Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

Sounds like great fun! I play for personal pleasure. I’m squarely in the bluegrass camp. I play banjo, guitar and upright bass. Not well, but enthusiastically!

2 Likes

How wonderful @heidicooksandbakes! I’m a fan of all music, bluegrass most def.

I am too! I go to all kinds of concerts, but bluegrass is simple, G, C and D mostly. So I can do that! It’s a lot of fun, as you know!

Fun! Most def. I tried retiring and disliked the downtime. Took up baking and sharing more of the household needs and my family gently told me I wasn’t cut out to stop the circuit. Lol, so I’m trying a better balance.

Isn’t it rewarding though…making music is so healing.

1 Like

that sounds wonderful. My dear husband , rip loves bluegrass . He comes home from work, exhausted mentally and physically and would take out his mandolin and play his heart out. His coworker, comes and visit and plays the guitar. Of course, he also likes country music but bluegrass is his first love.

6 Likes

I understand the need to be busy, you can’t give up what you love! And you hit the nail on the head, music is totally healing. I credit it for where I am today! And the people are a very big part of that.

1 Like

Playing with other people really elevates the whole experience!

2 Likes

Hurrah! I am reminded of one of my first hostings of Thanksgiving for the extended family. I roasted the turkey with a load of garlic and white wine, and spent some considerable time “Frenching” the green beans. My octogenarian maiden aunt sat down, sighed and announced how wonderful it was to have a good old fashioned traditional meal. How outraged she was to have been served, “Can you imagine it? Turkey with GARLIC??? and those horrid sliced up green beans.” She somehow was able to choke down the eventual dinner.

2 Likes

Ha! You must understand, garlic was one of a handful of farmed ingred that both sides of my family could agree on beautifully. No one argued garlic was needed but how much garlic was lovingly debated with regularity! Mark’s garlic turkey legs involves braising fresh cloves in olive oil and basting throughout the roasting process. Only pleasing for cooks who will tend closely to a stove Thanksgiving morning. It’s not a set it forget it prep.

2 Likes

I’m not allowed to go to my family’s homes without bringing these Potatoes au Gratin.

With Martha Stewart’s Mac & Cheese coming in at a close 2nd. M&C is not as easy to get right as it seems - proportions are key. This recipe has perfect proportions of milk, flour & cheese. And who knew that cubes of buttered white bread could transcend any other topping? I’ll never use breadcrumbs again.

(internet photo)

10 Likes

Regarding your Mac and cheese…“custard” or bechamel?

Sounds delicious to me. I hope that with the passing of time, it’s become a warm and funny memory for you.

I have seen wrinkled-nose disdain over my use of what I call “turkey tan”—aka sweet paprika—to help the bird roast to a pleasant golden brown color. My MIL was aghast, but did not stop me because she has always preferred not to cook. What she doesn’t know is that her other son now uses this trick annually and she’s been eating roast turkey prepared that way for years.

8 Likes

Bechamel @shrinkrap. I like custardy too and w/evaporated milk or even stovetop. I like all kinds but this is my go to.

3 Likes
3 Likes

:joy::joy:
I use the “turkey tan” method (great name!!), but use chili powder. By the way, I think the wrinkly-nose comes with the territory of being a MIL, nothing to do with what you are cooking or doing. I can do something and get the WN and my husband can do the exact same thing and it is “How wonderful!”. It is especially hilarious because my MIL tells me stories of how her MIL gave her the WN all the time and how lucky I am she is not like her MIL. People are funny.

7 Likes

I use sweet paprika—tasting a few grains to be sure the spice is still fresh and hasn’t gone bitter—only because the flavor is neutral.

I love chiles though, so I’m wondering if you detect any discernible flavor when you use chili powder? Also, do you use oil or butter in your application? Always looking to learn from others.

P.S. I say “turkey tan” can now go into the Hungry Onion lexicon. Along with other coinages: WN (wrinkled nose) and PSTOB (proverbial s*** ton of butter).

7 Likes

I am pretty sure there is a distinct flavor to my turkey (at least the skin) because of the chili powder (I use three tablespoons mixed with evoo).

:+1:You should create a Hungry Onion - English dictionary thread.

4 Likes

:+1: ditto.

That looks like a wonderful recipe, but if I’m going to indulge, I gotta have eggs in mine.

Favorite macaroni and cheese - bechamel or custard?

I did like the “hybrid” in my post on November 22nd, but it’s a bit fiddly.

Whatever works for you. Enjoy!

1 Like