Thanksgiving 2019 - ideas / plans / menus / raves / rants

Yeah!! H will be so pleased! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Creamed onions were a mandatory dish for my early 20C family. Never appreciated by any of the younger generations. But I now wonder if they might not be once again be appreciated. Good call!

1 Like

I love it.

NYT and Epi have their thanksgiving links up.

4 Likes

Yes, Brussels sprouts stalks (the inner part) are edible. I recall some HO posting about roasting them like bones and then scooping out the cooked innards like bone marrow!

3 Likes

@greygarious Gets the credit for that one

4 Likes

There’s some “marrow” inside that’s tasty. Here are pics from WFD when I tried it.

2 Likes

I recently had whitefish salad/pate at a restaurant and loved it - thinking about it for one of the new apps - anyone have a recipe they love?

ETA: thanks @Rooster

1 Like

I love Thanksgiving and not only because of the food, but because it is a four day weekend!!! The family is finally together from all over and we just sit and chill (the before is a bit hectic, but once the food is ready, it lasts throughout the weekend). We all sit together in the LR, light a fire and sit with our throws and just talk, laugh, catch up and of course… eat! Food is the same every year - although I make remarks at the end of the long weekend, so I don’t forget for next year (“make less of this”, “more of that”) but it’s Turkey, Cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes topped with pecans/butter/brown sugar, mushroom/herb stuffing and an Apple Pie from Drive By Pies (which are absolutely delicious).

4 Likes

Ok as promised…still a work in progress but this years family-wide theme is using a recipe from our Uncle Mark’s file box. When he and my Aunt (who I mention on HO often) ran holiday meals, he prepared 90% of the cooking and bartending. Mark had an infectious laugh and stories that never ended but his cooking skills were legend in our family. When he passed, my Aunt had to learn his tricks and eventually became a great cook in her own right.

This year, it’s my turn to cover mocktails/cocktails from Marks file.
Appetizers, my sisters gang is covering. Dinner will include Mark’s garlic roasted turkey legs, taters 3 ways, grilled root veg, homemade applesauce, homemade cranberry relish, Fresh Italian bread, boats of gravy and pies for dessert. Still waiting to hear which pies and still deciding on three drink choices.

11 Likes

What a wonderful tribute, and a great way to connect people’ and the meal!

You might enjoy a look at the book Batch Cocktails (my library has it) - some good tips for large quantities and making ahead (though I’m guessing you are all pros since you do this every year :grimacing:)

Lol, no pros…just a bunch of goofballs who enjoy breaking bread, drinking and playing music til we drop. Eating is just a great delicious excuse to celebrate and chow down. Uncle Mark had a big influence on many. He would have loved the HO community.

6 Likes

I will try to research it. Thxs.

Sorry meant to post the link - though my library had the ebook, so yours might have it too.

2 Likes

^ This! :heart: Thanksgiving ought to be a time for gratitude, sharing, and togetherness in whatever form we may be able to manage. Reading your words has given me a lift (as I attempt to work through some family drama, ugh).

Thank you for the good thought you have sparked.

6 Likes

I look forward to Thanksgiving. It’s probably, “the” biggest cooking holiday in the US. I adore turkey, so there’s that, as well. I’ve been making the big bird for more years than I care to admit to. Relaxing at home while basting the bird, making sides, and watching The Twilight Zone reruns are a tradition. One year 30 years ago) I made the bird and accompaniements in a timeshare. Just didn’t feel like “home.” I almost always have a T-Day rerun with a turkey breast, replacing the sides with new sides, if needed. The leftovers, turkey sandwiches and usually turkey Tetrazzini are faves I look forward to. Can’t beat Thanksgiving for good eats and one’s own traditions. Happy T-Day. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh heck, you all ARE inspiring! Today and every day…just don’t let it go to your heads, ha! :rofl::yum::wink:

3 Likes

Don’t make me hurt you with my turkey baster :wink:

4 Likes

Lol, this is getting intense here! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

All in good holiday fun! :+1:

1 Like