Survey for my New Jersey Friends

Edison??? CK that’s my hometown!! I’m still in the area frequently would love to get together. Good luck and enjoy!

NotJr, I was looking up reviews on NJ Greek places and HO came up in my search.

Favs at the moment,
The Greek Spot. We just gave Old Glory in Keyport a try and def. liked the food and vibe. Need to return to properly review it.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this spot. What do you recommend? I have to visit my accountant soon in Keyport so I may have to stop by.

http://www.oldglorynj.com
I know Old Glory replaced Trinity; an original church structure. The interior opens via large garage doors to the outside and a connected outside dining area. The basement houses a whiskey bar.

The menu consists of made to order brick oven pizza, wings, burgers and bar type appetizers. The bars serve cocktails and beers. The pizza and wings we ordered were great, especially with iced cold beer.

They advertise a number of weekly specials and the co owner Chris mentioned live entertainment is in the works.

My wife and I may coordinate a family dinner there this summer. The family style sitting upper level is very party friendly.

Sounds good. I see they have half price wing night. I might have to try that out. Any good beers on tap?

http://www.oldglorynj.com/menus/
we had a red lager with our meal. was told it was made in nj. scarlet something.

An ex-pat from CH, where I was JustJake. And I’ve been know to get a bit pissy at times, but that’s just a small part of who I am. :slight_smile:
Always have lived below the Driscoll and have been in Monmouth County (W. Allenhurst) for over 40 years now, with a short stint away at school in NY. Have a handful of friends who happen to be chefs (and good ones), so I’ve learned much over the years via our friendship.

Used to dine all over the state and in NYC, but I’ve retired, but have not slowed down. Travel a real lot up and down the Eastern seaboard, and enjoying the simple things in this life (and that typically includes great food). Waiting on Wifey to retire and begin to stretch out even more.

And sorry that I’ve missed the occasional get together, especially the now twice visited 4Seasons Thai foray. Later.

1 Like

JJ, look at you sneaking around here with a new name, Mr Koolbreeze! Lol Nice to see you found / follows us over here. Thankfully I don’t recall you ever getting “pissy” so I wouldn’t sweat it my friend. I also didn’t realize you were so “local”, please share a few of your favorite local spots with us.

1 Like

Hey gossamer! It’s good to see some fresh young asian blood on this board. Mine is sure getting old.

I’ve been wanting to check out some Filipino places. There is one place in Neptune, and seems to be a couple more near Matawan/Old Bridge. And I hear there’s a lot more in Jersey City. Do you have any recommendations on where to go/what to order?

I also came over from CH because of the dearth of action regarding North/Central NJ. Sorry to say not much better here.

1 Like

Welcome!! Please feel free to try and change your impression so far, the more the merrier!

I also participated in Chowhound, heard about HU, so signed up here as well.

Grew up mostly in Morris County plus a few other countries, moved to Middlesex County about 20 years ago, East Brunswick area.

Always find good information from the food boards, but the quality has declined over the past x number of years.

Another migrant from CH …checked out this board + MF and found I like the activity here much better. Originally from Union county (Roselle Park), then a 10 year stint in London, and now living past 20 years in Monmouth County (Fair Haven).
I am an avid eater and cook of almost anything, but particular to smoked pork products.

1 Like

If one of these is Chicken Holiday, its Filipino offerings are mighty slim. There are only four of them (BBQ chicken & ribs, grilled tilapia, pancit, and a noodle dish just listed as “Delicious Philippine Dish”!), they seem to be only on weekends, and I think you need to call ahead to make sure they have the ingredients or something.

That’s disappointing, because I was hoping for something more.

The only other places in the area I know of are Phil-Am and Flavours of Manilain East Brunswick. Phil-Am (in the strip mall next to that of the Korean restaurant) was basically a steam table/cafeteria when we were there many years ago; we were not impressed. Haven’t been to Flavours of Manila, which is down by the Turnpike.

Interesting, my brother is from Roselle Park, went to high school etc. there in the 70’s. Depending on your age you might remember the Meadow’s Diner on Dowd Ave in Elizabeth, more a truck stop than a family diner, it was directly across the street from Lookers. Now it’s called the Seaport Diner but back in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s it was the Meadow’s Diner and that was my family.

Now I live in Tinton Falls, very near the MJ’s and Woddy’s that opened up on Sycamore. My favorite local restaurant has been Raven and Peach in Fair Haven. Welcome neighbor!!

Jim, my office is on 18 in Old Bridge @seal and myself meet up for lunch in the area every now and then. The latest trip was to Local Smoke BBQ which opened in the old Dickies location. Next time you should join us! Fresco is my favorite restaurant in East Brunswick, you have an hidden gems you care to share? (Other than that I hit New Brunswick up frequently. My favorite stop there is Steak85)

EDIT***
Sorry the location is Jersey Shore BBQ, not Local Smoke.

The old Dickie’s locations is Jersey Shore BBQ, not Local Smoke.

Thank you I corrected my post.

I work a mile down the road from the Seaport Diner. Haven’t been there, yet. You know any good food around in Elizabeth area?

This is the best place I know in Elizabeth;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spiritos-Restaurant/102223626487764

Just FYI my family hasn’t owned the Seaport since the mid 80’s.