The Butchers Block, Long Branch

Decided to pop in to the new and improved Butcher’s Block. The space is gorgeous, rustic brick, hewn wood, and granite tops, gleaming aging case…it’s stunning. No reservations needed for lunch, but it was packed by noon on a Tuesday. Waved in a artisan charcuterie board and a top shelf burger ($16) and made a reservation for dinner. It is such an improvement over the old space you will not recognize it. Looking forward to the dinner menu.

7 Likes

Wow! That looks amazing ! I heard the new space is absolutely stunning. Can’t wait to go :pray:t2:

1 Like

I caved to the peer pressure of my husband and we had lunch here today. The space is gorgeous. Very, very well done. It’s also crawling with staff and the service was great. The burgers were quite tasty. Thumbs up all-around. We decided to make a dinner reservation for us another couple. We couldn’t get a Fri or sat night for months!!! Picked a later reservation on a Thursday night in June! Wow.

2 Likes

I felt it was only right to now update the group on my 2 dinner experiences.
Night one in June was a Thursday, inside dining. We sat within 5-10 minutes of our reservation. Solid service, not overbearing. The place was busy but not insane and we had a later reservation too. 8:45ish? The food was good, everything was a bit over salted but good. Steaks were exactly on temp.

I made another reservation for this past weekend. We didn’t sit at our table until well after 40 minutes past the reservation time. I had to find the host to seat us too. This place just annoys me. I can rant about it for hours. The food was absolutely better on this visit. Less salt, more attention to the detail. The service was fine, nothing special. The place was an absolute zoo of people showing off that they can afford a bag or watch. It was strange. Post tip for 4 people $635. One appetizer of tuna crudo (highlight), 2 steaks, potatoes, brussel sprouts, 6 drinks and a espresso. I didn’t see the check but felt annoyed leaving. More annoyed when I looked at the Amex the next day. In fairness, we had fun and everyone left full, but I’m zero in a hurry to return.

4 Likes

Ugh. Obviously there are people who like places like that, but I’ve never been one of them. For a far better experience across the board, if you’re going to spend $$$$ like that, I suggest you try Heirloom at the Saint Laurent next time!

3 Likes

We have reservations there in October! :tada::tada::tada:

1 Like

Is it possible to get a ressie over the phone these days? I’ve been sitting on a gift card for nearly three years that I have basically forgotten about, but your post has reminded me to use it.

Plenty of time to shop for the LV purse for the meal! Lol. Jk

4 Likes

Will say from what I’ve seen and heard that ls fitting. People I know that go are types to advertise upper middle class wealth. Food while good to very good seems to be almost secondary to the scene. The whole part of the club private resi system seems to have worked brilliantly for them as it’s created a club of sorts that people buy into

3 Likes

Never been to the place but this place sounds like the Meat version of Cuzin’s Seafood in Marlboro.

4 Likes

I would like to share a review I wrote on Google for their butcher shop:

I have obtained, prepared, and eaten several of your fed-to-prime dry-aged steaks. I have used an infrared grill, a cast iron frying pan and finished them in a 400-degree oven using a meat thermometer to 135 degrees. I’m an old guy who has been around. These steaks have been nothing but disappointing. The marbling says “prime” but there’s no hint of the dry aging. The resulting steaks have been utterly beautiful to look at but have been tough, chewy, and lacking any depth of flavor. In a word – “disappointing”.

2 Likes

I beat you to this conclusion by about 3 years. (see my August 2019 review above) I’ve eaten More than my fair share of prime dry/wet aged steaks. There was NOTHING to indicate to me the steak I ordered was aged.

4 Likes

I made the second reservation online because I follow them on Instagram. They opened up the ‘window’ and I knew my husband and another friend really wanted to go back. It’s just not my scene.

I’m excited to go back to Il Nido next week!

2 Likes

I recall your (much) earlier post. Given That was before their reno and COVID I thought I’d roll the dice and see what came up.

I don’t want much - just the River Palm Terrace. The closest I’ve found here is Nicholas. But it’s not really that close.

1 Like

You guys want to see a “club” scene? Go on Gabriella’s social media and look at their brunch video advertising. I don’t even know how to describe them. They are almost indescribable.

3 Likes

I concur, however as I have stated somewhere on here, while they do turn into a club, they still run a good restaurant / dining room. It gets loud / crowded, and their Sunday brunch is a party, but you go most nights before 9pm and you get a great meal (steak) and good / attentive service at “normal” prices.

3 Likes

I don’t think I would survive it. Some of the comments are funny.

2 Likes

Thanks for the crowd details, I expect the food to be good but I was married to someone who flourished in that environment Someone else’s problem now.

3 Likes

the Butcher Block to take over Tuzzzios