Survey: CHOWHOUND or not CHOWHOUND?

This is great indeed. I guess you and I joined this site from the same source (news article). We therefore are buddies. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Pywacket, I love your user name. Tell me, do you have a bell, book, and candle in the kitchen while you are cooking? Does Kim Novak come over for dinner?

1 Like

LOL, well I have the book usually - though these days its my own recipes in an e-cookbook formatted to fit the screen on my e-reader. I have candles elsewhere. I have no bell, but I do have a couple of Tibetan singing bowls - perhaps thatā€™s close enough?

I loved the movie version (loved the book first), but I never did feel like Kim Novak was really right for that part. I keep picturing Audrey Hepburn in that role instead.

You canā€™t go wrong with Jimmy Stewart, no matter what.

1 Like

Yes
Yes
3 Ā©.

1 Like

Yes
Yes
Whatever suits my fancy at the moment. Iā€™d like to find more of my Westchester and CT ex hounds.

Just started one, Elsie -right now itā€™s kind of the rest of NY and CT but please, start posting!!!

1 Like

[quote=ā€œMad_R, post:128, topic:302, full:trueā€]
But why did Chowhound change? [/quote]
Seriously? Because they can . . . and did.

[quote=ā€œMad_R, post:128, topic:302, full:trueā€]
I guess a number of people made a nice amount of money ruining the site and could give a crap what will happen to it[/quote]
I would strongly disagree with this. Rather, itā€™s that the Powers That Be over at CBSi are n steps removed from the day-to-day actions of Chowhound, and ā€œruining the siteā€ is nothing more than a by-product of a desire to ā€œmaximize profits.ā€ And, as Iā€™ve said elsewhere, the execs directly in charge at CH have to justify their jobs, and so: letā€™s redesign the site,

I think that NEW readers are precisely the sort of people who WOULD visit. After all, the new design is all they know; ergo, they have no idea what the site used to be like, no idea if the new site is better or worse than before ā€“ indeed no idea there have ever been any change whatsoever!

Agreed.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve either hit a wall or this whole thing has jumped the shark for meā€¦ or maybe both. Two+ months of head-banging and (as some have counted) something like 5,000 posts later Iā€™m running out of gas. I think by now all the ā€˜feedbackā€™ has achieved as much repair as theyā€™re willing or able to do in the way of returning the site to a semi-likeness of at least the mechanical functionality it once had for me (though I have to use bookmarks (6 or 7 at this point) to read what I want to read in a way that Iā€™m comfortable with.

At this point Iā€™m getting really tired of the ā€˜talking point memoā€™ style of posting being done by a handful of site defenders and the ā€˜shameā€™ posts they make in trying to get people to stop posting feedback and return to food posting. When I try to return to food posting I find very little there I care to respond to, and I never really started too many topics except in Wine (which is now moribund). As much as they try to get people to believe that those still there can create their own new base for discussions I have to say Iā€™m too tired to try that hard AND I find the quality of posters to have dropped so much that Iā€™m not inclined to initiate or participate in discussions. Reading Jim Leffā€™s protestations that periodic ā€˜housecleaningā€™ is normal and good on such sites just added to the frustration. I just donā€™t get that (unless he wound up with some financial interest he needs to protect, or Iā€™ve misunderstood him for over 10 years). My truth is that ā€˜housecleaningā€™ was unnecessarily caused by the site itself and Iā€™m not going to wear rose-colored glasses on that subject.

Iā€™ll probably still check my favored ā€˜communities/tagsā€™ there, but I do it less and less now. Iā€™m not cutting the cord outright for spite as information is information wherever I can get it.

5 Likes
  1. Yes, lurker for 10+ years, poster for 9 years.
  2. Yes. I decided to take a short break from posting on CH, but that was a couple of years ago now. I still refer to various boards from time to time, but pretty infrequently. I just recently participated in a couple of posts, but it has more to do with my renewed intrigue due to HO discussions. I am really confused by the new format and disheartened to see that many people have been thrown off. I was an early and accidental defector, I guess, but it was my own decision and I have fond memories. I may still use it, weā€™ll see.
  3. Homecooking and Baking. But I am working on populating the regional boards in my area, as well.

YOU were suspended, LindaWhit? What in the world is going on over there?

I, too, loved tho old wine board.

I have to say, and I have nothing against the guy at all, I am so surprised at the positions (and maybe also the tone) taken by the revered and undisputed OG of CH (Jim Leff) regarding the dismay and dissent of many loyal users of the community he created. It feels a little bit disloyal. I still think the world of him and what he built because it has given me so muchā€¦ maybe thatā€™s why it kind of hurts, though, too.

Anyway, itā€™s good to see you here.

1 Like

Hope you enouraged them to move over here, June.

By the by, are you in direct contact with any of the other UK regulars and could suggest they might have more fun playing here?

Best to do that outside the CH site John. Folks have been suspended for encouraging CH friends to join H.O. First time usually merits a warning but after that its the AX

True, @Tom34, butā€¦I reckon you could include a link, on the CH UK board, referencing a topic on HO.

As in, ā€œI just read an interesting piece about Restaurant X, here: [insert link] and was wondering if any of you have tried it?ā€ I think that if you include the link that way, itā€™s not directly recruiting. In fact, itā€™s stimulating discussion :smile: (Or one could make that argument, at least. No valid reason to remove the post.)

3 Likes

Thats a nice creative way to do it. :smiley:

1 Like

And a tinyurl is sneaky but effective

1 Like

Whatā€™s happened, John, is that I was contacted by quite a few people when this website sprung up. I havenā€™t encouraged anyone other than some friends in America that used to be CH regulars.

I was surprised the other day to see a few people still posting thereā€¦ I wonā€™t mention any names.

Iā€™d love to know where you were in the States for 3 weeks. Boy, am I turning greenish with envy.

I got my wrist slapped for re-posting the LA Times article that got me here. I put it on the food and media board so people outside of LA might see it.

It was already on the Food & Media board (still is). Yours was a duplicate thread, and thatā€™s why it got locked.

1 Like

Got it - thanks small_h. I really just wanted more people than LA folks to see it.