The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread

Nice! What did you marinade it with?

I just recently made Kim chi and I like the spice I bought on amazon. Think a pound of it was like 9 bucks on prime. It’s a lot of chili. I plan to try some Korean inspired meat and want to try skirt steak.

5 Likes

My usual can’t-go-wrong combination of soy sauce, minced garlic, lime juice, cilantro, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.

4 Likes

Not NJ here, but from my recent visit to Lancaster County: the best piece of prime rib I’ve ever had in my life. Served at the Revere Tavern. $27.90 for a 16 ounce cut. It certainly felt bigger. I couldn’t finish it! You can read my full review posted to the Philly board or on my blog here.

6 Likes

Nice Greg. If you’re a steak junkie you might try Stoudt’s Black Angus up in Adamstown.

I had a beautifully charred and medium rare NY strip steak tonight at Laurel and Sage. It went perfectly with an awesome peppery 2015 Napa Titus Red Zinfandel. The wine also went great with lamb sausage patties with fennel, red pepper compote, caramelized onions, orange rind, cayenne, and stuffed pickled cherry peppers with cheese.

6 Likes

Steak, red wine, cherry peppers…three of my favorites! Looking great buddy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Johnny!

It was so nice out yesterday we decided to grill a couple of steaks - boneless ribeyes from Costco - Mr Bean’s favorite. Served with broccoli rabe, made using @NotJrvedivici recipe. The steak was finished with a drizzle of coffee balsamic vinegar.

6 Likes

Did you like the rabe? Was it less bitter?

It was delicious. I’ll never cook it any other way.

2 Likes

Some end cut prime rib and a nice helping of mashed…

Mondays suck but you can make them a little better

7 Likes

Looks amazing. Very jealous. Where is that?

My guess, Charlie’s in Long Branch.

You’re a smart guy! First time here for prime rib. For 19 bucks it was good. The pile of potato was really nice. It could have been hotter. I had two 077xx at half price for happy hour. For 28 bucks pretip, it was decent. The prime rib was a little under seasoned for my liking. I’m not a prime rib guru. I love ribeye, but generally eat it grilled. My coworker wants to hit sitting duck wednesday so I might compare the two prime ribs if it happens.

3 Likes

Smart guy or alcoholic? I recognized the bar top, lol!!! End cuts tend to be too well done for my liking but you are correct that’s where all the seasoning and crispy ends would be.

3 Likes

The music was hilarious! It was on some 80s channel. I heard Madonna, prince, boy George and George michael, cyndi lauper, and a few other Allstars! If I only owned a go-pro

1 Like

Sorry I missed this, but what is your broccoli rabe tip? I don’t make it often because I’m not a fan of the bitterness but my husband loves it.

Blanch it in a hearty chicken broth before sauteing in garlic and oil (or however you like your brocolli rabe prepared) the chicken stock takes the bitterness away.

3 Likes

THANK YOU! Yum! I often will blanch it quickly in my water before I make pasta but I now want to experiment with adding a big scoop of better than bullion to my water first. I bet that would be fine since I salt the hell out of my water now.

2 Likes

Yes exactly, I use the powder forms all the time for things like this. You do want to make it “hearty” to counter all the bitterness in the rabe. Then just take out, strain it and toss it in the pan, delicious!

3 Likes