Teach me about turmeric

Hi, @Rooster! Any chance that the markets you speak of are in the Edison (NJ) area? We get down that way to see family sometimes and I would welcome a good reason to explore.

Yes! We go to the large markets, sweet shops and buffet lunch in Edison/Iselin area. Do you need specific recommendations?

If you happen to have any top picks in the Edison/Iselin area, I would love to hear about them for future reference. I would not even know where to start.

Why, that could be a great HO topic on its own! :grinning:

1 Like

If you can find fresh turmeric root, you can make turmeric paste. I made one from the Shockeys’ book Fermented Vegetables, but there are plenty of recipes online. If you do get the fresh roots, make sure to follow fooddabler’s advice and wear gloves when you handle it!

Good idea about a new topic…see you on the NJ board.

1 Like

Join me😁

1 Like

I made some awesome turmeric-brined cauliflower pickles from the cookbook Dining In last month.
Recipe:
Cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small bite-sized florets, enough to fill 2 x 1 pint Mason jars
1 or 2 thinly sliced shallots
Brine:
1 cup distilled white vinegar
2 T kosher salt
1 T black peppercorns
1 tsp ground turmeric or 2 T peeled and chopped fresh turmeric
2 cups water
Put brine ingredients in a saucepan large enough to hold the cauliflower, bring to a simmer, add florets and simmer a minute or two. Pour florets + brine into Mason jars, add sliced shallot, put lids on and leave on counter till room temp, then refrigerate. These are really, really good after 3 days and continue to be delicious. They really perk up whatever else is on the plate.

7 Likes

Wow, that recipe combines alot of my favorites in one, thxs!

1 Like

I just picked up 2 pints of fresh turmeric- I think i’ll make these tonight! Thanks!

1 Like

This was a delicious meal. I made a double batch so my sister could try it. Highly recommend.

I slso had a smoothie with coconut milk , fresh mango and turmeric for breakfast.

Good stuff.

Thanks. Lovely picture.

(Is that an outhouse in the background? You have all the modern amenities.)

1 Like

It’s a strong element in this Iraqi curried catfish, which is delicious! http://www.mideastchef.com/middle-eastern-and-chaldean-recipes-blog/masgouf-fish-topped-with-a-tomato-and-curry-sauce

2 Likes

Sorry I missed this @fooddabbler - no, it doesn’t sting, the hardest part is being careful so you don’t stain things an irreversible shade of yellow…

Anyone ever try a turmeric blend on popcorn?

Your fingers would sure get yellow!!

3 Likes

And it doesn’t seem to rinse off easily either! I’m still not sure i ever got the stain all the way out of my juicer… (which has seen better days anyhow)

1 Like

I was thinking along these snacking ideas.

1 Like

Are those baked, or fried? If they’re fried, I wonder if there’s enough turmeric in them to even counterbalance, much less outweigh, the reported inflammation-inducing tendencies of deep-fried potatoes, vegetable oil, and dairy?:wink:

4 Likes

MikeG, yeah I wasnt focused on the supposed health claims. I have never purchased them so I dont know how they are made. I only used a quick screen grab to compare the use of turmeric on snack foods and if they stain your fingers while munching😁.

Maybe a HO who has eaten these chips can tell me if their fingers turned permanent yellow. Id like to try a popcorn that has turmeric dust.

1 Like

Sorry if it came across that way, but I wasn’t commenting on your having posted about them, it was meant as a comment on Lay’s having come up with the idea to cash in on turmeric’s trendiness as a Superfood, and and the linked blog post’s headline.

It just drives me mildly nuts the way every time new research comes out identifying (or even merely hinting at) a possible connection between some food or another and either a potential benefit or a potential “harm” from it - however theoretical or statistically minor it is in the scheme of an overall diet - cyberspace goes wild either glorifying or demonizing it. And I find it especially hilarious (in a laugh-so-you-don’t-cry sorta way) when a Superfood Du Jour gets showcased in a junk food flavor of all things… And when the particular junk food in involves foods that (allegedly) have a exact opposite health impact, the irony edges its way toward surrealism…

On a more even-keeled note, I guess one could say that at least the Superfood mitigates the “harm” of the Bad Food (and its certainly better than Olestra-fried fried-snack food! o_O), but "now you can have your deep-fried potato snacks without exacerbating your chronic medical condition " isn’t quite the same thing as an implicit “eat your way to health with our latest junk food!”…:wink: