TACOS - Winter 2023 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter

We had tacos this past week - old school style: ground meat (turkey), hard shells, etc. I’ve switched from the pre-packaged seasoning to this homemade one, using smoked paprika and leaving out the red pepper flakes because my 12yo can’t tolerate spicy. (The blogger doesn’t say this clearly, but a 1X recipe is enough for 1lb of meat.)

5 Likes

I make breakfast tacos using pancakes.
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 2.59.05 PM

5 Likes

I have this press, it takes up little space:

I usually use it a few times a month but I do eat a fair amount of tortillas.

Re: plastic wrap when pressing masa - I’ve had the best success using polyethylene “bread bags” which are thin and light, cut up into two pieces. Doesn’t even need oil or cooking spray, just maybe a wipe down of the plastic with a paper towel after each tortilla. Ziplocs, which are a bit heavier, I find tend to stick more, especially with fresh masa.

5 Likes

Thanks! If it looks like I’m going to making corn tortillas on the regular, I’ll consider that one.

1 Like

Is that legal?
Chocotaco enters the chat.
:taco: :taco:

Breakfast tacos.

Chorizo-scallion scramble, refried beans, queso and pickled peppers on storebought tortillas. Served with some pan-refried leftover yams.

11 Likes

Also breakfast tacos! Eggs, mushrooms, tomato, onions, cheese, and tomatillo avocado salsa, on corn tortillas.

9 Likes

Tacos with chorizo and potato, with onions, panela cheese, and avocado tomatillo salsa.

11 Likes

Tacos with pulled pork, queso, guac, sour cream, salsa verde, onions and cilantro.

10 Likes

Tacos gobernador - tacos with shrimp and cheese, open faced because of an excess of filling.

11 Likes

Two nights ago:

Sweet potato-black bean taco, with usual add ons of shredded cabbage, pickled red onions, cheese, etc.

The good: the filling was sweet potatoes cubed and roasted with salsa negra and olive oil, following the Rick Bayless technique for eggplants in the Jan 2023 COTM. After roasting, drained can of black beans mixed in. This came out really yummy.
The toppings, homemade pico de gallo, pickled red onions, etc.

The bad: we usually make corn tacos very successfully at home but this time they were flabby and seemed undercooked, despite following the same recipe on the bag and toasting quite a long time. :woman_shrugging:t4:

The odd: wanted to use up this mutant sweet potato that came in the CSA. Never seen one this big. It weighed around 2.6 lbs or 1.18 kg!
We made about 1/3 into taco fillings and 2/3 is still in the fridge. Had a ton of leftover fillings converted into burritos last night.
The sweet potato came with a mini sized (1.28 lb or 580 gm) butternut squash.

Pic for size comparison.

11 Likes

Zucchini and Mushroom Tacos in a zesty chipotle tomato sauce with goat cheese. These are from COTM Mexican Everyday, by Rick Bayless.

11 Likes

i’m applauding all the veggie tacos here - this is the world i generally live in with my family.

papas, sweet potatoes, zuc, shrooms, beans, really nice

also looks good mr happy on the shrimp. no portion uncovered !

5 Likes

Breakfast tacos on flour tortillas with egg, green onion, Trader Joe’s hash brown, cheddar cheese, and bacon.

I used this flour tortilla recipe divided by 4:

13 Likes

Potato and cauliflower tacos with tomatillo salsa and toasted pecans

I used some of a batch of roasted tomatillo salsa from COTM Mexican Everyday as the base of a quick guisado of red potatoes and cauliflower. We garnished with cilantro and toasted pecans. This was a delicious carb bomb!

10 Likes

Our first take at Tacos this quarter:

The cranberry beans were the hit. We used Lifelight non-gmo soy ground with our own mix of seasonings.
These tortillas were purchased, but we hope to make them ourselves next round.
The olives were an homage to a 7-layer dip we had this holiday season. It was so fun to see sliced black olives used on something!

4 Likes

Miso marinated black cod with salad fixings and crispy nori on flour tortillas. Inadvertent fusion taco Tuesday! Black cod was marinated with shiro miso, sake, mirin, a little oil, and ginger for 48 hours and then broiled. A little togarashi was sprinkled on top before eating, too.

18 Likes

Nice!! We have some miso marinated black cod vac packed in freezer, was planning to serve some as an appetizer to our guests this weekend for CNY dinner.

I might use Mu Shu skins (instead of flour tortilla) for a lighter appetizer. Thanks!!

3 Likes

Mu Shu pancakes would also be excellent with this!

More tacos, tonight with corn tortillas - Salmon in Pipian Verde with Sesame from COTM Mexican Everyday.

10 Likes