The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread

Much appreciated

2 Likes
10 Likes

Oh man! Looks awesome. What did everyone else eat?

Dinner for 2, just me and the Mrs.

2 Likes

Haven’t contributed to this thread in a while, so here is my steak from last night: Roasted Sirloin of Beef Forestiere. This was part of a small selection of dishes from the First Class menu on the Titanic I recreated for the anniversary. I had never roasted a sirloin before, and while it cooked through, the meat was still fall-apart tender. The bacon-mushroom gravy was delicious. Full description here:

15 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a steak night. Last night a buddy stopped by with a couple of tomahawks, so I grilled them (had a problem with the grill so I wound up using the flat grill top) One done “conventional” some garlic, rosemary and finished with clarified butter. The second I call it “Fernandes” style, with a couple U8 garlic shrimp as well as garlicky butter/oil drizzled over the steak. Shrimp scampli with the rest of the shrimp, German fried potatoes (with sausage and hot peppers), sauteed mushrooms and onions and garlic sauteed broccoli stalks. Onion rolls served on the side.

Delicious!

15 Likes

Bordentown’s best…

11 Likes

That looks delicious!

1 Like

Damn those plates are so sexy. I mean the whole thing is sexy, the meat looks amazing and the presentation is beautiful. But those plates man, you can’t buy that.

2 Likes

Just gonna drop this here…

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClFBkRJA7ix/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 Like

Last night’s Flat Iron steak marinated in soy sauce, Hoisin, Tiger Sauce, chili-garlic paste, Shao Xing wine, fresh garlic, and black pepper.

Keep forgetting how tender Flat Iron can be. Pretty lean too-- only had to trim one little “strap” of fat off the back side.

9 Likes

Well leave it to me to bump this thread up. I haven’t been eating a ton of steak lately, but I did pick this bad boy up at Pantosa’s in Eatontown, NJ. $ 21.99 lb for prime dry aged porterhouse wasn’t too bad all things considered.

All in all a great meal. I have to admit I’ve pretty much nailed The Butchers Block Brussel sprouts and Captain Crunch side dish. Yes, you read that correctly, one of the most unique and interesting dishes at the Butcher’s Block is their Brussel sprouts and Captain Crunch peanut butter cereal. After a couple of attempts, I’ve done a pretty decent job of replicating it. (Substituted Capt. Crunch for Kashi peanut butter cereal, you know keeping it healthy lol)

Yummmmmm onion rolls - just like Lugers at Shop Rite Shrewsbury.

10 Likes

mind sharing that Brussels sprouts recipe?
Not planning on going Butchers Block, now or future …lol

5 Likes

Yes and No. lol I don’t mind sharing what I do at all, however I’m hard pressed to call it the “recipe” since it’s just the result of trial and error and I"m no where near certain this is how they actually make it, it’s just how I’ve created something good enough to pull off as theirs. lol (If that makes sense)

Start:
Wash / cut the sprouts in half / quarter depending on size.
( I think they deep fry theirs ) I then toss them in some garlic, salt/pepper, olive oil and put them in the air fryer.
(about 15 mins?) keep an eye on them when they start looking nice and crispy take out.
Toss in a combination of: soy sauce - hot honey - reduced balsamic. Toss and evenly coat.
Back in air fryer for 5-10 mins until perfectly crisp.
I toss them again in the same bowl I tossed them in 5-10 mins earlier,
Top with Captain Crunch Cereal
Drizzle reduced balsamic over the top.

Pretty darn good way to eat brussel sprouts

5 Likes

Yum!! Do you make your own hot honey? I did a batch and keep it in the fridge. Adds a nice sweet, spicy zing.

Yes I do, do my own hot honey. I’m not going to even jokingly say I have any idea how to properly do it, but after experiencing it at the Galley I decided to make some. I just heat honey low and slow while stirring in Cheyanne pepper.

Please feel free to share your recipe.

ty!!

I made a super amateur mistake the last time I made this and it boiled over. Hot sticky honey all over my stove was a royal pain in the ass to clean up.

Mostly followed this. I guess it is hot garlic honey. I keep it in the fridge and heat up just the portion I want since it is pretty firm when cold.

1.5 C honey
1-2 T chili flakes (I have an absolute ton of this from when I made kimchi. I don’t know if this is at all the right kind but it has a good mild kick)
2-4 big cloves of garlic minced
1 T red wine vinegar

Simmer honey, chili and garlic (I do it until the garlic is a little toasty). Stir in the vinegar and jar. Top all foods with it. I might cut the vinegar out/down next time. I didn’t really find it necessary.

1 Like

Do you strain it before bottling it or do you bottle it with the garlic and pepper seeds in it? I like my method better because it’s much simpler version. I do notice though that the pepper never actual dissolves into the honey. As stated, I do it low and slow for maybe 30 mins stirring frequently, but in the end, you can still see cayenne pepper flakes in the honey. Not that if effects the taste nor can it be seen when used.

I don’t strain it. That seems like a mess and I’m not that picky. Your method is certainly more simple. I’ll give it a try when I eventually get through mine! I haven’t figured out how to keep everything from floating to the top though.

1 Like