Thanksgiving Anomalies

Mothahpussbucket!

I read this with an increasing sense of dread…REALLY??? You are very gracious to have even allowed this. Agree with other posters about the shooting.

B (Ohio State alum) could barely talk about it yesterday. So much sadness in our house this weekend.

2 Likes

I could barely stand to watch the finish and I am not a sports fan but I was born and raised there. My almost 91 year old mother lives across the river from the stadium and if we step outside onto her deck during a home game we can hear the roar from the crowd. DH & I met in grad school there and decided to get married in October. We were not allowed our ceremony at the church near the campus because there was a home game that weekend so we had to seek another venue!

1 Like

Unbelievable that someone bought the ingredients with multiple pounds of elbow macaroni and you had to heat all the water to cook that and then improvise with fake cheese? To make “their” macncheese?

You are a better human than I. I would have said, sorry, no room in the oven or on the stove, I can’t do this now and there’s not time to heat up that much water.

You sailed through wonderfully. I hate that you had that much stress when trying to get everything ready at the right temp and doneness in the last hour!

1 Like

a “Thanksgiving Anomaly” is when nothing is burnt or goes wrong . . .

3 Likes

I was looking for turkey parts, and didn’t find any, but just bought a Jennie O turkey for 0.45cents USD / pound for my after Thanksgiving Thanksgiving.

4 Likes

That’s a great point. Once they’ve been through it, they’ll stop doing dumb stuff.

Still, you’re quite the host for putting up with that stuff, Greg.

I’d still have shot them. Or punched, or something similar. Maybe just The Evil Eye. LoL.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that housewarming gifts that need preparation should be welcomed as gifts for another occasion.

Yes. Even my similar age sister in law didn’t understand why she couldn’t show up when she wanted and do what she wanted in the oven or on the cooktop.

I was tasked with the turkey and the oven was mine! And I wanted at least one big burner on the cooktop for gravy.

I suggested this might be an invitation for her to host next year but she was not having it.

She understands, at least on some level.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this quite a lot today. It deserves its own topic…“What would you have done?” For future reference, of course!

4 Likes

Anomaly - a later than usual walk before coming home and putting the turkey in. It would have been easy enough to just do a neighborhood walk, but my H and I do so many forest/mountain trails, that I thought my 75 y.o. parents might enjoy the views. I myself was a little trepidatious about their ability to maneuver the footing, the curving trail that snaked up the mountainside, but they said they were game and up for it. It is only 1/3 of a mile to the top of a windy trail and a mountain lake, with 300’ of gain. And they did it! But slowly. And slowly down too. So we walked in the door at 5:15, and my turkey was in the fridge still.

The second anomaly, which made it work, was this being the first time I did a boneless breast roast. So fortunately, it was in the oven less than 2 hours. I baked the stuffing with it (which had been prepped and in the fridge already), the mashed, the peas, were all stovetop at the same time, the cran was ready, and dinner was still served at 7:15.

12 Likes

I’ve always wondered about Nescos. Read about them, no one I know has one (I don’t know very many people). Are they actually good for bird roasting?

(My brother and SIL have prepared our family’s holiday birds in one for 25 years - I’ve come to really like them. So much so I plan to buy one myself.)

1 Like

We have two sizes of those. I have read on another cooking forum about people using them even to bake in the summer on their porches to avoid heating their houses up with a traditional oven…We recently had an appliance failure with our gas range and it took about a month for us to have it replaced and installed. Our Nesco was a lifesaver - fortunately no power failures since we have to plug it in.

1 Like

On odd-numbered years we have a huge family Thanksgiving (60-70 or more sitting down) and two of the four turkeys are prepared in them - always delicious. (Also one smoked and one deep-fried.)

3 Likes

I used to have one and yes it was good for roasting a turkey but Thanksgiving was pretty much the only time I used it. It was taking up too much storage space for the amount of use I got rid of it. Now, instead of making one large turkey that takes hours I make two smaller ones and one of those is made in advance. It saves time and there is less fighting about who gets the legs.

4 Likes

Speaking of legs, I come from a big family and remember one epic Thanksgiving meal when I was a young child. I got a leg. I spent almost a whole week finishing it off!

6 Likes

Wahine and I were given a Nesco as a wedding present 26 years ago. We do use it occasionally, and it does a good job.

1 Like

My own personal sad anomaly is that this is the first year in many years of not making ol New England Indian pudding. I was the only one who always ate it (save a few relatives who take a few bites), but just didn’t have room for another pot on the counter when I already had way too much food all over the place.

I upgraded the bird by about 3 pounds this year, and expected more leftovers. Somehow still wound up with about the same… The plus may be that my sisters did get a bit more than usual. Not a bad thing, but I guess I should go with a 17lb bird in the future. I took the legs off of a spatchcocked turkey and that actually worked really well. Will continue that too.

1 Like

What size turkey did you cook this year? You took the legs off to make it fit the roasting pan? Did you cut the bird up before or after the brine?

This phenomenon deserves its own thread! I seem to be the only person at our gatherings who enjoys mincemeat and pecan pie. I’ve given up trying to cajole anyone. If only the loyal opposition would now kindly refrain from pressing me to eat/like cranberry sauce and marshmallowed sweet potatoes…

3 Likes