The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread

mind sharing that Brussels sprouts recipe?
Not planning on going Butchers Block, now or future …lol

5 Likes

Yes and No. lol I don’t mind sharing what I do at all, however I’m hard pressed to call it the “recipe” since it’s just the result of trial and error and I"m no where near certain this is how they actually make it, it’s just how I’ve created something good enough to pull off as theirs. lol (If that makes sense)

Start:
Wash / cut the sprouts in half / quarter depending on size.
( I think they deep fry theirs ) I then toss them in some garlic, salt/pepper, olive oil and put them in the air fryer.
(about 15 mins?) keep an eye on them when they start looking nice and crispy take out.
Toss in a combination of: soy sauce - hot honey - reduced balsamic. Toss and evenly coat.
Back in air fryer for 5-10 mins until perfectly crisp.
I toss them again in the same bowl I tossed them in 5-10 mins earlier,
Top with Captain Crunch Cereal
Drizzle reduced balsamic over the top.

Pretty darn good way to eat brussel sprouts

5 Likes

Yum!! Do you make your own hot honey? I did a batch and keep it in the fridge. Adds a nice sweet, spicy zing.

Yes I do, do my own hot honey. I’m not going to even jokingly say I have any idea how to properly do it, but after experiencing it at the Galley I decided to make some. I just heat honey low and slow while stirring in Cheyanne pepper.

Please feel free to share your recipe.

ty!!

I made a super amateur mistake the last time I made this and it boiled over. Hot sticky honey all over my stove was a royal pain in the ass to clean up.

Mostly followed this. I guess it is hot garlic honey. I keep it in the fridge and heat up just the portion I want since it is pretty firm when cold.

1.5 C honey
1-2 T chili flakes (I have an absolute ton of this from when I made kimchi. I don’t know if this is at all the right kind but it has a good mild kick)
2-4 big cloves of garlic minced
1 T red wine vinegar

Simmer honey, chili and garlic (I do it until the garlic is a little toasty). Stir in the vinegar and jar. Top all foods with it. I might cut the vinegar out/down next time. I didn’t really find it necessary.

1 Like

Do you strain it before bottling it or do you bottle it with the garlic and pepper seeds in it? I like my method better because it’s much simpler version. I do notice though that the pepper never actual dissolves into the honey. As stated, I do it low and slow for maybe 30 mins stirring frequently, but in the end, you can still see cayenne pepper flakes in the honey. Not that if effects the taste nor can it be seen when used.

I don’t strain it. That seems like a mess and I’m not that picky. Your method is certainly more simple. I’ll give it a try when I eventually get through mine! I haven’t figured out how to keep everything from floating to the top though.

1 Like

My method is even simpler than @NotJrvedivici. I buy Mike’s Hot Honey.

6 Likes

Oak Hill Farms in Holmdel makes an AMAZING hot honey.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’m not familiar with Oak Hill Farms but need to become acquainted.

2 Likes

It’s very cute. Animals in the back and lots of candles, honey etc to purchase. Coffee bar inside. Across the street is a very tasty breakfast/lunch place called almost home.

2 Likes

I think there’s a ride in my future as well!

2 Likes

Tell me when! I’m close!!!

1 Like

Mine too! When do you want to go?

2 Likes

Website says they’re closed for their winter break and will reopen February 1, so next month!

1 Like

I’m 10 minutes away. Keep me posted. I’ve never actually been there but a friend who goes frequently hooked me up with two bottles of the hot honey and its addictive.

I hear they have Alpacas too.

2 Likes

Can we ride them?

1 Like

Can confirm oak hill farms is cool spot. Kids enjoy it.

Have heard great things about food across the street but every time we look to go they are closed or closing

1 Like

We like it. It’s small though and there are only a handful of tables. We go early so never had a problem. Family friendly, very fresh.

2 Likes