The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread

Is it new? I’m in the Wall Shop Rite at least twice a week and just saw it Saturday. A nattily dressed man spent a lot of time spiffing up the case.

1 Like

Well the Shop Rite in Shrewsbury is new itself, just opened 2-3(?) mos ago and they have had it since their opening so it’s hard for me to tell you. I have not tried the actual Japanese Wagyu but the price is $ 20. cheaper than Monmouth Meats, my previous source for this brand of meat. Personally I prefer the “American Wagyu” better for a meal, the Japanese is a bit too rich to eat as an entree it’s a good app/shared just a few slices. Also if you keep an eye on it, they do put the Japanese Wagyu on sale, I’ve seen it go for $ 69.99lbs which is a really good deal.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I may just have to try it someday. There were lots more “high end” stuff in the case as well.

1 Like

Yeah exactly that’s why I’m in :heart: with my new Shop Rite!!!

Actually USA Blue Fin Tuna in Tokyo @ $85 to $90 per pound caught in New England…

1 Like

Different grades look at that marbling and look at my A5

1 Like

No way that is A5

To be honest I don’t know exactly what A5 means nor would I know it when I saw it. Thanks for the education.

Seeing your post and looking at the pic on a PC vs. cell I do tend to agree with you. I suspect that pic is of their “American Wagyu”, which I have had and it looks similar to that. The Japanese at my local (Shrewsbury) is much more marbled and they always keep it wrapped, never open like this.

A5 has far more marbling, steaks at mitsuwa are around 90-100 and look like the steaks below. The picture looks like a good USDA prime.

https://www.google.com/search?q=a5+wagyu+strip&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihy4zS9YfjAhXQ1lkKHSduBIsQ_AUoAnoECAsQAg&biw=360&bih=560

In honor of this thread I had to pick up the American Wagyu @ $32.99 lbs.

6 Likes

That is a fine looking steak! That would be an 80/90 or more steak depending on what restaurant.

Is that about a lb to 19 or so? It doesn’t look super thick but the fat content is nice. 32 is a good deal for the pound price

How are you cooking that beauty? I’m completely jealous!

Fat cap looks delicious

1 Like

It was pretty dam delicious. It was 1lbs on the nose, grilled on the new Weber. Seasoned with fresh ground garlic and sea salt with a little pepper and finished with a tab of butter.

(Was in Massachusetts last night went to a place for rib eye that sucked, so seeing this thread made me want to right the wrong of last nights dinner)

1 Like

Nice! What new grill did you get? I’ll come over and season it for you ; )

I’m gonna have to get back there and check out the case in more detail. Hopefully I’ll get some better pictures and have a chance to talk to the butcher.

After a long (too long) time away from a Weber I went back and bought a Summit 4 burner. VERY happy with it so far. Can’t wait to try the smoker and rotisserie options, just haven’t had a lot of home cooking time.

1 Like
3 Likes

Nice! Any clue what these cost?

Best Market in Holmdel continues to have amazing deals on filet mignon ($8.99 a pound!). The pack I bought today was exactly one pound, so two medallions each for Justin and I.

Cooked some up tonight with a nice salt and pepper crust, homemade steak fries, and my damn near famous bacon-bourbon Brussels Sprouts. Dessert was some delicious pastries from a local bakery.

7 Likes

Whole foods in Middletown has tomahawk ribeyes for 13.99 on sale. I was getting beer there and mom is cooking so I didn’t grab one. Tomorrow I think it is game time! They are thick. I’m guessing these will go 39-44oz.

5 Likes