Survey: CHOWHOUND or not CHOWHOUND?

1167 posts only? no way. You have at least hundreds of pages of posts, at least that’s what i recall. At the rate you are posting now here, you will hit 1167 next month. :slightly_smiling:

1,167 original posts or threads which I started :slight_smile:

In CH, I usually first look for any existing posts on a certain restaurant, then continue to post follow-ups on that thread - I guess that doesn’t count as a (original) “post” using CH’s methodology :slightly_smiling:

Anyway, I’m continuing to compile a database of good eats on Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. on Hungry Onion now - Internet is easier to refer to than Facebook. So, pre-Sep 2015 is CH, and post-Sep 2015 is HO for me :smiley:

BTW, HO is beginning to get some attention - this Google search showed my Hungry Onion post on Eiah-Sae in Bangkok as the second-highest referenced page on that eatery, right after BK magazine’s online page - BK is a very well-established, popular local Bangkok food/event weekly guide.

8 Likes

And how do you figure that out? Is there a stat on their site?

Yes, indeed - there was when I checked last Sep.

That’s also egullet’s methodolgy which they lightly enforce. Start a new thread and you’re likely to find it merged with an existing. I quite like that. On the UK board we used to have some long ongoing threads about several popular places - it was interesting to track a place’s development over what cold be several years. And, of course, if you just wanted to know how a place was now, you just went straight to the last page.

1 Like

seriously, these posts are a great resource. If I ever go to that part of the world I’ll be really thankful!

3 Likes

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/chowhound.com

Lots of clicks and referrals, but not a lot of posters. Just as they planned it.

1 Like

Yeah, it must be nice for you, showing up somewhere other than APBs and “most wanted” lists.

1 Like

I wonder what Chowhound is trying to turn itself into. Not the old Chowhound for sure, but not epicurious.com or marthastewart.com.

How do you derive number of posters from the alexa site?

Maybe soon I can take my disguise off and reveal my true identity!!

5 Likes

You don’t unless you pay, I imagine. But you can see for yourself if you view CH that posting traffic is way down and there is very little to no interest or commitment on CH’s part to making it a high maintenance forum based site when the traffic and resulting ad revenue is way up.

The suspense is killing everyone, haunted by the not knowing, we are.

I mean, on tenterhooks.

2 Likes

I think I saw his picture at the post office…

2 Likes
  1. Yes. I think I was pretty close to the beginning of CH, but under a different user name. I hope my username here doesn’t offend anyone. For continuity and in keeping with my simple mind, I’ll stay with “floridahound.” Thanks for bearing with me, a creature of habit.
  2. I have continued to periodically post on CH, and only seriously looked at Hungry Onion (this thread) about an hour ago. Old home week, with Caroline1, winecountrygirl, LindaWhit, Sunshine 842, and so many others! What a great group, and great “welcoming committee!”
  3. a-Florida regional board (lately an echo chamber of emptiness at CH, I’m afraid) and b- General Topics
3 Likes

just to catch you up – we’re sorta-kinda tossing the idea of a meet-up (which I dubbed a HO-down) :wink: in early summer, as meatn3 will be in the Bay area visiting family.

We’ll hope that you’re feeling up to a venture in a few months!

1 Like

re: “…feeling up to a venture in a few months…” This could be very cool. But as I sadly posted on a similar thread, I am taking care of some medical issues that have kept me out of circulation and limited travel for a while. Maybe “a few months” will be the perfect timeframe for this rendezvous. Thanks for the invite and keep me posted, PLEEZE!

1 Like

Personally I do find any mention of Florida to be offensive and innapropriate. I guess in your case I will do my best to look beyond it and not be offended by your handle.

Welcome to hungry onion! Maybe with time you can evolve into hungry onion hound! HoH!

(Hope you know I’m just teasing!) welcome and please enjoy!

3 Likes

Mostly because Florida is an offensive state.

1 Like

You said it Ck not me!