Thanksgiving 2020

The very best part of Thanksgiving, IMO.

4 Likes

Chinese - what all the Jews do for Christmas. You found out our trick!

6 Likes

This year the theme is self-care, because these are trying times! Halloween, Iā€™ll let the kids and the H choose their favorite candies, and weā€™ll put them in a bowl outside the front door. I am not opening the door! But neither will I turn out the lights. Leftover candy will actually be enjoyed by us.

T-day is typically a small affair anyhow, us and the in laws. Every 3 yrs or so, a little bigger because either my fam flies in, so we have both sets of gā€™rents, or we fly out, and then we also have my sisterā€™s extended fam. Anyway, no one travelling this year. We are definitely covid cautious. So Iā€™ll do a chicken instead of a turkey - more appropriate size and frankly arguably better flavor. And each of the 4 of us will pick a traditional T-day dish they do want. That makes my preparations much more manageable while still making it feel like a special day.

2 Likes

Or for those of us who are looking for an alternative, Indian, which has the added benefit of honoring the holiday with red and green chutneys. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is absolutely the first Iā€™ve heard of Jews ordering Indian for Christmas! But absolutely. If itā€™s open, do it! The first year we moved up north away from all our extended family, I did Indian food for T-day in a sort of protest. Not so much I was mad at anyone. But I didnā€™t feel celebratory in any kind of traditional way. I recall okra. Canā€™t remember what else I put on the table that year. At the time, it was my husband and I, a 4 y.o and a baby. Kids obviously didnā€™t care.

1 Like

I will not work. Having retired from retail after nearly 35 years this will be my second normal Thanksgiving and Iā€™m looking forward to some poultry and the traditional beatdown of the Detroit Lions and the Dallas Cowboys.

5 Likes

Enjoy! Iā€™ve actually never worked a Thanksgiving in my life. This year, though, it would seem appropriate.

1 Like

Not so odd.

6 Likes

If I was going to make a keepsake online it would be "Thanksgiving " .

My great grands on my dadā€™s sides ā€œslave recordsā€ and Thanksgivings in Alabama, my momā€™s and husbandā€™s family from the Carribean, our sort of first gen kids squarely in the mid to upper class , with son and his wife in Turkey, and we are in Nor Cal, with little family within hundreds of miles.

I would love to make this better than ever.

4 Likes

Why not have a ā€œYunā€ party?We cook delicious food at home, open videos, and celebrate with our friends and family through videos.I think this would be the perfect way during COVID-19.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to look up ā€œYunā€ party, but how do you handle time zones? I know there is a sweet spot. Maybe late AM or very late evening in Europe if its a day off there?

1 Like

Zooming Thanksgiving between the New Orleans, New York, and New Jersey contingents. Liberated by the absence of overlapping dietary restrictions among the usual crowd that make my typical ingredient list an infinitesimal Venn diagram, the two of us will eat things that my Thanksgiving table has never been able to offer.

8 Likes

Thank you! I can usually coordinate New York, North Carolina, Atlanta, and LA, with San Francisco/Bay area , but Asia/Turkey/Europe is hard.

Youā€™re UTC-8 (standard time). Turkey is UTC+3. 11 hours different. 9a for you would be 8p the same day.

It seems to be just staying at home with the maximum of closely living relatives this yearā€¦

4 Likes

Like @jcostiones I worked in retail for many years. For the last several I was responsible for turning the store from Thanksgiving to Christmas after we closed on Wednesday but before we opened Friday morning - we usually worked to to 2am and then were back in 5am Friday. Thursday was busy with company and cooking. We often hosted TD during those years and I never got to spend time with my family, some of whom would be visiting for most of the week. I was so looking forward to having the time to spend together. Oops, thatā€™s not going to happen.

Since we are relatively strict in our CV-19 protocols I wasnā€™t sure how TD was going to play out. Mr Bean is considered an essential worker and is exposed to people. Fortunately/unfortunately he is on call for Thanksgiving and canā€™t stray far from home and the problem is solved. It is the perfect ā€œexcuseā€ to not have to go somewhere where we may not feel uncomfortable or make anyone else uncomfortable.

I havenā€™t figured out what Iā€™m making yet but Iā€™m thinking Duck Confit. Iā€™ve never made it before and will have time this year. Weā€™ll definitely have pumpkin pie since I bought 2 cans of pumpkin in July ā€œjust in caseā€.

7 Likes

Scheduled times east to west coast run all day, we hop on and off while cooking and eating. Its loose and fun. With musical numbers and readings thrown in the mix. The kids pie-d me in the face on Zoom last time we logged in. Think Tik tok on steriods. It was a lot of crazy fun.

3 Likes

Have them call in first or the day before during kitchen prep time.

1 Like

Smart move. My local grocery store has been out of it for months. I hope they plan to restock before Thanksgiving but there seems to be a shortage. I may have to experiment with butternut squash and sweet potatoes, because DH will be very sad if he canā€™t get his once-a-year pumpkin pie!

1 Like

For me, this year will be hard. After losing my DH, itā€™s just me at home. Iā€™m being very strict with Covid, because Iā€™m responsible for taking my Mom (89) to the doctors, which is about every week. Sheā€™s living independently, and I donā€™t want to come in contact with anyone that might get me or her sick.

My sister has been trying to get us to come over for TD, and has suggested eating outside (in NJ!) or sitting in the garage. My neice had Covid, and recovered. But I know that her three kids are not socially distancing at all. In fact, they donā€™t even have the courtesy to wear a mask when they are around their grandmother! Itā€™s really stressful, thinking about what could happen. So, Iā€™m not attending in person. I think my Mom will stay home as well.

Mom doesnā€™t have internet or a smart phone. A virtual meal would be nice, but she would never be able to do that. So I think Iā€™ll make a traditional dinner of turkey with the fixinā€™s and bring it to her and she can eat it when sheā€™s ready. Itā€™s heartbreaking to not spend time with family, but Iā€™d rather look back after a year and say, ā€œRemember the pandemic Thanksgiving?ā€ Thatā€™s what Iā€™m shooting for!

11 Likes