koozie would make Madison, Jefferson, etc either weep or more likely just quit in their tracks.

4 Likes

“You’ll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator” -Lisa Simpson

6 Likes

Ms Bean!!! :dizzy_face:

LOL I think that pretty much sums the entire situation up.

8 Likes