Thanksgiving Anomalies

Again.

3 Likes

I had a colleague whose husband worked for the Corps of engineers on water projects. He was really into it, although it wasn’t his primary profession. I have always wanted to see the Hoover Dam. My husband has, but I have not. The history and scope of that project fascinates me.

1 Like

Thank you, but sadly it’s a chronic issue…really sucks but I get by. Late stage breast cancer and a very rare blood disorder…lucky to have a steady partner in my life to lean on.

8 Likes

Sweeten the pie with maple syrup next time around! It’s better than sugared apple pie.

1 Like

Don’t give up! Wahine is a 20+ year survivor. I wish you complete remission.

6 Likes

Both our kids’ families were ‘required’ in other states this year so we did our standard Thanksgiving two weeks early. On the actual day we were invited to the home of long-time friends whose daughter and son-in-law prepared pretty much the whole meal. It was great to have to do only the the salad and to enjoy sides new to
us or made differently.

The star for me was a cornbread ‘pudding’ that I’ve already googled two recipes for and will try very soon. We always do marshmallow topped sweet potatoes but theirs were made with cinnamon and time and were much more savory than ours (which have a lot of orange juice in them). A delicious apple crisp with ice cream was a welcome change from pumpkin pie.

Upon arriving we were handed a rosemary Bourbon sour cocktail. I’m not a Bourbon guy but this was delicious. Gotta get the recipe for this, though it’s probably the only thing I’d ever use Bourbon for.

All in all a great Thanksgiving. Hope yours was as good.

5 Likes

Would love to know more about the cornbread pudding… !

Had my elderly uncle’s new wife (!) at dinner this year; it was the first time we met her. She spoke of a pork-based stuffing from the French side of her family. We didn’t get to eat it, but I suspect it’s on the horizon for next year.

Anyone ever have such a thing?

I found this recipe on taste of home.com and it seems like the same or very close. I plan on checking with the cook to be sure very soon.

1 Like

So sorry! Some have no class. I learned long ago there is no perfect solution to this dilemma.

1 Like

my thanksgiving host was helping me get a new table into my kitchen before we drove over to their place. had packed the bag of stuff to bring with me, except for the apple custard tart cooling in the toaster oven.

so, we get there, i open the and no tart. thankfully, there were plenty of other desserts. and i got to have the tart for breakfast.

6 Likes

Affirmative. I make macncheese, but not often, since my daughter started college. She was our mnc nut. I’d make a bechamel, then add good cheese, al dente elbows, butter, bake, crust, bake again. This just walked through my door. This was going to be somebody’s statement for TG. Never made Kraft ma,acncheese, IMHO. I dunno.

Whatever. Everything turned out. Felt like I was on Chopped.

3 Likes

I got plenty of rounds. No shooting, here. It was just weird. Some of these younger folks need some learnin’. When they host, they’ll learn. I’ll try to remember a lamb shank osso bucco when they host. :slight_smile: JK. I told them that, if someone would rather host, I’d bring the bird. I’m still miles ahead then. I just have a country location that people like; but now there’s more little kids coming around, so I’ll gladly go to them. I’ll come with a Nesco. No need for oven space.

5 Likes

Not really an anomaly, but when I served dinner; neither my girlfriend nor I were all that hungry. I did taste as I cooked and she had leftover meatloaf for lunch, so that could be it.
I ended up freezing the vast majority of the turkey and we’ll have a mini-Thanksgiving dinner down the road… sometime.
I ate the leftover sides the next day.

2 Likes

Mothahpussbucket!

I read this with an increasing sense of dread…REALLY??? You are very gracious to have even allowed this. Agree with other posters about the shooting.

B (Ohio State alum) could barely talk about it yesterday. So much sadness in our house this weekend.

2 Likes

I could barely stand to watch the finish and I am not a sports fan but I was born and raised there. My almost 91 year old mother lives across the river from the stadium and if we step outside onto her deck during a home game we can hear the roar from the crowd. DH & I met in grad school there and decided to get married in October. We were not allowed our ceremony at the church near the campus because there was a home game that weekend so we had to seek another venue!

1 Like

Unbelievable that someone bought the ingredients with multiple pounds of elbow macaroni and you had to heat all the water to cook that and then improvise with fake cheese? To make “their” macncheese?

You are a better human than I. I would have said, sorry, no room in the oven or on the stove, I can’t do this now and there’s not time to heat up that much water.

You sailed through wonderfully. I hate that you had that much stress when trying to get everything ready at the right temp and doneness in the last hour!

1 Like

a “Thanksgiving Anomaly” is when nothing is burnt or goes wrong . . .

3 Likes

I was looking for turkey parts, and didn’t find any, but just bought a Jennie O turkey for 0.45cents USD / pound for my after Thanksgiving Thanksgiving.

4 Likes