The Butchers Block, Long Branch

And that was just the steak.

2 Likes

Wow. How much per pound and I’m guessing by bone you probably had a ribeye?

1 Like

$70 something…I knew we we’re paying for the bone, but the boneless aged next door in the $90s/lb just seemed to much to pay on principle.

1 Like

Are you serious? 90 a pound?

1 Like

$94 I think. Almost to the point of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”

1 Like

That is nuts. I can’t believe this place is getting these prices. Was there anything special about it? 94 a pound is bonkers

1 Like

I said it once I will say it again my $100 “prime aged” strip on the bone was highly suspect for being both prime and/or aged. NO typical characteristics.

Are the aged steaks already cut or can you get them to pull a loin out and custom cut one? Is the aging fridge visible when you go pick your steak?

None of the above.

I’m trying to find a reason to go here but this thread isn’t helping lol

2 Likes

There is a aging fridge on display in the Butchers room you order in, however they DO NOT open or touch those steaks. You order from a typical butcher case with ALL pre-cut steaks to order. Nothing is cut to order. (That I’ve had)

1 Like
  • DISCLAIMER* I haven’t been and so have no idea if they are still as they were six months ago, but …

A friend sent me this. Apparently they have stepped up their dessert game:

8 Likes

Boy do I have a lot to say about this. This really pisses me off. I questioned if I should post this, but since they posted it on Instagram for the world to see, I’m not really breaking any confidence by sharing it here. (FYI I don’t even have Instagram but it’s so obnoxious my daughter actually brought it to my attention)

To me this is EVERYTHING that is wrong with our society, some form or feeling of entitlement. Not only are we going to do what we want and literally break the law but once caught we will mock those who told. (they were apparently doing inside dining, in a small not well ventilated place) This sheer arrogance will cause me to NEVER support their brand again. (although after my $100. questionably prime/aged steak, I was pretty much done with them before) This arrogance is just too over the top for me to ever forgive or forget.

11 Likes

and this is why we’re doomed…for all those owners/operators who take precautions and try to tolerate the pain in the short run to do it the right way and move past this, we’re left with small minority (or maybe not so small) that refuse to do the same b/c they are “special” while dragging everyone down with them. The only major nation that can’t get a grasp on this pandemicl b/c we have a large block of people who feel they can pick and chose which rule apply to them b/c “muh freedoms…” I’ll keep my political feelings to myself here, but will say it would benefit a lot of these morons to read someone like Locke and understand the theory of “social contract” as I’m sure they enjoy all the trappings of our society like roads, hospitals, police, etc…
In the end, I’m sure they will be fine b/c so many people don;'t care and just go the the trendy thing…and they don’t have a liquor license to revoke, but man I at one point wanted to visit this spot at the top of my list for a night out- now- never…

9 Likes

I started following them on instagram when local 130 started doing a raw bar there.
Based on the photos is saw, it’s not my type of place anyway and they certainly didn’t look like they were following any protocols.
Gary Player, the golfer, was there last weekend and it certainly looked like he was dining inside.

And I was reading the comments and the Galley in Asbury was praising them for the post

2 Likes

So I checked…
Nearly 3k likes and 500 comments over it. A few who told Block to grow up get smashed. I suppose its good to know what you’re dealing w if you go there…but hate begets hate…so I’m gonna vote w my wallet closed on this one.

7 Likes

The place always seemed to give off the air of being a private club catering to a certain clientele while not welcoming others anyway, so this is far from surprising.

5 Likes

NAILED IT. I continue to be baffled by companies and individuals in hospitality that make stances like this. ESPECIALLY DURING A PANDEMIC. They are doing SO well that they don’t care about the possible loss of future revenue?

5 Likes

Having just read through the comments, I would say 98% of them are positive and overwhelmingly supportive. It was hard to find something negative/questioning, unless they were deleted. In fact, there are several other restaurants voicing their support.

3 Likes

Also, I feel for all people named Karen!

5 Likes