Survey for my New Jersey Friends

I live in Middlesex with roots in Bergen and Hudson. A few years back, a Wawa near me closed and became a Pantry One. Curious, I did a search online and discovered an entire thread about it on this website called Chowhound! I was elated to know there were people out there besides me who are interested in these things! I signed up and joined the conversation and immediately incurred the wrath of Just Jake. But I was not deterred. I was tipped off that many ex-chowhounders have surfaced here.

2 Likes

Nice to meet you! Passed by that spot many times on my way to work. I graduated HS in early 80s so a little younger than your brother I would guess.
I am hit/miss on Raven and the Peachā€¦havenā€™t had a consistently good experience there unfortunately but I keep hoping. The owner is only a part time restaurateur and I always felt both his places lack a real commitment to food as well as experiencing a high turnover in management. Heā€™s got a captive audience since he owns the only 2 liquor licenses in town so I guess its not a priority.

Sadly I canā€™t argue with you, when Raven is on, they are on. When they arenā€™t itā€™s hard to pay those prices for something you are not thrilled with. They do have a steakhouse menu and their steaks etc. are very good so thatā€™s what I go there for. Richard, the owner, is a real estate developer by trade and restaurateur by hobby. I do still love the place though, my favorite since I moved to the area in 94.

Where are some of your favā€™s?

Another Filipino venue

http://www.tropicalhutcatering.com/old-bridge/

Mostly catering but they have takeout. Ordered whole roasted pig (lechon) a long time ago ā€¦was good.

A few filipino acquantances I have seem favorable about this place as well

3 Likes

True about the steaksā€¦not many decent area options for that unfortunately. I am looking forward to trying Joe Amielā€™s new restaurant at the marina where I keep my boat in Highlands. Looks promising. Other area favorites are via 45 in RB when we can get a table, Christineā€™s in Atl Highlands, Pascal & Sabine in AP.

I have yet to try Graze in Little Silver but hear decent things. Agree with your Spiritoā€™s reference above btwā€¦ Santilloā€™s if Iā€™m taking out though.

@Oldandtired I stop and get takeout from t hut often. I have to call ahead sometimes when getting the rolls so theyā€™ll save me 4 or 5 dozen. Their steam table is always crammed with goodies. Not too in love with their rice though. Oooh - almost forgot those amazing pork skewers!

@bropaul and @taboni ! Great to see you here!

1 Like

@NotJrvedivici , I am interested in that, please let me know when and where you meet, hopefully I can make it. Fresco is good, in that same strip mall is Rice Factory, which is generally good, though occasionally they forget to add the heat, so you have to remind them.

As far as hidden gems, my favorite two local places are in South River, River Thai and Krakowiak. Both are excellent. If you like Indian, Bollywood Tadka is also very good.

As far as steak places, EB is sort of a food desert, maybe Gustoā€™s, not really a steak place, but they generally serve tasty food, including a few steak options.

1 Like

I posted this on another thread but I thought Iā€™d share it here too. Looks like thereā€™s a decent amount of Flip restaurants in that area. Iā€™d really like to try some and get to know their food better. Yum.

So anyway, about the Filipino food, Iā€™m not sure which exactly it was but hereā€™s what I found on Yelp:

Another few places to add to the list of growing want to try places in the Edison area. Some of these places seem really Chowhoundy which gets my juices going!

in EB, there is a new Filipino restaurant on the north side of 18, the last strip mall before the turnpike entrance, I think it took the place of a deli that used to be there. I have not tried it, but a friend in town, a Filipino who is a foodie, really likes it.

Speaking of Filipino food, I have had Jollybee over in Manila a few times, there is now a Jollybee in I think Jersey City, which I may try one of these days. I have noticed the same friend has posted his visits to this place on Facebook, he seemed to like it.

Iā€™m from Union County. A hot dog fanatic that posted on Chowhound, Egullet, Mouthfuls, and Roadfood under my name as well as hotdoglover. I became fairly inacactive once my buddy and I started Hot Dog Nation on Facebook. I was made aware of and invited to Hungry Onion recently. Currently Iā€™m taking a break from Facebook and will be spending more time here. Hot dogs are my passion and really the only thing I cook. Which is good for my family and friends. Last time I attempted to prepare a meal I burned the salad! I will be reviewing hot dogs soon with Pete Genovese for nj.com and the Star Ledger.

3 Likes

I hope you donā€™t put ketchup on your hot dogs. That is disgusting.

Never. Mustard only 90% of the time. Less is more when it comes to hot dogs. Iā€™m not a fan of the current ā€œhauteā€ dog trend.

Hotdoglover!! I remember you well from Chow, I had an inkling it was you when you posted about the 14th annual hot dog crawl in the NJ hotdog thread. Oh, I use to be jrvedivici on chow just in case my new handle threw you off. (Joke) Glad to have you here, if you donā€™t mind me asking how did you hear of HO? Please invite as many as you can to join us, we are always looking for quality contributions such as yours!

1 Like

bbqboy sent me a link from the thread on Sonnyā€™s. Glad to be here.

1 Like

Wow! Welcome, John! Great to see you here! It has been a very long time since we last interacted on food forums. If youā€™ll recall, I told you about the hot dogs at my kosher butcher, Goldbergā€™s. He retired and died several years later. I still miss him. Other people took over the store, but it was never the same and didnā€™t last long. Fortunately, Wegmans in Manalapan (5 minutes from our house) carries Hebrew National hot dogs on strings as well as specials, so thatā€™s where I get them.

I look forward to seeing you posting here often.

My Blog
My Flickr

1 Like

Hi Roz! I remember. Hope all is well with you. I havenā€™t come across your name I awhile. You can also get Hebrew National with casings at Maple Kosher in Union. Same strip mall where Sydā€™s was.

Glad you have you here. Love the Nation and am glad it has grown, I hope you and Benzee can monetize it somehow. That said, with the growth comes a decreasing local interest, I have zero desire to see the abominations they call hot dogs in the south and west of this great nation of ours. :smiley:

1 Like

Any man who calls himself hot dog lover has my full attention. Welcome!

I remember your exploits from the Chowhound daysā€¦but I realized I never asked:

If you can eat just two final hot dogs before your death, what would they be and how would they be topped?

1 Like

They would be a Bestā€™s 5 to a pound all beef natural casing all beef dog boiled, then charbroiled. And a Thumanns natural casing beef and pork dog, 6 to a pound, griddled. Both topped with mustard only.

2 Likes