Survey: CHOWHOUND or not CHOWHOUND?

Fear not! I saw it, and I’m 3000 miles from LA.

Great!!

1. Yes, 15+ years or so.

2. Here only. Had pretty much left CH about 2 years ago. No posting. Came back briefly over the summer for some specific help, but found the same nastiness in replies. Gone for good.

3. Home Cook, although I have a passion for all things Cheese!!!

Nice to see so many familiar and friendly people here. Sadly, CH just doesn’t get it that it’s all about the community!!!

2 Likes
  1. yes, from Chowhound. Been reading and posting there for a looooong time. Was more active when I lived in Boston proper, once I moved to Southeast MA there was less chow and no dedicated board.

2. I still go to CHowhound on occasion and will continue to do so, though the Boston board seems a little moribund but for a few stalwarts

3. mostly still interested in Boston & Providence, but NYC boards are important too

1 Like

Welcome!! Prime 10 Steakhouse enjoyed many a good steak there while my daughter attended Johnson and Wales. There was also an excellent Italian restaurant which was located in the basement of an old bank building, cannot remember the name though. That’s all I have for Providence for you!

That would frame it well. By the way, Québec where I live is a hotspot for foie gras.

There is! There’s a whole separate board now for baking and sweets. Come check out the autumn baking thread I started a couple of weeks ago and let us know what you’ve been up to. Welcome!

2 Likes

I am from CH & I’m going to make a perhaps unpopular comment about that. CH is old news, yesterday’s business. I haven’t been there much since the change & not at all since I came here. I guess it’ll take some time but I’d like to see less CH comments here & move forward with our interests in cooking & eating. Maybe that’s just going to take some time. So far, "Fermented Foods’ is my favorite.

2 Likes

Long time CH member (under another name) on the SF Bay Area forum. One day, many moons ago, I posted an article about a local restaurant being closed by the health dept. CH pulled the post down. I then posted asking why the post was removed, it was a legit article from The Chronicle. My post asking why it was pulled was also removed without explanation. At that point my contributions to the site diminished greatly. I continued to lurk and post rarely. CH has been in decline for quite a while but the latest rework was the final blow. I checked out this site and the other RL run site. After a couple of weeks lurking on both, I chose to join this one. I like it!

3 Likes

Welcome!!! Just like moms apple pie for desert, there’s always room for a little more! Hope you find the environment more inviting and hopefully you’ll get back to contributing again!

1 Like

CH always seems to have had an odd attitude towards factual reports of this nature. I’ve had at least one thread pulled for the same reason as yours and another pulled after a raid by immigration authorities left the restaurant with no option to close as it had almost no staff left.

2 Likes

one has to keep in mind that the moderators / staff at CH are hired hands - and we all know how hard it is to get good help - who know absolutely zip comma zilch about cooking, ingredients or eating. nor do they appear to have any clue about what the site was about.

I can quite without much imagination understand why any message / thread less than glowing praise of the “new and not really improved” site gets trashed, but stuff that deals with food&places being capriciously left / deleted, , , seriously?

I too would appreciate an absence of the constant CH hounding. it’s history, they’ve done what they’ve done and “That’s All Folks!”

I was hoping a new community would build here - but one can quite readily apprise, the rules are being ignored and Admin is having to spend more and more time to address / handle “behavioral” issues. personally I’m still on the bench as to whether to become more invested in the HO community or just hang it up as another batch of back country yahoos who insist on their right to free speech.

1 Like

I agree that it’s time for people to move on. I couldn’t possibly care less about CH at this point.

Ancient history.

5 Likes

I am also considering whether to continue to be invested or just hang it up as another batch of elitist’s who insist that their way is the only way.

I got a similar post pulled down - funny, the original post was about a market in my area being fined by the health department. That was allowed to stay. My reply to a post about which supermarket would take over for the local A&P was pulled because the poster suggested the market that had been fined and I said - if they clean up their act (referring to the DOH article) That reply was pulled.

I’ve turn the page, not looking to start an ex-CH support group.

2 Likes

I belong to a couple of private forums. The moderators who are members lay ground rules for acceptable conduct and most often don’t have to get involved since the members respect the rules of plays and in the end friendships are formed through interactions on the board. I see this here but it’s a much more diverse group here.

It takes a velvet glove to moderate and keep everyone happy. In any board there needs to be mutual respect between members. Moderation should occur on its own for the most part.

4 Likes

Respectful behavior, unfortunately, is rare on the interwebz, given people’s anonymity, and the lack of any real consequences. One of many reasons I tend to steer clear of any “comment sections” – and I’m a much happier person for it.

Yes, yes, and regional (NJ).

You should remove your avatar if you don’t want baggage following you everywhere.