Survey: CHOWHOUND or not CHOWHOUND?

From CH.
Still go there first, but it’s really dead these days.
Regional board (Toronto), Food Media, Not About Food and Home Cooking.

Welcome Hal!! Have a look around, take your shoes off and make yourself at home!!

Hal, that regional board used to be Ontario (including Toronto) I have family in Ottawa and in Gatineau on the Québec side, and was always frustrated by the lack of recommendations in the National Capital Region and in general, in Eastern Ontario. Ottawa is a big city now.

Sadly, the Québec board is a shadow of itself, and not too much action here either.

Chowhound is dead. Long live the Hungry Onion.

3 Likes

This sounds like something straight from Shakespeare

2 Likes

If you put an “f” bomb or “n” word in it could be Straight Outta Compton.

4 Likes

And the Magic House thread.

3 Likes

The other epic was the BBQ ribs and the body under the patio.

Who is the dude with his friend Ros?

1 Like

I wouldn’t bet the farm Roz exists…

2 Likes

I’d bet she doesnt.

Those threads are lovely bits of creative fiction.

1 Like

I used to read the Roz threads purely for the creativity. Always assumed “she” was some amalgamation of people the author knew or had heard about. Or possibly a Larry David creation.

2 Likes

I tried to post a thread on a new restaurant on Chowhound this weekend. I couldn’t figure it out. Got blocked at the Add Tags stage. So I’m done there.

2 Likes
  1. Yes, I was a Chowhound regular for several years. But in the last year or so, it was really spotty. Read a lot, just wasn’t posting. Once the new format took place, I quit posting at all.

2. I do spend more time here. I check Chowhound occasionally, but they are lucky if I look there twice a month. I like the people here, and a lot of my CH friends are here now. Luckily, I never did anything to get banned, but then I guess it was because I wasn’t posting.

Home Cooking and Cookware are my favorites. I also participated in the DOTM on occasion. Good to see all of you.

2 Likes
  1. Are/were you from CHOWHOUND?
    Oh yes, banned once, still there now since I’ve learned to toe the line.

2. At this moment, are you spending more time here than on CHOWHOUND?
    I shall now that I know it’s here.

3. What is the single most interesting board/topic to you?
    Tristate NY restaurant suggestions that survive my hot buttons - an anathema for bad service, tiny bits of food piled high to look like more, overpriced menus, priced parking (I don’t pay to eat), and the inability to make a perfect Sidecar.

1 Like
  1. Yes from Chowhound.

2. I stopped going to CH when the restaurant recs were of no help and I guess in the time that I was away the whole place has gone to hell in a handbasket. To be honest I get on now to get restaurant recs to different cities that I visit and to keep up with the Top Chef discussions and talk to my friends from there.

3. Regional and General Media.

How have those discussions been, Phaedrus?

I have been MIA because I am about to change jobs, so I have not been keeping up. I just checked after posting that last post and discovered that there hasn’t been any.

I know. No one’s talking about it anymore. I would…

There are threads for each TC episode on Chowhound, but they don’t generate much discussion (the 2 restaurant war episodes have 16 and 22 posts, and I think they are season highs). And there are no recaps like LW produced; the thread usually starts with a link to a Bravo blog.

Congrats on the new job!