Thank you food

Good point @TheGforceNY, although I think any kind and thoughtful gestures are appreciated. I gifted my old Doc a small jar of my special sugar reduced and seedless blackberry jam. Assured him I kept a clean kitchen. He beamed and said it would probably last only about 10 minutes at his house, with his kids. Would have given him a big jar, wasn’t sure they were even jam eaters).

Back to the tipping discussion; I have a tip lol :laughing: for you if you don’t already do this. I tip very well and often. (In fact tried to tip the medical courier who hand delivered a cooler of anti-b’s to me earlier this week, and he absolutely refused to take anything. I had asked the pharm tech earlier if couriers were allowed to take tips and she didn’t know) Anyway, while traveling, I always used to tip housecleaning staff at the end of our stays, but now tip at the beginning. It’s a bit self serving, but they’re so surprised and happy with the extra $$$, they take care of us extremely well, and can’t do enough to make sure we’re happy and comfortable. I tip the concierge as well. Trust me, I’ve worked at many, many lower paying jobs in my life, most especially when I was younger, and would have been thrilled to get any extra $$.

1 Like

If memory serves, the Car Talk guys used to comment about homemade brownies and chocolate chip cookies, and delivered pizza, being surefire hits. Consider your audience.

3 Likes

A doctor is usually a long time relationship. I mean, he’s seen you naked.

Yes, I know, and didn’t want him to blab! Geez, should have given him a Ben Franklin or something! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy_cat:

1 Like

I grew up as a military dependent. When someone got sick we went to a big building and the next available doctor would make them better. It’s great.

With a doctor you think you have a relationship with (who refreshes themselves from their records before seeing you), you are dependent on their schedule for access, instead of the economies of scale that comes with a building of doctors. There are merits with both approaches - mostly I want to see a doctor when I want to see a doctor, not when they are available.

And what food did you give you them to thank them (To keep this on topic and relevant…)

I haven’t yet. I am reading every thought and considering them. I know most of these people well enough to be comfortable with a food thank you. My original thought was pigs in a blanket but the fruit and veg platter idea has a lot of appeal as sensitivity issues are easy to identify. I also like the delivery pizza idea. I’m chewing on both those.

I think pizza delivery is a great idea.

Me too.

Well you presumably live in NY. Your pizza is better than down here. grin

2 Likes

LOL. If it helps any, at one company I worked for, management would provide a free pizza lunch for everyone once a month. We appreciated the gesture.

The small company where my husband works now often has pizza delivered as a show of appreciation on various days. Also well-received. The pizza’s absolutely nothing special—it’s the consideration that people notice.

Will be interested to hear what you decide.

2 Likes

Well put. I agree.

How about delivery stromboli? A little less ick factor, maybe, with sitting around and the fats congealing and everything drying out as it gets cold.

I used to give valued customers a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. Or to some local lunch place that’s convenient to the shop.

Personally, I work in a craftsman shop and interact with the public regularly. And I would be reluctant to eat something handmade a customer brought in. Unless they were very well known and liked. But even then…

2 Likes

A “box” of Dunkin Donuts coffee, plus donuts or breakfast sandwiches, should go over well. When I was a mail carrier, that was often the branch carriers’ reward from management for dealing with unusual challenges like security threats or extreme weather. No food safety issues involved, and it’s got something for pretty much everyone, if you include decaf and tea options.

3 Likes

Yep- and their hands are dirty all day and they are busy all day. DH is a diesel mechanic and I send platters to the shop a few times a year. Individually wrapped/ packaged things that can sit out all day do best (things they can hold by the wrapper,) otherwise they can only enjoy it before they start working or after. He gave me a look like “seriously?” about fruit and vegetables. They only eat homemade foods by people they know well (girlfriends and wives basically.)

Even in just their shop a couple guys are celiac so that is always kept in mind and worked around- no one is left out.
They enjoy good coffee but work provides that for them- if your shop doesn’t that might be a nice treat.

“…and I think that doing something myself with my hands as a thank you is poignant.”

Check your ego, this is supposed to be about them, right?

3 Likes

I do take your point. However with seven mechanics, two front office, and the owner (setting aside that tipping owners makes me feel funny) the amount of money for a reasonable tip for each is simply not going to happen. I point to the references to Car Talk related to brownies and cookies.

Actually they all use gloves all the time. Company policy to reduce fingerprints inside cars and on paint.

My experience with free food is that it doesn’t “sit around all day.” They are busy. Their break room is directly in the shop with it’s own exterior door (smoke breaks away from customers coming and going). The owner is big on morale and motivation. No one would lose by this, and pictures of the mechanics getting a thank you from a customer on Yelp and Google Reviews can only help.

What sort of diesels does your husband work on? Trucks? Boats? If y’all ever want to move near Annapolis MD I have lots of leads always looking for good diesel mechanics, both fixed and mobile.

Don’t forget to review positively online, and talk to your friends about it. I think well recommended place is the best gift for them.

1 Like

:100:% agree

1 Like