What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

I’ve personally always found sandwiches difficult to photograph. So here’s this beauty from a few angles. Prosciutto, fresh Mozzarella, tomato, roasted red peppers, arugula, balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil-- I refuse to say “EVOO” since I can’t stand Rachel Ray. Epic sandwich with no abbreviations.

Bombay Martini outside (warm-ish weather today) followed by a Bombay rocks. I’m off tomorrow, though I must devote the entire day for last-minute research for a lecture I’m giving Thursday that I’m getting an award for. So it has to be good!

21 Likes

Eggplant tacos, following a recipe from Guerrilla Tacos. Fried halloumi cheese, Chinese eggplant, roasted tomato salsa, and toasted hazelnuts.

22 Likes

Shaanxi-style ground lamb (with freshly roasted and ground cumin and fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks, garlic, chili flakes, soy sauce, chinkiang vinegar) and oven-roasted green beans and grape tomatoes. Served over rice

19 Likes

That bread looks scrumptious! I don’t find stuff like that in WNC.

1 Like

I definitely need to make this. Did you reference a recipe?

The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread - Regional Dining Discussions / New Jersey - Hungry Onion

Thanks to all! And a potluck sounds great!

Congrats on the award.

1 Like

The lamb dish is based on this recipe from Gourmet Traveller

The vegetables are made from a recipe by Rozanne Gold in Radically Simple which simply includes preheating your oven to 450F, add green beans with olive oil and salt for 8 minutes. Afterwards add halved grape tomatoes (with any other spices) and roast for another 8 minutes.

4 Likes

Much appreciated!

1 Like

Tonight I made pasta with pumpkinseed pesto and roasted herbed butternut squash and chickpeas, topped with garden tomatoes. It was tasty but too salty. My bad.

16 Likes

Thank you! I might do the two thinner pieces in the usual “Pacific Northwest Grilled” way from New Basics that I have been making for the hubs for nigh these past 30 years, and try this one, with the thickest piece, just for me.

2 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious sweet corn and scallion pappardelle from a recipe that we found in last Sunday’s Daily News. The recipe called for bucatini but we didn’t have any so substituted pappardelle which soaked up the sweet and creamy corn sauce. She also doubled the corn, butter, and scallions. There is enough for 3 dinners.

corn pasta.pdf (410.8 KB)

21 Likes

I absolutely adore pappardelle. Just saying it makes me happy – but eating them makes me even happier. Looks lovely!

3 Likes

More shrimp and corn chowder, over shells. Added some smoked paprika and thyme, too.

19 Likes

Ooh.

2 Likes

A repeat of the lemony seafood chowder. When I find a new recipe I like, I like to make a few times just to make sure I have it nailed down the way I want it. This one, from Epicurious, is a keeper.

17 Likes

holy cow that looks delicious.

1 Like

I wish my DH weren’t lemon averse. Sigh. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

'Tis an Indian summer day. Shorts and t-shirt, washed the car, G&T, even the garden is happy. Opened the Beefeater, over rocks, manzanilla olives. Salad for supper. White bean tuna salad over spinach. Toasted baguette with garlic, parm, parsley butter. Dessert was Asian pear with blue cheese, honey and pine nuts.

20 Likes