Survey: CHOWHOUND or not CHOWHOUND?

1. Yes
  2. Yes…thanks to other defected CHers
  3. Regional – mostly NJ & Philly…& to a lesser extent (weekly as opposed to daily) NYC. Looks like this will also be my new reference for when I travel for work.
    It’s great to see so many familiar names as excited abt this new site as I am!
1 Like

yes.
more here now.
Home Cooking
SF Bay Area

3 Likes

But why did Chowhound change?

I guess a number of people made a nice amount of money ruining the site and could give a crap what will happen to it

why anyone would visit there now? especially new readers

what a shame

Chowhound may or may not survive this. Even if it doesn’t, it may be the best for everyone. Sometime the old has to fade into for the new to come about.

3 Likes
  1. Yes, from CH.
  2. YES! Spending much more time here than there. The other playground had become considerably joyless over time for me, so my posting activity dropped quite a bit over the past few years. Here now feels like I used to feel about there when I first joined (late '08?). Actually, I like it even more for some reason. Perhaps because it’s all new, it doesn’t feel clannish and there’s no BS–just feels good to have found somewhere new and pleasant to play and share about food.
    3 c) Home Cook
7 Likes

Yes
Yes
General discussion

2 Likes

Yes, I was on CH, but not a frequent poster, mostly just read pertinent conversations. We live just out the backdoor of nowhere, so CH discussions about dining in Paris, siracha sauce, and how to prepare pork belly doesn’t touch my experience. Many of the posts on CH were a “trifle” pretentious.
I spend more time on Hungry than on Chow and plan to continue.
I like the home cook board, the cookware board, and especially the gardening and farming board (go figure, since we are on a small farm).

3 Likes

Yes
About equal right now
Home cooking

2 Likes
      Hey, why don't we do a little survey?  First, it is for 

fun. Second, it will serve as a way to introduce ourselves to each
others.
I think a good number of people are/were from CHOWHOUND. So why don’t we start with that?

1. Are/were you from CHOWHOUND?
    Yes, or No? (feel free to elaborate)
    Yes. I can’t really remember how I happened to join chowhound, though I’ve been posting about food and travel since I’ve had an internet account (other than the strange little university-based ones long ago) in the 1990s.

2. At this moment, are you spending more time here than on CHOWHOUND?
    Yes, No, Non-applicable (feel free to elaborate)

3. Definitely here, but less than at chowhound in its heyday, as not all the categories I posted on exist here yet.
    The other new food board doesn’t interest me as it is mainly about California and I rarely travel there. If I travel to the west coast of North America it is to BC, for work at conferences.

4. What is the single most interesting board/topic to you?
    a) Regional (e.g. San Francisco, New York…etc)
    b) General
    c) Home Cook
    d) Cookware
    e) Others
    Definitely Québec including Montréal. I’ve long given travel advice on Lonely Planet and other sites that have spinned off from that. I’m interested in General, Home Cook, Cookware and others. I follow the V & V board: I’m not vegetarian, but try to eat a mostly plant-based diet.

At first I found the Chowhound board strangely antagonistic. I had posts removed for no reason; they had not insulted the board or any other poster. Conversely later on we could get into little tiffs and there was not much moderation.

The guidelines on boards should be clearer. Yes, food boards should be centred on food and related topics, but are environmental and human-rights issues (related to food and eating) legitimate or not?

Beyond that, I’m happy to see many posters I got to know over there. Whether or not we usually agreed. Like a big messy family at a banquet.

Thanks.

3 Likes
  1. Yes, several times in fact. I keep losing my usernames, passwords, and/or e-mail accounts. So I’ve had several CH accounts over the years, some of which have overlapped at times as my memory waxes and wanes and I remember or forget usernames and passwords, LOL!

2. Here. I haven’t spent much time on CH for years. The uneven moderating was the main issue at first, but then there was also more and more “content” (on the CHOW side mostly) that was just … annoyingly inappropriate and/or just plain WRONG.

3. Home cooking, cooking in general really. I wish there was a separate baking thread. And cookware, whenever I’m in the market for something new or feel I can help someone else who has asked a question. Not yet here, but I was semi-active in that regard on CH off and on.

1 Like

Maybe a “politics of food” forum? Then people could have those discussions without impinging on people who just want to enjoy their (shudder) foie gras.

3 Likes

Yes I am from CH
More here now it sort of feels like summer camp instead of school. All your friends but less rulers across the knuckles
Home cooking. Cookware and regional Philadelphia

6 Likes

From CH
Spending more time here
Cookware

No, not from CH. not a member, just checking out CH articles from time to time via Google.
Was lurking in eGullet before the everybody desert the place a few years ago. (sorry, no more 100%)

n/a

I like the home cooking, cookware board.

1 Like

Welcome naf !! If you don’t mind me asking, if you weren’t from Chow, how did you learn about our group here?

How cool–we have completely new people joining, too. NICE!

2 Likes

Wow. Wow.

Alert everyone.

We have a non-Chowhound new comer. :kissing_heart:

We are finally gaining true new comer.

By the way, how did you find out this site?
I found out Chowhound by searching information via Google, and Googles pointed me to Chowhound a few times and I finally decided to join it to post a question or two. As for HungryOnion, I found out through a news article about people leaving Chowhound (so it is a completely different route).

4 Likes

A foodie friend emailed me a piece of press on CH site change and how people are leaving. I came to look around, find it quite fun and signed up. :blush:

8 Likes

Awesome!!! I’m glad you are enjoying it! If you have any like minded friends who you think would enjoy it please help spread the word!! In the mean time, please enjoy and welcome one again !!

3 Likes

Just to go off topic for a minute, your screen name and picture make me giggle, because we had a board on our old playground, “Not About Food” (NAF for short) which usually kicked up some of the more, shall we say, heated discussions. So your avatar makes me grin because you sort of look like a naughty elf. Very appropriate for NAF. HA HA!

7 Likes