The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread

Yeah it will be a freebie :slight_smile:

I actually have never had a bad meal there. Some are better than others, but it has consistently been decent. It is obviously not that cheap and I know of much better values, but if money isnā€™t a huge issue, this place is ok.

Call me a stickler for details but I was entertaining someone there for dinner we were sitting at the bar, both of our steaks came out cooked far over temperature. I called the bartenders attention to it, she listened but didnā€™t take the steaks away, instead we sat there for about 5 minutes until a ā€œmanager / chefā€ came out from the kitchen to ask us what was wrong. When I explained we ordered medium rare and each steak was medium well/ well he then ā€œinspectedā€ the steak(s) in front of us, as if we were lying. That REALLY PISSED ME OFF. He then did take the steaks and recooked us new ones, however we had 2 or 3 sides which he left. Either take our sides to reheat and reserve with our steaks -or- replenish our sides since we ate them while waiting for you to re-cook our steaks.

That experience just pissed me off enough that Iā€™m done. Unless Iā€™m someones guest (which rarely happens) then Iā€™m not going to spend another dime in that place. I will still go to Raritan if in the area, but not Red Bank, they are dead to me. lol

2 Likes

Wow, crappy service and New York prices !

Iā€™ve only been to Char once, and my experience was similar to yours. The steak was overcooked and the sides and service were indifferent.

I also found it to be noisy, and the other patrons obnoxious.

But they do have a liquor licenseā€¦

Iā€™m pretty sure that is the small print under the ā€œWelcome to Red Bank NJā€ sign on 35 south.

2 Likes

Yes, I think you are on to something thereā€¦

Tri-Tip from Monmouth Meats. Made the mistake of stepping away for a few minutes and the grill flared up. Stil a delicious piece of meat.

2 Likes

Yes, that seems to happening a lot lately with Monmouth Meatsā€¦ ask @NotJrvedivici.

Hard to beat a good tri tip. I love the Santa Maria style bbq . So good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSat-lbMXVE

1 Like

Conflagration indeed !!!

325,000 peak btuā€™s gettiner done!!!

1 Like

lolā€¦yes I saw that, Hilarious

Loved the videoā€¦

love your torch

Hahahaha bravo !!

1 Like

I could actually use that to torch up some of the Cuban romeo and juilets I brought back from Aruba. Not the same this year with the embargo no longer in enforced. Back in the day I use to sneak my cases of Cubans back in my mothers suit case, figured they really had to be hard core customs agents to lock up a 70+ year old woman. (let alone retired police officer)

Compliments of Blu Grotto in Oceanport, have I told you I really like this place?

1 Like

Me too, loving the pics.

Could be time to get grottyā€¦

1 Like

Sirloin pan fried in butter with portobellas & onions:

1 Like

@VikingKaj @NotJrvedivici @joonjoon and the rest of you meatheads: Just saw on Instagram that The Grand Tavern has a 42oz 30-day dry-aged tomahawkā€¦

1 Like

pretty sure sheā€™s talking to you @corvette_johnny

2 Likes

Yum !!! :heart_eyes: