Thanksgiving for two?

More sites for brain storming…

Southern Thanksgiving recipes

2 Likes

Hmm…I think seven dishes. I just “dared” my sister to keep it to four, but maybe gravy, salad, wine and desert shouldn’t count.

1 Like

I HAD to start with the Serious Eats/Kenji article. Thanks!

It will just be a few of us this year, but I’m not changing much. Instead of a whole turkey I’ll roast a large turkey breast. Dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potato’s, corn casserole, cranberry sauce and rolls. We don’t do fancy here. I like the leftovers that night more than anything else🙂

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m usually a little irritable at serving time, but ready to snack several hours later.

2 Likes

As I posted on the main Thanksgiving thread below, it is just the 2 of us, and we plan on having a ’Crabsgiving‘ courtesy of Costco. Mrs. P doesn’t like turkey so I will have to force myself to pig out on Dungeness crab and King crab legs :yum:

8 Likes

Counting down! These are cooked and sent to the local Costcos, right?

Making a Thanksgiving day leftovers sandwich is the only way to roll the next couple of days. Oh yeah.

1 Like

Yes they are already cooked. You can eat them as they are or just steam them and have them with the PSTOB :grinning:

Good idea! I can’t remember the last time I did Thanksgiving in the N. Cal Bay Area, but in good times of yore, it was usually the start of the crab season

1 Like

Naf, I know it’s not close, but if you’re up for a daytrip to the region parisien, this ferme raises wonderful turkeys. They’re still a little small at Thanksgiving but for two, that’s not a problem. The ferme is all bio, and the family is super friendly. We bought our birds from them when we lived in the Seine et Marne

https://www.fermedestuiles.com/

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve checked, it’s 100km from where I live, I need 3.5 hours one way with local train. Incredible how local transport are so inefficient compared to the fast train. With the same time, I can go to the other part of France, say Marseille, incredible. But I will keep an eye with the name of the 2 farms, probably can find that in Paris or with a salon.

1 Like

Turkey for two… and leftovers too.

We have been going to my husband’s cousin’s house for T-day the last few years. It’s a great opportunity for all the young cousins to get together. Plus it was once the grandparents‘ house and is filled with memories. But! I miss having leftovers. So, last year I also made a mini T-day meal for home.

Turkey Thighs Roasted Low & Slow / Apple & Bacon Wrapped Herb-butter Stuffed Turkey Breast

Lemon Juice & Peel, Black Pepper, Urbani Truffle Salt

Breast & Kerrygold Garlic Herb-butter

Check out the Turkey Skin in the back. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sprinkled w/Smoked Paprika & Poultry Seasoning

Gotta’ Have Gravy

16 Likes

Oh dear, no, you’d most definitely need a car, as its an actual farm, just at the edge of Guercheville, which is barely big enough to even be called a village.

Its quite remote, even if you do have a car! I wonder if you rang them if they might be able to deliver somehow. I seem to recall that they do sell at local marches, but I dont recall which ones.

1 Like

That looks very good! Love your turkey.

Was that an apple crumble you in the light blue dish?

1 Like

Just wrote to them and wait for their reply.

www.salon-saveurs.com starts 29 Nov this year, lol! I’m sure to find some great birds from local farms there. Unfortunately the French calendar addresses only to Christmas.

I’m sure you can find some great birds in Paris, more €€€ than directly from fermes. Actually even supermarket these days they have an incredible choice of label rouge birds, I have a Metro near my home, they even have Bresse chicken, I need to remember to renew my card.

2 Likes

Wow!! What a feast for the eyes and stomache.

1 Like

Some years we find ourselves doing Thanksgiving for two. This usually involves a last-minute change of plan, either because of unexpected illness in the family or a snowstorm threatening to snarl long-distance travel.

On our twosome years, I go for a large, organic chicken instead of a turkey. I stuff the cavity with pierced lemon(s), Marcella Hazan style to encourage pan juices. One year we had to change plans on such short notice that a chicken was the most practical option. Now it’s a go-to.

A locally raised (frozen) chicken is a possibility if I don’t have to scurry to buy everything the day before—which has happened more than once!

3 Likes

Perfect inspiration!

I definitely plan to limit my Turkey to “parts”, and would have to include a breast, but wwant some dark meat too. I always get some parts to make for gravy a few days before, but maybe this year to serve as well.

How do you serve the thighs? A whole thigh on the bone, or do you slice it?

1 Like

I remember my mother making a capon (ouch!) instead, but those are expensive, hard to find, and always frozen.

2 Likes