Thanksgiving 2020

I bought 4 cans at WFs yesterday. $1.69 each…in NJ. 365 brand.

1 Like

Heidi - I’m sorry for your loss, and your current burdens.

sigh This sort of things has me pretty unhappy. Outdoors may be safER but is not safe. Eating in a tent in a parking lot (and certainly in a garage) is not outdoors, just uncomfortable. 6’ is not enough - the MIT sneeze study suggests 27’. For those of us being strict, most people who claim to be careful simply are not. Hold your ground.

More and more credible reports of second round infections which makes immunity less clear.

Can you be the tech support for your Mom for video calls with your other family?

Kids are a problem. Poorly behaved by nature and the literature is clear that “young people don’t get it” is entirely an old wives tale. (ha!)

2 Likes

Also, any trivia gamers out there? Trivia games on Zoom/FTime are a lot of fun! A family version written by Your family members is also a hoot!

2 Likes

My family did our big gathering last weekend, so that we could do it outdoors. Everyone’s on their own for thanksgiving. Probably the s.o. and I will make lobsters or maybe a duck and just take it easy for the day.

3 Likes

Thank you, and yes, I that would work for us. That is when we do some of our weekend morning-for-us calls. I also want to add family in Los Angeles, Durham, NC, and ATL Georgia, preferably when they have family there. Maybe 11 AM or in California, since son and DIL will still be up, and the in-laws don’t traditionally celebrate.

Anybody know what a Yun party is? I couldn’t find anything.

Those are great ideas!

As I mentioned in another thread, Mr Bean wanted pumpkin ravioli the other day and I won’t make them until I know I can replace the can I have.

I actually think sweet potatoes make a great pie. I may even like it better than pumpkin.

3 Likes

I understood Yun in this context meant video games.

2 Likes

Try kabocha squash. I think it might be even better than pumpkin, for pie.

4 Likes

All our best wishes …

1 Like

Mr Bean wanted pumpkin ravioli

I seem to remember that Joe Leone’s in Point Pleasant had pumpkin ravioli. Or perhaps Pastosa’s in Wall? That way you can save your can!

2 Likes

@heidicooksandbakes

My nominee for post of the month. For so very many reasons!

3 Likes

Ravioli alla Zucca (pumpkin) is quite popular in northern Italia.

Enjoy your dinner.

1 Like

We actually were in Pastosa when he saw their box of pumpkin ravioli which is made him think of it. I tried to convince him to buy it but he wasn’t having it. We ended up with a bread and fresh ricotta instead.

1 Like

We won’t be traveling or hosting this year, so it will be just the 4 of us – hubby, me and the kids (12 and 7). We’ve had at least a couple of other Thanksgivings where we didn’t travel for one reason or another (new baby, changed family plans, etc.). So i have a sense of what our scaled down holiday meal will likely be. Herb roasted turkey breast, mashed sweet potatoes (my daughter does these with cayenne and sometimes a hint of maple), sausage/apple stuffing (but not stuffed), brussel sprouts and/or green beans with shallots, cranberry orange relish. Dessert TBD. They don’t love pumpkin pie but it’s so much a part of the day, that I would miss it if we cut it out.

I’m sure we will Zoom with family but probably not during the meal. maybe for dessert or a pre-dinner cocktail. It will indeed be very strange not to be with my parents, sister and her crew.

Great topic.

4 Likes

That reminds me didn’t travel for TG day last year either!

This leapt out at me. Outstanding that your 12 year old daughter is cooking. So many young people post in other cooking fora about moving out on their own for the first time and don’t know how to feed themselves. How does one grow to their mid-twenties and not learn to cook?

I have a rant on the subject of life skills I will spare you all.

That your daughter is cooking gives me hope for the future of humankind.

1 Like

Dr. Fauci on Thanksgiving 2020:

2 Likes

Covered by parents, grandparents, college meal plans, or lack of interest, lack of confidence, limited public school instruction, economics, just to name a few.

I was always well feed but even at my age, at 62, I’m realizing how much time I have spent learning how to cook/bake/prepare in only the last decade. No shame. Just the time to focus on it properly.

Life skills can take a lifetime. You shouldn’t be glib about it. Doing anything well takes practice. In my mid twenties I ate very basic foods that required a can opener.

9 Likes

He’s holding out for homemade, and I can’t say I blame him!

How was the fresh ricotta?

1 Like