The Brownie Pans?

OK, so I like edge/corner brownies as much as the next guy, but I’d never thought I’d consider buying one of those serpentine pans that promises every piece gets the goodness…

Now it’s 364 days to Thanksgiving 2023. My one SIL neglected to do her usual and bring stuffing yesterday, so to make it right, I’m making stuffing tonight. Along with some brussel sprouts.

Ding! The thought occurs to me that both the sprouts and the stuffing might also benefit from more browned surface area. And if that’s the case, why not many other things that cause eaters to swoon over the soccarat/tahdeg, etc.?

Who has one of these pans and has put it to use(s) beyond the humble brownie? What uses shine, IYO?

No need for fancy cookware. The 10” x 7” x 1” non-stick pan from $1.25 Tree does all this and plenty more. My favorite pan.

You know, maybe that old ridged Lodge cast iron grill pan I donated years ago would have made a good brownie pan. With a good preheat, you might get a lot of additional surface area for the crispy bottom crust.

A typical brownie batter makes 24 in a mini-muffin pan. I can easily get crunchy exteriors and a fudgy interior by baking about 15 minutes at 325°F. I’ve used the same pan for Brussels sprouts, and a regular muffin tin for stuffinmuffins.

3 Likes

Not related to brownie pans but you did mention stuffing. I often reheat leftover stuffing/dressing in my waffle maker so that it gets nice and crispy. Stuffing waffles make a great base for hot turkey sandwiches.

10 Likes

Brilliant.

I sold many waffle makers at Thanksgiving time with that tip.

Upon further reflection, I bet you could make brownies in a waffle maker. Think of all those crispy edges!

I recall once seeing a waffle-iron cookbook full of seemingly crazy ideas. Maybe not so crazy after all.

1 Like

Here’s some other ideas

1 Like

I had completely forgotten everything I’ve waffled, other than the scrambled eggs.

1 Like

I nearly pulled the trigger one one of those pans a while back, but then I came to my senses. I realized that since I do nearly all the dishwashing at the ricepad pad, cleaning all the nooks and crannies from the pan would fall to me, and I knew I would hate it. I’m a huge fan of the Maillard reaction, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

2 Likes

A local charity recently did a major city clean out of house goods. It a lot of places actually accept used goods. We donated a whole carload of used cook and serving ware and miss nothing except a single square Pyrex dish.

I use two when I bake brownies for the food bank lunches we priced. So I nervously switched to a round can pan and the results were glorious. The brownies were fantastic and each got a section of edge. They also were much sturdier to pack. I will never bake brownies another way.

I
The stuffing I made in the smaller “overfill” pan also was better than the big pan. But even better was an oval Spanish caselua.

1 Like

I have a baker’s edge brownie pan from my local thrift shop. I’ve used it for semi-Detroit style pan pizza, for which it worked nicely. I made brownies in it once and they were fine but not paradigm shifting.

I see them every month or so at the thrift shop and am always tempted to buy more, but one is enough for me. And honestly I could do without it. I like pan pizza in high sided steel pan in rectangular shapes, closer to the typical Detroit pizza shape.

I just use a creme brûlée torch

Interesting. I have a friend who uses a creme brûlée torch to hear their tuna.

I use mine to sear a lot of stuff!

1 Like

I wonder, though, because of the grill bottom, if they’d come out clean.

Indeed.

1 Like

Mine was raw cast iron, but maybe they still would’ve stuck. Next time I make brownies, I’ll try preheated (flat) cast iron and see how it goes.