The 2022 Thanksgiving Thread!

Sweet potatoes?

1 Like

We used to do that (standard baked with marshmallow etc.) but about 10 years ago we held a Sweet Potato versus Rutabaga election, and the Rutabaga won in a landslide. Itā€™s a lighter note in an otherwise petty heavy meal.

Iā€™ll email the list above out to the daughters and theyā€™ll let me know if Iā€™m forgetting anything.

3 Likes

Weā€™re now six instead of four, so while originally I was thinking of scaling the pie down to a 7-inch, Iā€™m now planning to do the standard 9-inch.

6 Likes

All right, the bite-size quiches are delectable and also easy.

Only downside is that Iā€™ll have to carry my mini muffin tins with me.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s always room for pie. :wink:

3 Likes

Wine. You are forgetting the wine. Also maybe cranberry sauce of some sort?

4 Likes

Uh my 7-year old needs to know more.

3 Likes

Turns out it will just be me and BF (mom is staying put for a bunch of reasons, but will be back out here for Christmas). So, when I asked him about the day he said, ā€œYou know what? I just want a turkey sandwich.ā€

Taking that into account, I am going to adapt a boneless, skin on (I think) turkey breast to Kenjiā€™s Turkey Porchetta recipe. So, I still get to do a fun thing in the kitchen. From there, I am tempted to have a choice of basic (mayo, tomato, Swiss) things and some ā€œkick it upā€ things (Provolone, sauteed broccoli rabe, hot peppers) so we can both build what we like. Iā€™m still giving it some thought. I might make my own sub rolls.

12 Likes

I suggest you jettison one of the veg, buy the rolls and ask one of the other people to bring dessert. Take care of yourself.

7 Likes

Heā€™s going right for the great leftovers without the fuss of the day. Canā€™t say I blame him!

9 Likes

Yep! He knows where itā€™s at!

1 Like

Be kind to yourself! Did you see Inaā€™s doctored store-bought thanksgiving article in the NYT? She makes it fussier than necessary in some cases, but the idea is right!

Maybe you could make your favorites and supplement with store-bought?

2 Likes

I was having major fomo yesterday after I helped a friend find a catered ā€œnon-standardā€ thanksgiving meal ā€” itā€™s also a big anniversary for them, and she wanted something special.

My top 3 finds:

• Italian porchetta-centric feast (turkey special for thanksgiving, or traditional pork option) with a la carte sides like sausage and sourdough italian-seasoned stuffing and fresh pasta (fully prepared)
  • Taiwanese duck-centric feast
  • Asian fusion brisket-centric feast

I mean. I want to eat all of that now.

And your turkey porchetta sandwich!

6 Likes

I am actually thinking about a Peking(ish) duck for Christmas when mom does come!

2 Likes

Correct. I have the horrid canned jellied stuff already (my FIL insists on it) but when I texted the list to my MIL she pointed out that the strawberry-pretzel stuff is for Christmas and that sheā€™d be bringing the fresh cran salad per her usual.

And sorry for failing to mention, but yeah, the wine is a given. :wink:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never watched my MIL or daughters when theyā€™ve make it, but this looks very close to it.

4 Likes

I like your thinking in terms of what can be done ahead and reheated and might steal some of your ideas. I do find both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners a bit stressful, and a lot of that I put on myself by trying to have everything come together at the right time when the meatā€™s going to be done.

Iā€™ve never tried the Field Roast (had to look it up) and it looks pretty good. Have you tried this before - is it as good as it looks? I have a vegetarian friend whoā€™s always looking for new stuff and also always sending me ideas for my daughter.

Re dinner rolls - Sister Schubert brand yeast rolls and their ā€œParker Houseā€ style rolls, if in your area, Iā€™ve found to be easy and a fine sub for making my own when Iā€™m feeling stressed. Pepperidge Farm also makes a variety of frozen rolls and Iā€™ve tried several of them with good results.

2 Likes

Vegetarian hereā€“Field Roast brand is great. Iā€™ve only had the sausages, but they are delicious.
I love that someone likes rutabaga!

4 Likes

That is a lovely tradition!

The Keg- a chain steakhouse in Canada- has kept Neptune mushroom, stuffed with crab and cream cheese, as an appetizer for years.

1 Like