The 2022 Thanksgiving Thread!

And have access to a hose

We’ll be home doing the same-old, same-old for foodstuffs. I will have somewhere between 9 and 13. The 9 is my family and wife’s parents plus my oldest daughter’s new husband. The other 4 maybes are an old church-lady friend of my MIL and various college friends of my other 2 daughters whose home towns are far enough away that it may not make sense to try to go home (both universities officially have class through Wednesday). I told them no problem either way but try to let me know by Monday.

My MIL always brings the stuffing (dressing) for me to cook here, and a chilled strawberries-Jello-cream cheese salad with a crushed pretzel crust.

I brine and make the turkey in an outdoor air-fryer. The fryer doesn’t do well with more than about 16 pounds so on Wednesday I’ll also smoke a turkey breast and a couple of legs and maybe thighs (if I can find them) for extra.
Also will get a smallish spiral cut ham and warm it. Otherwise here I (and sometimes “we”) are doing:

• Pies (pumpkin, apple, cherry)
  • Mashed potatoes and gravy (I do gravy from giblets, drippings + frozen turkey stock from a prior carcass, my 2nd daughter mashes & seasons potatoes once I get them cooked. All 3 daughters chip in on peeling the spuds)
  • Mashed rutabaga with a bit of butter and brown sugar
  • Rolls (start Wed, dough in fridge overnight)
  • Green bean casserole (my 3d daughter, vegetarian and gluten free, makes this entirely from scratch and using GF flour for thickening)

I feel like I’m forgetting something(s) here.

Also (edit) forgot to mention the vegetarian gluten free daughter is also dairy free so I’ll make her a separate allotment of taters before the butter/cream cheese and sour cream go in, and mushroom gravy.

6 Likes

Sweet potatoes?

1 Like

We used to do that (standard baked with marshmallow etc.) but about 10 years ago we held a Sweet Potato versus Rutabaga election, and the Rutabaga won in a landslide. It’s a lighter note in an otherwise petty heavy meal.

I’ll email the list above out to the daughters and they’ll let me know if I’m forgetting anything.

3 Likes

We’re now six instead of four, so while originally I was thinking of scaling the pie down to a 7-inch, I’m now planning to do the standard 9-inch.

6 Likes

All right, the bite-size quiches are delectable and also easy.

Only downside is that I’ll have to carry my mini muffin tins with me.

3 Likes

There’s always room for pie. :wink:

3 Likes

Wine. You are forgetting the wine. Also maybe cranberry sauce of some sort?

4 Likes

Uh my 7-year old needs to know more.

3 Likes

Turns out it will just be me and BF (mom is staying put for a bunch of reasons, but will be back out here for Christmas). So, when I asked him about the day he said, “You know what? I just want a turkey sandwich.”

Taking that into account, I am going to adapt a boneless, skin on (I think) turkey breast to Kenji’s Turkey Porchetta recipe. So, I still get to do a fun thing in the kitchen. From there, I am tempted to have a choice of basic (mayo, tomato, Swiss) things and some “kick it up” things (Provolone, sauteed broccoli rabe, hot peppers) so we can both build what we like. I’m still giving it some thought. I might make my own sub rolls.

12 Likes

I suggest you jettison one of the veg, buy the rolls and ask one of the other people to bring dessert. Take care of yourself.

7 Likes

He’s going right for the great leftovers without the fuss of the day. Can’t say I blame him!

9 Likes

Yep! He knows where it’s at!

1 Like

Be kind to yourself! Did you see Ina’s doctored store-bought thanksgiving article in the NYT? She makes it fussier than necessary in some cases, but the idea is right!

Maybe you could make your favorites and supplement with store-bought?

2 Likes

I was having major fomo yesterday after I helped a friend find a catered “non-standard” thanksgiving meal — it’s also a big anniversary for them, and she wanted something special.

My top 3 finds:

• Italian porchetta-centric feast (turkey special for thanksgiving, or traditional pork option) with a la carte sides like sausage and sourdough italian-seasoned stuffing and fresh pasta (fully prepared)
  • Taiwanese duck-centric feast
  • Asian fusion brisket-centric feast

I mean. I want to eat all of that now.

And your turkey porchetta sandwich!

6 Likes

I am actually thinking about a Peking(ish) duck for Christmas when mom does come!

2 Likes

Correct. I have the horrid canned jellied stuff already (my FIL insists on it) but when I texted the list to my MIL she pointed out that the strawberry-pretzel stuff is for Christmas and that she’d be bringing the fresh cran salad per her usual.

And sorry for failing to mention, but yeah, the wine is a given. :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve never watched my MIL or daughters when they’ve make it, but this looks very close to it.

4 Likes

I like your thinking in terms of what can be done ahead and reheated and might steal some of your ideas. I do find both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners a bit stressful, and a lot of that I put on myself by trying to have everything come together at the right time when the meat’s going to be done.

I’ve never tried the Field Roast (had to look it up) and it looks pretty good. Have you tried this before - is it as good as it looks? I have a vegetarian friend who’s always looking for new stuff and also always sending me ideas for my daughter.

Re dinner rolls - Sister Schubert brand yeast rolls and their “Parker House” style rolls, if in your area, I’ve found to be easy and a fine sub for making my own when I’m feeling stressed. Pepperidge Farm also makes a variety of frozen rolls and I’ve tried several of them with good results.

2 Likes

Vegetarian here–Field Roast brand is great. I’ve only had the sausages, but they are delicious.
I love that someone likes rutabaga!

4 Likes