Supermarket Status [Monmouth County, NJ]

Kale is so awful when will it end.

4 Likes

You are given an options:
1.) you can end the pandemic immediately, no more deaths or anyone getting stricken again
( in order for the above to happen, you must eat Kale with every meal for the rest of your life)

2.) let the virus run it’s course.

You pick!!!

5 Likes

Kale Ice Cream here I come!

4 Likes

Hmmm, the virus apparently has a fairly low mortality rate. However I project that my personal likelihood of self immolation if required to eat kale at every meal would be significantly higher.

2 Likes

This is cracking me up, especially because I just sauteed some kale! Seriously. :blush:

Pick me! Pick me! I love kale, steamed or prepared Ethiopian style. As a side benefit, it helps prevent/stop the nosebleeds I get in really dry weather or when I blow my nose a lot. (I know–TMI.:face_vomiting:)

2 Likes

That is a tough one Bob. The kale would probably drive you nuts slowly.

Lidl this morning was about what I expected. Lines moved fast and I only waited maybe 3 minutes on line. I needed some basic stuff like half and half, coffee, oil for all the frying I’ve been doing, etc. I stumbled across this new spicy chicken rub. There were only a few left so I grabbed one. I will report back but this baby just went on old green

Ps, that is mustard. It holds the rub on better.

7 Likes

Update…coming along nicely :slight_smile:

11 Likes

looks awesome man!

A Carton or 6 and you’ve got it made…if only the weather would cooperate.

2 Likes

When it gets into the 70s this thing is gonna blow. Like pop.

Went to Sickles today. Took a number at the deli. One of the guys behind the counter was making sandwiches. Upon closer inspection he had a jar of Skippy and another jar of Welch’s Grape jelly, and was coating white bread with each. Those parents must really be exhausted to order PB&J @ Sickles.

6 Likes

I think we found a winner

2 Likes

They were probably $8.95 each.

2 Likes

A neighbor is the manager of a supermarket. We had a brief street conversation today. He said last week the actually received 20 pallets(!) of toilet paper!

Even with the restrictions, it was gone in no time. So people are definitely still overbuying according to him.

2 Likes

Update on Shoprite (Aberdeen) (Mon, 04/27, 8AM):

They are pretty well stocked, and had the trifecta: toilet paper, paper towels, and facial tissues!

Produce section full, but no tofu. (The bags of grapes seemed to have smaller bunches than usual in them–possibly a way of rationing out the supply.) Plenty of kosher chicken (though no prepared kosher roasters). (If you want ordinary prepared rotisserie chickens, they had a zillion of them for $4.99 each.) They had brown rice, but only expensive brands or 5-pound bags. They had canned mushrooms (yay!) and finally white vinegar. (Mark uses it to clean his CPAP equipment.) A fair amount of ramen on the shelf, also pasta. Not much butter, but they did have what I wanted (tub of unsalted). Extra-large eggs at 2.49/dozen. Not much refrigerated juice. Milk seemed reasonably stocked. Lots of gaps in frozen vegetables (still no frozen peas). Only one person ahead of me in check-out line.

In general, things seem to be slowly getting back to normal. (Well, except for the distancing and face masks. And I’ve retired my reusable bags for the duration, meaning I will soon have a lifetime supply of plastic bags.)

And an odd peripheral note: We don’t seem to be generating that much more garbage or recyclables than when we ate out a lot. We still put our large wheelie out ever two weeks or so, and the recyclables every four weeks or so. I’m not sure why that is.

3 Likes

just following up on your point on stock as of late - after 4 online shopping orders at shoprite and food town over last 3 weeks I’ve put in for pillsbury tubes of cinnamon rolls each time to not have then filed once. Given that spots are no longer doing substations this has resulted in me selecting three different types of tubes each order and never once having them fulfilled. I didn’t know that people shared an affinity for these in the same manner my family does. 0 for 16 in April. one more try this week -we’ll see how it goes; forget about pre-sliced cold cuts for lunch, I’d be better looking for Clorox wipes.
Of course, I’ve experience the same for shredded cheeses (assume home made pizza and taco Tuesdays are on the forefront of this) and sour cream. Smash cut to my order this week- where for the first time in 4 tries I actually got sour cream- all 4 that I requested using the same thought process as the cinnamon rolls…SMH…dip time in our house this week…

2 Likes

Have you noticed chicken breast in the food stores? Either my timing sucks or moms are buying chicken for kids like it is going out of style. I am referring to boneless breast meat with skin off. I guess kids love chicken. My theory

Boneless/skinless breasts were the only chicken parts the Neptune SRite had last week…even in Family Packs. The chicken section was just decimated–and I suspect it’s because it’s a cheaper protein. Ironically, there were plenty of Perdue breaded nuggets available.

BJs typically has boneless skinless chicken breasts when I am there

Thanks for tips.

Maybe I am referring to the earlier corona days now that I think about it. For a while there were no chicken breasts available. Things may have changed though.