Supermarket Status [Monmouth County, NJ]

It’s so interesting how random what stores have in stock seems to be.

I was at the Neptune Shoprite last Thursday (4/23 ~2:30pm). Produce looked pretty good though I was only looking for very specific things as I picked up an order from A and J the day before. Martins Potato Rolls were in stock and the rest of the packaged bread seemed well filled. I couldn’t find sour cream or cream cheese 2 weeks prior and was able to buy it that day but there was no cottage cheese. No paper goods of any kind. No “sanitizing” cleaning products except toilet bowl cleaner ( I bought a couple as an emergency backup and I have 4 toilets in my house). I didn’t look closely at the meat/poultry section except walking by but they seemed ok. It seemed like everyone had a mask though some people were not wearing theirs correctly. Everyone seemed to be trying to maintain distance but it can be hard when turning a corner. I switched cashiers - the one in my first line wasn’t wearing his correctly and was WAY too slow. There was plexiglass between cashier and customer on one side and a plastic shower curtain looking barrier on the other.

2 Likes

Things are hit or miss so I usually stock up if it’s something I use a lot, even if it wasn’t on my list. Lately, I’ve been filling in with Target because people don’t really go there for food. Yesterday I got milk, broccoli, and avocados 5 for $5, among other things. And they also had disinfecting wipes :partying_face:

I went 5 minutes after opening Monday morning and walked right in (Manalapan).

3 Likes

I do the same. I am VERY fortunate that I have 2 fridges with freezers, a small chest freezer, and the finances to stock up. I keep a pad of paper available for the family to write down what they want (why do they always add something 5 minutes after I get back?) I reorganize the list by category/store location before I leave so I am sure I get what I need. If I see something in abundance I may buy 2 because you know never know what will be available the next time.

I do quickly go down most aisles just in case something is in stock that I don’t really need now but may not be when I do need it.

Thanks for the tip about Target. Good score on the wipes.

6 Likes

I was at Dean’s Natural Market in Shrewsbury, Red Bank yesterday. They had plentyof everything except flour and yeast. The store was virtually empty of people at 10am and the staff was friendly and helpful. Lots of great veggies and meats. They even had tofu which Whole Foods and Wegmans did not. https://www.deansnaturalfoodmarket.com/

3 Likes

So I was killing time yesterday waiting for a dinner pick up from Cuzins on route 79 in Marlboro ( had about 30 minutes to kill) I decided to drive by Wegmans’s Manalapan to see if I could just make a quick pick up of some stuff.
That’s seems to be impossible ,at 4:30 on a Wednesday afternoon it’s a minimum half hour wait.
So off to Tuscany in the same strip as Cuzins and loaded up on a weeks supply of fresh vegetables & meats & specialty items.
So cross Wegmans’s off my go to place.
I am too old for this waiting line routine.
Cuzins dinner of their Fra diavolo a huge Greek salad and a clams in a white sauce& pasta was good.
I live less than 5 minutes from Cuzins but still had to hit the clam dish for a minute in the microwave to get it to my liking.
The Fra diavolo was in a metal container so it was hot enough and enough for 2 meals, looked like a 1 pound lobster with lots of clams, shrimp & mussels, scallops and plenty of pasta.
Tough times we live in, this should be my biggest problem , right?

4 Likes

You definitely have to plan Wegman’s, but once you get in, it’s nice. Carts are sanitized, shelves are stocked, prices are fair and not too many people in at once. I waited 15 minutes yesterday morning, probably because it was rainy. In nice weather and later in the day I would plan on a 30 minute wait to get in.

2 Likes

Steve, I too had Cuzins a couple weeks ago and it was very good. Might I suggest you re-post your mini review of the food on the thread for Cuzin’s. I think it’s better to give places the exposure they deserve than having it buried on this thread where people aren’t going to be looking for a review of Cuzins. Just a friendly suggestion!!

2 Likes

It’s probably a time-of-day thing. I don’t hit the “senior hour” (6AM? really?), but at 8AM, Shoprite (Aberdeen) is not very crowded at all. My guess is that later in the day it fills up. If you really want Wegman’s, you probably need to go early in the day.

Not following Jr’s advice by posting on the Cuzin’s thread, we also took in once during the quarantine. The portion size of the fried seafood combo alone could have fed 3-4 people. I’ve now taken out from Cuzin’s, but have yet to eat in.

2 Likes

I would be happy to re post on the correct thread, but I don’t know how .
Maybe an admin can do it.
I like Cuzins and am happy to give them good exposure.

Yeah , that fried seafood combo is truly a beast .Excellent seafood and plenty of it.

Steve,
Here is the link to the Cuzin’s specific thread. If you click on this you can then post in the thread just like you did this one. It’s not mandatory and I am in no way chastising you, I just like to see the restaurants get as much attention as possible, especially given these very unique situations.

Thanks & stay safe my friend!

2 Likes

I agree once you get to the carts everything is pretty good all things considered, just too many options to put up with waiting on line.

Done, thanks for improving my social media skills. Stay healthy too!

2 Likes

Got our now-weekly order from Cuttler’s on Tuesday; I’ve been splitting the orders/ordering and pickup duties with a friend who lives up the street. He had to be on a work call so I went to get it, and OHBOY was my week made! The one thing I realized I hadn’t ordered was spinach, but I figured I can go a few days without it (I put 2 huge handfuls in my eggs every morning)…he had ordered some, though, and we were shocked to see a PILLOW-sized bag. 2.5lbs of gorgeous baby spinach! Needless to say, I won’t run out any time soon, and now it will be part of our weekly order.

2 Likes

I was just in Target, Ocean (no wipes). I saw grabbed the last tube of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls for you. PM me for address and I’ll leave them outside for you.

2 Likes

Net Cost Manalapan No wait , Purell at the door & the shelves are all fully loaded.
I went on a whim looking for a bit of smoked salmon & some Eastern Europe treats. My surprise that I could walk right in greeted by a spotless store.
As far as prepared food the steam tables were bare as could be expected.
The bakery, fresh fish , butcher departments were active only 1 or 2 in front of me.
Lots of dairy products ,no shelf seemed empty.
I didn’t look for any paper products or cleaning products.
Fruits & Vegetables looked fresh.
Checking out took me about 5 minutes to get to the register & they gave me a15% discount even without the courtesy card.
BTW girl friend had a prescription ready at Wegmans’s but I avoided the 45 minute waiting line by using their curb side pick up, very convenient.
Seems likely that I will be going to Net Cost more often.

3 Likes

My husband stopped by Dearborn earlier and they had rubbing alcohol but no napkins.

2 Likes

Stop an Shop on 35 in Neptune had a surprising amount of toilet paper and paper towels both name brands and store brand

3 Likes

I’ve been getting Hillshire Farms turkey at Walmart.