Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

Ok as promised…still a work in progress but this years family-wide theme is using a recipe from our Uncle Mark’s file box. When he and my Aunt (who I mention on HO often) ran holiday meals, he prepared 90% of the cooking and bartending. Mark had an infectious laugh and stories that never ended but his cooking skills were legend in our family. When he passed, my Aunt had to learn his tricks and eventually became a great cook in her own right.

This year, it’s my turn to cover mocktails/cocktails from Marks file.
Appetizers, my sisters gang is covering. Dinner will include Mark’s garlic roasted turkey legs, taters 3 ways, grilled root veg, homemade applesauce, homemade cranberry relish, Fresh Italian bread, boats of gravy and pies for dessert. Still waiting to hear which pies and still deciding on three drink choices.

11 Likes

What a wonderful tribute, and a great way to connect people’ and the meal!

You might enjoy a look at the book Batch Cocktails (my library has it) - some good tips for large quantities and making ahead (though I’m guessing you are all pros since you do this every year :grimacing:)

Lol, no pros…just a bunch of goofballs who enjoy breaking bread, drinking and playing music til we drop. Eating is just a great delicious excuse to celebrate and chow down. Uncle Mark had a big influence on many. He would have loved the HO community.

6 Likes

I will try to research it. Thxs.

Sorry meant to post the link - though my library had the ebook, so yours might have it too.

2 Likes

^ This! :heart: Thanksgiving ought to be a time for gratitude, sharing, and togetherness in whatever form we may be able to manage. Reading your words has given me a lift (as I attempt to work through some family drama, ugh).

Thank you for the good thought you have sparked.

6 Likes

I look forward to Thanksgiving. It’s probably, “the” biggest cooking holiday in the US. I adore turkey, so there’s that, as well. I’ve been making the big bird for more years than I care to admit to. Relaxing at home while basting the bird, making sides, and watching The Twilight Zone reruns are a tradition. One year 30 years ago) I made the bird and accompaniements in a timeshare. Just didn’t feel like “home.” I almost always have a T-Day rerun with a turkey breast, replacing the sides with new sides, if needed. The leftovers, turkey sandwiches and usually turkey Tetrazzini are faves I look forward to. Can’t beat Thanksgiving for good eats and one’s own traditions. Happy T-Day. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh heck, you all ARE inspiring! Today and every day…just don’t let it go to your heads, ha! :rofl::yum::wink:

3 Likes

Don’t make me hurt you with my turkey baster :wink:

4 Likes

Lol, this is getting intense here! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

All in good holiday fun! :+1:

1 Like

I’m very much looking forward to T-Day and so grateful for everything I have (and don’t have, i.e. a serious disease) in my life.

So happy to be feeling better and stronger and have the appetite back. Health and a healthy appetite are great gifts. :blush:

4 Likes

Of course @Rooster! Love it when these threads light up with inspiration and humor!

2 Likes

What kind of music do you play? Sounds like a great way to spend time together!

A whole host of family and friends play together to unwind and practice. Our set list runs the gamut; ages 15-60+ influences! Garage band setting. Seven of us have had careers as roadies, tour operators and crew wranglers. My first guitar was 5 decades ago.

Do you play?

6 Likes

Sounds nice!
I’m curious; how many people are you talking about? As mentioned elsewhere, I usually travel 3000 miles to help MIL prepare for 30 plus.

This year will be staying home and cooking for two. It’s making me think about the variety of possible experiences.

Also doing a Thanksgiving basket for First Place for Youth.

1 Like

Thank you. I think so too. 3000 miles? Wow! No, I don’t like being on the road or at airports or malls during any holiday, let alone Thanksgiving. I would say about 20-25 family and friends give or take in and out over the long weekend, but not more than seven at any given time. We usually don’t have a sit-down dinner (unless we are inviting formal guests - which is rare). We have a buffet which is set up Thursday afternoon and replenished throughout the weekend, with someone in our house eating at any given moment.

4 Likes

Okay; apparently 2487 miles, airport to airport, but as you say, there’s all that goes along with airport travel, especially during the holidays.

2487? Wow (for me 20 miles is too much)

1 Like

I hear you. That said, I’ll happily travel to see people for these occasions, and put up with the travel craziness for the togetherness.

But I have changed my timing to improve my own sanity - I try to travel on Tuesday and get back on Friday or Saturday. No more Wed-Sun for me. But I recognize that that’s a luxury - for many years, it was Wed afternoon or Thurs morning travel, and back on Sunday. Headphones, loaded tablets and phones, plentiful snacks, and a good travel pillow are my (very close) friends :grin:

4 Likes