Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

yes i think its the best for any occasion :smile: … hmm im curious ill try that method! for me i actually steam it first with spices in water before roasting,my aunt said the skin will be crispy if u rub salt after steaming so ive been doing it :smile: not sure but its very crispy though :smile:

My good friend in mt Shasta says he has elk steaks and sausage he wants to give me Harvested and made by a friend of his . Well this changes everything. Elk on the smoker then braised into a stew . Recreating one of the best meals of my life . Made by the wife of a hunter for the baron when I was in Austria. Turkey is out game is in .

12 Likes

OK so now I have been tasked with making gravy for 48. Yikes. Figure about 5 gallons? Will be roasting turkey parts and making turkey stock in the Instant Pot every day next week I reckon…

Mark Bittman make ahead gravy (paywall)

IP turkey stock and another one

ETA: Gallons of Great Gravy

2 Likes

Nice!

Sounds right to me.

Yup! Five gallons for two!,

Okay, I hope not. I would rather “feed the freezer”.

1 Like

This is the recipe I usually use for turkey stock. I use the oven instead of the stove. I’m going to finish in the IP!

I got necks and legs. I might smoke the legs. Anyone familiar with necks? Fun fact! Googling turkey necks does not bring up the necks of turkeys!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s my plan: roast in oven, finish in IP. Over and over and over…

1 Like

That’s quite the undertaking. I also do mine in the oven. I cook them on 200 degrees overnight. It’s so easy. Big pot, no watching, and done!

3 Likes

Oh interesting! Had planned high heat but this sounds way less stressful, thanks!

1 Like

I heat the pot up on the stovetop to a simmer to get it going. Then I put it into the oven. I know that my oven will turn off automatically after 12 hours, so I just make sure to reset it before I go to bed so it won’t turn off. The fact that you don’t boil it also makes the broth clearer. And it’s impossible to overcook at that temperature.

I do reduce it on the stovetop after fishing out all the parts and pieces before freezing it.

1 Like

On our 1 of 3 potato dishes

6 Likes

Anyone use this turkey roasting method?

2 Likes

Have you made the Yapsuk potato dish before? If so, any impressions? I ask because the potatoes I have stored up from our CSA share are clamoring to be used.

The vegetable bin is getting feisty. :wink:

3 Likes

Funny - I was just reading the same article. I’d never heard of yapsuk, but what’s not to like?!

3 Likes

If you like a crispy tater these are it! The creaminess would come from gravy.

2 Likes

My sister made these to try this specific recipe. Very easy and just as tasty as our great grandma made.

1 Like

Better than a roasting bag kit? I have only used a brown bag for ham.

1 Like

Yes, please. :yum:

I’ll probably try the Yapsuk alongside some sort of roasted winter squash prep, though perhaps not on T’Day.

You’ve given me another bright idea to put our winter veg stockpile to good use.

1 Like

Sounds delish.

My grandmother made a similarly grated and baked potato dish for evening snack (yup, that’s a thing).

We had to beg my mom to make it because the grating was such a pain compared to a similar dish that was made with boiled and mashed potatoes.

Mmmmmm potatoes!

What are your other 2 potato dishes?

2 Likes

So interesting. Tbh I’d be afraid to try it!

I wonder how this compares to very low temp slow roasting.

2 Likes

Think I just convinced my aunt to switch methods to either the Judy bird or the overnight (very slow) roast… fingers crossed!

The turkey meat is usually my least favorite part of the meal, maybe that changes this year!

1 Like