TACOS - Winter 2023 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

Zucchini and Mushroom Tacos in a zesty chipotle tomato sauce with goat cheese. These are from COTM Mexican Everyday, by Rick Bayless.

11 Likes

i’m applauding all the veggie tacos here - this is the world i generally live in with my family.

papas, sweet potatoes, zuc, shrooms, beans, really nice

also looks good mr happy on the shrimp. no portion uncovered !

5 Likes

Breakfast tacos on flour tortillas with egg, green onion, Trader Joe’s hash brown, cheddar cheese, and bacon.

I used this flour tortilla recipe divided by 4:

13 Likes

Potato and cauliflower tacos with tomatillo salsa and toasted pecans

I used some of a batch of roasted tomatillo salsa from COTM Mexican Everyday as the base of a quick guisado of red potatoes and cauliflower. We garnished with cilantro and toasted pecans. This was a delicious carb bomb!

10 Likes

Our first take at Tacos this quarter:

The cranberry beans were the hit. We used Lifelight non-gmo soy ground with our own mix of seasonings.
These tortillas were purchased, but we hope to make them ourselves next round.
The olives were an homage to a 7-layer dip we had this holiday season. It was so fun to see sliced black olives used on something!

4 Likes

Miso marinated black cod with salad fixings and crispy nori on flour tortillas. Inadvertent fusion taco Tuesday! Black cod was marinated with shiro miso, sake, mirin, a little oil, and ginger for 48 hours and then broiled. A little togarashi was sprinkled on top before eating, too.

18 Likes

Nice!! We have some miso marinated black cod vac packed in freezer, was planning to serve some as an appetizer to our guests this weekend for CNY dinner.

I might use Mu Shu skins (instead of flour tortilla) for a lighter appetizer. Thanks!!

3 Likes

Mu Shu pancakes would also be excellent with this!

More tacos, tonight with corn tortillas - Salmon in Pipian Verde with Sesame from COTM Mexican Everyday.

10 Likes

Spicy shrimp tacos on homemade flour tortillas, with mashed avo, shredded cabbage and sriracha mayo.

The shrimp marinade was from previous COTM Ama. The tortilla recipe - a favorite and laden with bacon fat - is from the New York Times.

13 Likes

First stab at homemade corn tortillas, and I’m glad I was only making them for me. I used white corn masa harina and Rick Bayless’ method. The edges were raggedy (which is on me), and the tortillas didn’t puff up like Rick said they would (let’s blame him, shall we?). Two filled with shrimp, two with perch, both with salsa, sour cream, hot sauce and avocado. Tasted okay, looked like a literal hot mess. Gonna try this again, obviously.

13 Likes

9 Likes

Around here I wouldn’t bother making them at home. Cheap and awesome at the local Taco Trucks.

8 Likes

Braised beef cheeks and short ribs in guajillo, pasilla, and ancho Chile and garlic with homemade roasted tomatillo and serrano salsa on corn tortillas. Cross posted from the WFD thread. Delicious!

12 Likes

beef cheeks are totally underrated in the culinary world. beef tongue too.

3 Likes

Agreed!

Seafood tacos for lunch! Battered cod on one, shrimp on the other, with avocado, roasted red pepper, and crumbled feta.

9 Likes

So many delicious-looking tacos!!

I make a lot of tacos with corn tortillas. When I have the time, I start with whole corn and make nixtamal using pickling lime. One of those big, red painted iron corn grinders, from Columbia, has had the burrs polished down so the whole kernels can be ground into fresh masa dough. If you’ve ever had this type of tortilla, you know the flavor is more like roasted corn and the tortilla is both softer and sturdier, less brittle than tortillas made from dried masa.

Still, masa harina gets used a lot. A flat cast iron griddle stands in for a comal. There are tricks to getting a tortilla press to work correctly. The one I got made tortillas too thick and somewhat uneven. The device needed some paperboard cutout to fit the bottom, and I use a couple pennies (US), taped to the cardboard to act as spacers. The pennies are just outside the area where the masa gets pressed.

A press saves a lot of time, once you get it adjusted for your needs. I’m pressing tortillas while the prior one is cooking, so it’s an assembly line that proceeds very quickly. Using thicker plastic bags, like freezer bags, works better than thin film to line the top and bottom of the press. I’ll try to get a picture up, showing the press setup, with coins, when I get a chance.

7 Likes

Tacos de Pescado Ahumado a la Vinagreta
These are adapted from the Tacos de Mariscos a la Vinagreta recipe in the January 2023 COTM, Mexican Everyday. I love this dish! Very simple to put together and can be used with any cooked seafood you have on hand.

8 Likes