Temple Gourmet Chinese, Red Bank

I’ve been there once. Posted a review somewhere here (maybe the Red Bank thread?). It was pretty lame. Expensive, pretentious, and lame.

1 Like

AND WHAT IS WITH THAT ‘BAR’???

Sidebar: Hungry Onion doesn’t think the above is worthy to be enough of a comment so I had to add these words!

4 Likes

I’ve heard a few explanations but it all comes down to them never getting their liquor license. Should have thought about that before spending the money and teasing people. And it has been years. You think they would take it down by now.

3 Likes

There was a time when I not only enjoyed their food but I craved it. In their heyday they made the best tangerine scallops I’ve ever had. Circumstances changed and I haven’t been back for the better part of a year. Looks like I need to get there soon and see for myself.

Why waste your time/money??

For my entertainment!! (Not that I’m wishing Seal a bad time but…)

seeing how badly they presented pork fried rice I’m not sure I’d ever eat anything else there. I assume place went to sh*t at some point. I’ve never seen fried rice literally white before, just some onion and what seemed like boiled or maybe badly steamed pork with no sear, color, or flavor in huge pieces strewn about. It looked like microwaved green giant rice with small amount of added onions and a cpl green things and microwaved pork added in. I wish I took a picture for everyone to see.

1 Like

A real slap in the face considering the arrogance of their menu. The chicken and broccoli states something along the lines of “this is the best you’ll ever have”. That was a turn off for me…especially after walking in on a 100 degree day last summer and hearing I couldn’t have a cold beer.

When I get to a computer I’ll share my review again.

1 Like

All this talk of Chinese food caused us to head to House of Chong tonight. Delicious as always. Left stuffed with lots of leftovers.

1 Like

Funny after little schezhan and oriental empire didn’t pick up Chong was my next thought. Then I get visions of sitting in traffic on 35 in my head to cross over to Middletown and I figured, let’s try Temple. It’s fancy and has an upscale menu, how bad can it be? It’s just pork fried rice. Meanwhile they forgot half my order, didn’t charge me for it but at first I was pissed; in retrospect they did me a favor.

4 Likes

I’ll link my review to Temple here. Gave it a 2.5 out of 5 stars around this time last year. Looking back on it, I don’t know why it wasn’t lower. Some pics are below. That whole “gourmet” label they give themselves does not quite fit when you see the meals below, both heaping piles of deep fried nonsense.

t2
Salt and Pepper chicken

t3
Sesame shrimp

2 Likes

I would have killed if my food looked that good Mon…

1 Like

On my blog’s dashboard, it keeps track of views and where they are coming from, etc. It also lists search engine terms that people typed in to find me. Some can be real doozies, but today, lo and behold someone searched Google: “why doesn’t temple restaurant have a bar”. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

LOL!!! I swear that wasn’t me!

2 Likes

Found this posted elsewhere. Temple has started charging a fee for paying by card. I’ve never gone because I’ve heard bad things but this makes it even less likely.

1 Like

We’re going to be seeing that more and more frequently.

I don’t know which thread it was, but I shared a pic of a notice at The Globe charging a “non-cash adjustment fee” of 3.95%. They have been doing this for three or four months at least.

Ah, here it is:

Hilarious that in both cases, the way it is phrased is giving customers a “discount” for paying cash when that price is really just the original price before the adjustment!

2 Likes

We did this in the small family-owned restaurant where I work nights. Most people understood but one scathing review and the owner switched back. Feedback indicated customers preferred to pay higher menu prices than this fee, so she raised prices. Good for the server (me) as it raised check averages.

3 Likes

DC is currently suing Marriott for adding a resort fee to customers’ bills. People are basically tired of being told that something costs (e.g.) $10 and then discovering it is really $12.50 after one adds sales tax, tip, and credit card fee. (Overseas visitors are really annoyed; many come from countries that have whatever you are going to be charged included in the menu price.)

"Residents are more than welcome
Bridal suite is occupied
Reasonable charges
Plus some little extras on the side!

Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice
Two percent for looking in the mirror twice
Here a little slice, there a little cut
Three percent for sleeping with the window shut
When it comes to fixing prices
There are a lot of tricks he knows
How it all increases, all them bits and pieces
Jesus! It’s amazing how it grows!"

[–“Master of the House”, LES MISERABLES]

1 Like

It’s called the greedy preying on the stupid. We need many fewer of both.

1 Like