TACOS - Winter 2023 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

Chickpeas and mushrooms in the style of chorizo in tacos, with roasted zucchini and more mushrooms! Adapted from Forks Over Knives:

The chickpeas and mushrooms ended up with a hummus like consistency (I probably over processed it). So, it was more like a refried bean taco with chorizo flavors. Stiil, nothing wrong with that!.. Tomatillo salsa and crema to go with. Very satisfying!

8 Likes

Voting for the March Cookbook of the month is happening now and is extended until Sunday evening. Head over and vote if you are interested in cooking along!

1 Like

Chipotle chorizo and potato tacos with cheese, salsa, and crema.

The chipotle chorizo is from the Amá cookbook, which I made a batch of and froze in 1/2lb portions. This is the last of it. Here’s a link to the recipe.

7 Likes

That looks amazing!

1 Like

Thank you!

I made some pibil pork on Sunday using this recipe more or less but in a pressure cooker for about an hour rather than in a slow cooker. I made some tacos with it tonight with pickled onions and various habanero hot sauces, on corn tortillas.

6 Likes

Grilled octopus tacos, with serranos torreados, crushed peanuts, and lime.

The octopus came tenderized, cooked, and frozen, so it was just a matter of thawing and grilling on medium for about 3-4 minutes a side (ok, maybe 5 on one side and 2 on the other). Serranos torreados are serrano chiles that you rub between your hands to “annoy” (torreado) and then char with onions (I used shallots) and season with salt and lime.

9 Likes

Panko crusted cod tacos. Simple and delicious! I seasoned the flour dredge for the fish with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning and salt. Then they were egg washed and dipped in panko. They shallow fried and about 340F. I made pico de gallo and we also added some spring mix that needed to get used up.

9 Likes

Al pastor style pork tacos. Forgot the pineapple!

5 Likes

The nomination process has begun for the April Cookbook of the Month. If you are interested in participating in COTM, please come over and join in the nominations.

1 Like

I now have a working corn tortilla recipe. 1 cup masa harina, 1/2 c + 3 T water, 2 T olive oil, salt.

Tortilla press made of two cake pans and some nonstick parchment paper:

IMG_6817

Still needs a roll out.

IMG_6818

Et voila.

IMG_6821

With perch, pea shoots, salsa, sliced avocado.

IMG_6827

Next time I will cook them longer, but I’m fine with every other aspect of the tortillas.

13 Likes

Great looking and sounding tacos!

Thanks!

1 Like

I made some quesabirria tacos using this recipe for the birria:

But with a few modifications - I added about a cup more water because I wanted more consommé (next time will add 2 cups), and also strained the consommé because there were some tough chili bits in there - next time will probably blend it in the Vitamix rather than with the immersion blender. Otherwise came out pretty good.

Made corn tortillas with Bob’s Red Mill masa harina.

15 Likes

I hope it tasted as good as it looks - the photos are mouth watering! :yum:

1 Like

That looks great! I need to make birria. It’s been too long (and I think I still have the braising liquid from the last one in my freezer)!

1 Like

Breakfast Tacos with Fresh Green Chorizo, Purple Potatoes, Eggs, and Cheddar

Today felt like a breakfast taco morning. I found in my freezer the last of a batch of Alex Stupak’s fresh green chorizo. I browned it up and added tomatoes, onion, garlic, serrano peppers. I let that cook down until saucy. Then I added diced purple potatoes that needed to get used up. Those cooked together until the potatoes got soft. Finally, I stirred in some eggs and cheddar and cooked until the eggs were cooked through and distributed. We had these with flour tortillas, scallions, sour cream, cilantro, and lime.

8 Likes

Carnitas tacos with guacamole

9 Likes

Tacos de Pollo a las Brasas

I made Rick Bayless's Roadside Chicken tonight and added some potato, fennel, and red onions. Vegetables, especially potatoes, cooked in chicken drippings are a glorious thing and make amazing tacos. I served these with the salsa macha that we are cheerfully working our way through.
9 Likes

Cheese and roasted poblano tacos, following this recipe:

12 Likes