Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

Roasted sweet potatoes with sage butter
Scalloped potato casserole

1 Like

My kind of turkey day… three delicious kind of potatoes :yum:

4 Likes

A good buddy of mine does a good deal of slow cooking in his oven while he sleeps. His neighbors are used to the outdoor flavors that surround his property and his gf has never felt 100% comfortable with the oven on for long periods BUT he is a great cook.

His turkey is outstanding.

1 Like

Oven on while I sleep is not happening

I did leave the SV circulator on a couple of times

3 Likes

My brother (the chef in the family - I’m so jealous!) has the oven on overnight when he makes jachnun or cholent. I love staying overnight at his house when he makes either. No words for the aromas that fill the house.

2 Likes

Roo…have been making this dish for at least 30 years. My grandmother who was from what is called today Livov, Ukraine, made this all the time. She made two versions, one with oil and one with butter. I only make the oil version…
It is a great side dish to any meal…

5 Likes

Very interesting, one for lunch and one for breakfast… Does he start them both at the same time?

1 Like

same here! love it.

Welcome back… Me too# just show up for the meal…and you?

He has never made them at the same time, although after eating jachnun for breakfast, I don’t think it is possible to eat cholent for lunch… :grinning:

2 Likes

Loving reading about everyone’s dishes!
Has anyone used prosciutto in stuffing in lieu of sausage?
Nephews won’t touch sausage so am thinking prosciutto could stand in, or I can make vegetarian sausage instead?

3 Likes

Same here. I make stuffing with homemade croutons, herbs and a variety of mushrooms with a bit of broth and then serve the sausage in a separate dish for those who want it. The stuffing is always gone in about an hours time and I usually throw out the sausage and write a note to myself not to make it next year, but I always do - just in case.

1 Like

When I have a non-sausage eater on my guest list I just reserve a portion of the stuffing before adding sausage to the rest, and bake it in a separate small dish. As much as I love sausage, I’m not sure I would bother with it as a topping - it needs to be integrated into the stuffing to meld with everything else!

2 Likes

You are right, it is better cooked with the stuffing and not just added as a topping, but because no one likes it, except one or two people popping in over the weekend (in our house we are non-sausage eaters), it’s not worth the effort. It’s a matter of supply and demand😁

2 Likes

Great suggestions here, above.
With respect to the prosciutto, I would imagine it might add too much salt to the dish, and perhaps thinly slices might get lost, You can really add anything to your stuffing you want to, as long as everyone likes it.
I stopped using pork sausage in my stuffing a long time ago. I have used chicken sausage and even turkey sausage, and both are excellent substitutes. In recent years as I have tried to remove certain foods from my table. I have been making my stuffing strictly vegetarian, because of a guest (my cousin’s daughter) and it is no problem whatsoever.
I always start with carrots, celery, onions, in butter and evoo I have even added parsnip. I do confess to buying prepared bread stuffing, but will amp it up a bit with some sage and rosemary. I also like to add slices of Portobello mushrooms as they sometimes eat like “meat”. The moistening agent is usually vegetable stock.
I never stuff the bird, and always bake for a nice crusty top.

2 Likes

Thanks for these excellent suggestions! I think you are right, Phreddy, about the salt in prociutto. I am going to go with adding portobellos, and with the suggestions of others. And amping up the veggies.

3 Likes

+1 on what @PHREDDY says here. Sage, rosemary and/or sautéed mushrooms can bring umami to the stuffing that you might be missing In lieu of sausage. I’m partial to sage myself.

One year I made stuffing that included a chunk of prosciutto that I sliced into small lardon-type pieces. Too chewy, I thought, after the stuffing baked and the prosciutto rendered its fat.

1 Like

I love to add chestnut, apple and a cup of heavy cream to my dressing

5 Likes

Here is an idea for those who do not like to cook a whole turkey or just are alone like me. I would like to try this but cannot get to TJ when I visit my sister on thanksgiving day. They are closed n that day and has to be frosted 24 hours prior to roasting it.
This is turkey in a puff pastry shell just like Beef Wellington with all the trimmings , very reasonable at around $13.00

Hope they will still be available when I visit Va again in the near future .If anyone tries this, let me know it it is worth it.

1 Like

Thank you!
And here’s another! This is a would vide recipe from ChefSteps. I’m planning on doing this in the next day or two, and just with the “drumsticks” I picked up the other day. I was/am looking for thighs. Check out the picture!

Crispy, Tender Confit Turkey Legs Estimated time: 7–24 hr

1 Like